Sharing between XP and win 98

Old April 1st 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Default Sharing between XP and win 98

Hi
I have a Win 98 PC connected driecty via cat5 cable to BT Voyager Wireless
modem/router I also have a laptop running winXP (built in wirleess card)and
am able to see the PC using the laptop but unable to connect to it as it
keeps asking for user and passoerd when none setup.

I have disabled the Zonealarm firewall on the PC an still same - I recall
somone mentioned something about users/groups in XP need to modified - any
assisstance appreciated as i would like to be able to share files between
the two and also have another PC and laptop on Win me i use now and again
which uses the Voyager USB wireless card or PCMCIA wireless card

Browsing net is fine on all machines and sharing seems fine between win 98
machine and win Me pc/laptop.
sharing with the XP laptop is the main issue.

any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Mebo

Old April 1st 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

"Me" wrote in
:

Browsing net is fine on all machines and sharing seems fine
between win 98 machine and win Me pc/laptop.
sharing with the XP laptop is the main issue.

Windows Networks requires communication on port 137, 138, 139. Printer
sharing requires communication on port 445.

Check that the WinXP ICF firewall is disabled. There have been problems
reported with ZoneAlarm not being disabled properly and requiring to be
uninstalled.

Suggest you run temporarily with *no* firewall products installed. When
you're happy things are working, reinstall your selected product (I use
Sygate) and set up a trusted zone which allows all traffic between your
local devices.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old April 1st 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris Shaw

Hi,

Windows NT/2000/XP won't allow un-authenticated connections. You can
enable the 'guest' account on XP that should allow such connections
from 98 but this is less secure.

The other method is to create identical user accounts on both 98 and
XP but this requires more work on the 98 side.

Kris.