1mb vs 512K

Old April 2nd 04, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default 1mb vs 512K

I just can't decide which to go for, currently 64K HH.

I have a Demon dial up which I am thinking I want to keep so in that
respect Demon 512k at 24.99 and Free activation would be the most
economical route. I'd keep a long standing hostanme and nntp news
access.

I like the idea of 1MB too amnd have been looking at Hi-Velocity's
Datastream promo of 25.99/month plus 58.75 activation (This would be
down a Telefonica pipe afaik). No nntp server at the moment with H-V so
for any binary d/l's I need to look at something like Forte's APN
service.

Anybody able to help me decide - is 1MB Datatsream (Hi-V) at a initial
12 month cost of 370.63 worth it[1] over Demons 512k at 299.88 ? If I
were to keep my Demon dialup that would add 141.00 to my yearly cost
with H-V.

[1] I appreciate that such a question is subjective as "worth it" to
you may not be to somebody else - just some idea from those that
might have moved from 512k to 1MB would be helpful.

Thanks for any help !

Old April 2nd 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

wrote in message
[...]

Depends what you want to use your connection for really. If you download a
lot of stuff (like P2P, binaries and mp3's etc) then, of course, 1mb will be
a distinct advantage allowing you to collect stuff a lot quicker.

However, if you are really only into surfing, emailing (without large
attachments) etc, then it might not be worth the extra money. I didn't
really see that much difference between my 512 and 1mb connection from
Nildram with regard to browsing and email. Downloads are twice the speed
though (obviously!)

Reading the ADSLGuide forums, some people have experienced a change in ping
time (some for the worse, some for the better) when migrating to 1mb and a
few people are experiencing download speed problems (the connection never
seems to reach its full speed). I haven't experienced either though.

All I do know is that you will see a huge difference between your current
64k HH connection and 512 ADSL.
regards, James

Old April 2nd 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

wrote in message
I just can't decide which to go for, currently 64K HH.

There's www.fast24.net and they have an nntp server although I must say it
is rather slow and posts take a while to populate. Also, people complain of
poor pingtimes and poor download rates on the 2mb services. I'm with the 1mb
serviuce @ 27.50 pm (i think) and am satisfied.

Old April 2nd 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

wrote in message
I just can't decide which to go for, currently 64K HH.

There's www.fast24.net and they have an nntp server although I must say it
is rather slow and posts take a while to populate. Also, people complain

of
poor pingtimes and poor download rates on the 2mb services. I'm with the

1mb
serviuce @ 27.50 pm (i think) and am satisfied.

Do you know if it is dynamic or static ip address they allocate? I had a
look on their site but couldn't find anything.

cheers

Steven.

Old April 2nd 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

James Hurrell wrote:

Depends what you want to use your connection for really. If you download a
lot of stuff (like P2P,

Nope.

binaries

One or two Binary groups via nntp yes.

and mp3's etc)

No.

then, of course, 1mb will be
a distinct advantage allowing you to collect stuff a lot quicker.

However, if you are really only into surfing, emailing (without large
attachments) etc, then it might not be worth the extra money. I didn't
really see that much difference between my 512 and 1mb connection from
Nildram with regard to browsing and email. Downloads are twice the speed
though (obviously!)

[..]

All I do know is that you will see a huge difference between your current
64k HH connection and 512 ADSL.

Perhaps Demons 512K would be an OK option then especially as I don't
really want to loose that hostname.

Thanks for the feedback James.

Old April 2nd 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

tHatDudeUK wrote:

There's www.fast24.net and they have an nntp server although I must say it

[..]

Thanks - I'll take a look see.

Old April 2nd 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Do you know if it is dynamic or static ip address they allocate? I had a
look on their site but couldn't find anything.

It's dynamic but AFAIK you can get a static one for an extra 1 per month