CPU 100 %

Old April 3rd 04, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stufrith

Default CPU 100 %

I have a Broadband connection. I have E-Donkey ,when I leave the pc to
download overnight in the morning the CPU is showing 100%. My downloads
have all but diminished and I have to unplug my modem to get any response.
Does any one have any ideas as to what might be causing me this problem....
Thx in advance.

Old April 3rd 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"stufrith" wrote in message
I have a Broadband connection. I have E-Donkey ,when I leave the pc to
download overnight in the morning the CPU is showing 100%. My downloads
have all but diminished and I have to unplug my modem to get any response.
Does any one have any ideas as to what might be causing me this

problem....
Thx in advance.

What OS are you using? If you can get the Task Manager up by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-Del, click on the Processes tab and click twice on the CPU column
header. This will show you which processes are using the most bandwidth.
From here you may be able to sort out what is doing the damage.

HTH

Cheers

Nick

Old April 3rd 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have a Broadband connection. I have E-Donkey ,when I leave the pc to
download overnight in the morning the CPU is showing 100%. My downloads
have all but diminished and I have to unplug my modem to get any response.
Does any one have any ideas as to what might be causing me this problem....

I have a router and use bittorrent, and I get something similar* if my IP
address changes for some reason (connection to the exchange drops etc) -
it usually makes the machine crash / reset button job

Has your IP address changed overnight ?

* i`ve got two win98se machines, but only one crashes in this manner -
buggered if I know why :-}

Old April 3rd 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
drummie

Some p2p's use a lot of RAM when in operation so I think it's the p2p
program.

Old April 3rd 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:34:01 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "stufrith"
strung together this:

I have a Broadband connection. I have E-Donkey ,when I leave the pc to
download overnight in the morning the CPU is showing 100%. My downloads
have all but diminished and I have to unplug my modem to get any response.
Does any one have any ideas as to what might be causing me this problem....
Thx in advance.

More than likely the p2p helpfully downloading allsorts of crap for
you! Check for viruses\spyware\adware etc...
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 4th 04, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Some p2p's use a lot of RAM when in operation so I think it's the p2p
program.

If this was in reply to my comments, yes, i`d normally agree, but I use
cacheman and usually have over 150Mb free without a pagefile. The crash
can happen when the line drops whether i`m using p2p or not, yet the
other machine dangled off the same router is quite happy using p2p as the
connection drops.