ADSL Microfilters - Any difference between cheap & expensive

Old April 2nd 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

Default ADSL Microfilters - Any difference between cheap & expensive

I will shortly be having ADSL provided and note that there is quite a
price range of plug in Microfilters. My question is, can it be
worthwhile paying, sometimes 10 times the cost, for a more expensive
item?

Maplin sell them for 6.99, Dabs are 4.50 whereas Solwise are about
15. I have even seen them for 1.99. The Solwise page does suggest
that the cheaper ones don't work correctly until an internal wire is
cut.

Anyone care to pass on any experiences or maybe recommend a
make/source that work correctly and won't break the bank.

Many thanks,

Rufus
--
The Reply-To: address is valid.
Old April 2nd 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
&
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_articles.htm

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old April 2nd 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Rufus Stone" wrote in message
idual.de...
I will shortly be having ADSL provided and note that there is quite a
price range of plug in Microfilters. My question is, can it be
worthwhile paying, sometimes 10 times the cost, for a more expensive
item?

Maplin sell them for 6.99, Dabs are 4.50 whereas Solwise are about
15. I have even seen them for 1.99. The Solwise page does suggest
that the cheaper ones don't work correctly until an internal wire is
cut.

Anyone care to pass on any experiences or maybe recommend a
make/source that work correctly and won't break the bank.

First, take a look here http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

In my opinion the "best" filter to use is the cheapest one that works in
your setup. Technology used inside the filters varies a lot.

Some people can get away with 1.17 filters from Ebuyer
http://tinyurl.com/7v7n (Some companies charge a lot more for basically the
same filter.)

Some people, who may for example have sky digiboxes, DECT phones, CLI
Displays, or low signal-to-noise ratio (long way from exchange) etc may need
more expensive filters, the Fujitsu is good or the adslnation one.

Jc

Old April 2nd 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I have SKY digital, a DECT phone and dodgy extension wiring

I had noise on the line with only one filter plugged in to where ADSL router
was
Put filters on all sockets - noise went away!

Which filters - 80p+vat from Ebuyer

I have no experience of other filters - but they worked well for me

Ian

Old April 2nd 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Grant

Rufus Stone wrote:
I will shortly be having ADSL provided and note that there is quite a
price range of plug in Microfilters. My question is, can it be
worthwhile paying, sometimes 10 times the cost, for a more expensive
item?

It is not so much the price but the quality of the design. Sadly you
will find some very basic filters sold for more than better quality
ones. If you take a look at the filters page indicated by Andy and Josey
you can see the various designs.
Old April 3rd 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gary Hough

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message
-snip-
I had loads of problems with my cheapo filter until I spent a tenner on
the ADSLNation one, and all my problems were solved.

Agreed! The ADSL Nation ones http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xf-1e.php
are superb. I used the Excelsius Z Blockers which were okay bar 1, but the
Adsl Nation ones are far superior.

Gary