Are BT blocking BTBroadband subscribers from BTOpenworld News Servers?

Old April 3rd 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Webster

Default Are BT blocking BTBroadband subscribers from BTOpenworld News Servers?

I am getting "502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.." when I
try to access the news.btopenworld.com NNTP server.
I have been using it for months - but in the last 2 weeks it has
started to kick me off.
I have sent email to them and got a form reply but nothing useful.
My broadband is the bare package from BTBroadband (from some part of
BT anyway - and not the Yahoo package).
Have they now decided that we do not qualify for access to the
BTOpenworld news service and are blocking the IP address range?
If not .. then anyone know what other reasons they might have for
this?

--
Paul Webster
(using alternate NNTP service)
Old April 3rd 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Pepper

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:58:42 +0100, [Paul Webster] mentioned :-

I am getting "502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.." when I
try to access the news.btopenworld.com NNTP server.
I have been using it for months - but in the last 2 weeks it has
started to kick me off.
I have sent email to them and got a form reply but nothing useful.
My broadband is the bare package from BTBroadband (from some part of
BT anyway - and not the Yahoo package).
Have they now decided that we do not qualify for access to the
BTOpenworld news service and are blocking the IP address range?
If not .. then anyone know what other reasons they might have for
this?

If the truth be known, you are not entitled to actually use the
BTOpenworld news server - your packages, as you say is "bear bones",
and doesn't come with news access, emails, webspace.

It is surprising that BT BB people were/are allowed to access it, so I
suppose the IP range was allowed.

However, I suspect it could be a glitch - it has given the message you
quoted before to "real" BTOpenworld punters recently too I believe, so
was probably server faults.
Old April 3rd 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 03 Apr 2004, Paul Webster wrote:

Have they now decided that we do not qualify for access to the
BTOpenworld news service and are blocking the IP address range?

You never did. Surely you've seen posts in the past querying anyone
who has suggested they might use BT Broadband... 27 quid for them to
just provide a connection, where even Demon (spit :-) at 24.99 offer
mail and news. The opening pages on the BT Broadband website give a
number of links under "Essentials" for buying in services from ISPs
like PlusNet or Claranet (which offers news too, for 9.99 a year, on
text groups only, or 29.99 gives you binaries, and also a domain
registration and webhosting... checking past posts for the URLs -
http://btbroadbandstart.bt.com/main.htm (Essentials, e-mail)
and http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/
Old April 3rd 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Webster

Dave Pepper wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:58:42 +0100, [Paul Webster] mentioned :-

I am getting "502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.." when I
try to access the news.btopenworld.com NNTP server.
I have been using it for months - but in the last 2 weeks it has
started to kick me off.
I have sent email to them and got a form reply but nothing useful.
My broadband is the bare package from BTBroadband (from some part of
BT anyway - and not the Yahoo package).
Have they now decided that we do not qualify for access to the
BTOpenworld news service and are blocking the IP address range?
If not .. then anyone know what other reasons they might have for
this?

If the truth be known, you are not entitled to actually use the
BTOpenworld news server - your packages, as you say is "bear bones",
and doesn't come with news access, emails, webspace.

... bare not bear ... ;-) no animals were hurt in this posting.

Anyway - I did know that there was no mail and no webspace .. news is
not specifically mentioned (unlike the other two).
However, no big issue ... I had done some research beforehand and I
was aware of the situation with a sort of grace and favour access to
btopenworld.

It is surprising that BT BB people were/are allowed to access it, so I
suppose the IP range was allowed.

It worked from day 1 for me (which was a few months back)

However, I suspect it could be a glitch - it has given the message you
quoted before to "real" BTOpenworld punters recently too I believe, so
was probably server faults.

Still doing it now - but clearly I can't now access the BT support
newsgroups to see if anyone else is reporting it.
It isn't mentioned on their faults page and seems to be rarely
mentioned in here.
Ah well - I'll keep trying every now and then.

--
Rgds
Paul Webster
Old April 3rd 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Webster

poster wrote:

On 03 Apr 2004, Paul Webster wrote:

Have they now decided that we do not qualify for access to the
BTOpenworld news service and are blocking the IP address range?

You never did. Surely you've seen posts in the past querying anyone
who has suggested they might use BT Broadband...

snip
Looks like I should have worded it better.
Yes - I knew that there was no formal offer of newsgroup access but I
did see that there were a number of postings on the btopenworld
newsgroups that showed that BT support were aware that BTBroadband had
access and I didn't spot anything from them to say that they were
going to block it. Maybe I missed it - and anyway I don't have access
to the entire back history of those closed BTOpenworld newsgroups.
My query was really about what appears to be a recent block rather
than whether or not the service should be available or if it is any
good.
--
Rgds
Paul Webster
Old April 3rd 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Pearce

"Paul Webster" wrote in message
poster wrote:

[...]

Dont worry about the lack of access, you will have it again very soon.
All BTO/BTY/BT whatever they rebrand themselves next week are
moving their adsl customers to the BTCentralPlus platform, ie
same platform as the BTBroadband customers.

Andrew

Old April 5th 04, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brisky

Paul I am getting the same error "502 You have no permission to talk.
Goodbye" now for over 2 weeks and cannot connect to the news servers at all.
I am NOT on a "bare package" I pay the 29.99. Their tech response from the
web site is NIL, they do not seem interested at all. Like you I cannot
access their newsgroups to get other users opinions or suggestions.
Regards
BrianT

Old April 5th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Webster

"brisky" wrote:

Paul I am getting the same error "502 You have no permission to talk.
Goodbye" now for over 2 weeks and cannot connect to the news servers at all.
I am NOT on a "bare package" I pay the 29.99. Their tech response from the
web site is NIL, they do not seem interested at all. Like you I cannot
access their newsgroups to get other users opinions or suggestions.

I see that we are both on 81.153.xxx.xxx
Maybe that is the common problem.

(FYI - the reason that my email address looks strange is that the
alternate service that we are both using require a valid email domain
name .. but they recogise that this is a spam trap so they endorse
using - I like many other (despite it being frowned
upon) have been using an obviously masked domain name for my NNTP for
a long time. Hopefully - you haven't just made yours pubilc by
"mistake" otherwise new spam will be coming your way within days)
--
Rgds
Paul Webster
Old April 5th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brisky

"brisky" wrote:

[...]

Thankx for info Paul, like you say the alternate service, I am being forced
to use by blasted BT, news.individual.net, requires me to have a valid email
address to post. I hope I don't start with spam, I will try and post with
your suggestion.

About the IP address, someone in alt.internet.providers.uk.btinternet has
suggested the same as you, the 81.153 and suggests I power down to change
it. I have turned off my zoom adsl modem, waited, but got the same IP
address back on reboot.

Cheers
BrianT

Old April 6th 04, 05:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

"brisky" wrote:

[...]

If you can "cancel" your existing message, you should be fine, hoping
that the newsgroup hasnt been trolled by too many spambots yet. the
privacy.net addresses work fine, and are somewhat endorsed by
individual.net too