RJ 45 4 wire pinouts

Old April 3rd 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default RJ 45 4 wire pinouts

Hi,

I need to make up two patch cords to go between my ADSL modem and my
PC - unfortunately the CAT 5 cable I have has only 2 pairs, not 4 as I
thought.

Can anyone please advise which 4 pins I need to use in the connector?

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Old April 3rd 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi,

I need to make up two patch cords to go between my ADSL modem and my
PC - unfortunately the CAT 5 cable I have has only 2 pairs, not 4 as I
thought.

Can anyone please advise which 4 pins I need to use in the connector?

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply

1 & 2 3 & 6

http://www.webtrader.ie/How%20to%20M...k%20Cables.htm

Old April 3rd 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:33:33 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Hi,

I need to make up two patch cords to go between my ADSL modem and my
PC - unfortunately the CAT 5 cable I have has only 2 pairs, not 4 as I
thought.

Can anyone please advise which 4 pins I need to use in the connector?

Thanks both for the info.

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Old April 6th 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NFI

Hi,
if it ain't got 4 pairs, then it ain't cat5 Unshielded Twisted Pair
cable...probably some phone cable or whatever.
If were you, I'd try to get hold of some proper UTP cable, failing that
connect it up like this:-

Looking at the RJ connector pins uppermost, pin 1 is on the left.
1st pair (they should be a colour & a white wire with stripes of the same
colour) go to pins 1 &2, white+colour goes to pin 1, & the plain colour wire
goes to pin 2.
The other pair should go white + colour to pins 3, & plain colour to pin
6.
Are the pairs blue & orange? If so, it is phone wire.

N.B. those cheap RJ45 crimp tools are rubbish, they don't crimp evenly -
oneside gets properly set whilst the other is not punched down fully. Try to
hire/borrow a pro tool - I find Telemaster ones work well.

HTH

Old April 6th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JD

"NFI" wrote in message

Hi,
if it ain't got 4 pairs, then it ain't cat5 Unshielded Twisted Pair
cable...probably some phone cable or whatever.

All together now.........

it normally only uses 4 connection/2 pairs
pins 4/5 & 7/8 are unused (unless you are using 100baseT4 or 100baseT)

Old April 6th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:17:35 +0100, "JD"
wrote:

"NFI" wrote in message

Hi,
if it ain't got 4 pairs, then it ain't cat5 Unshielded Twisted Pair
cable...probably some phone cable or whatever.

All together now.........

it normally only uses 4 connection/2 pairs
pins 4/5 & 7/8 are unused (unless you are using 100baseT4 or 100baseT)

Not quite - pinout for those who ca

10 AND 100baseT: 1/2 pair 1, 3/6 pair 2
pins 4,5,7,8 unused.

pair 1 are typically white/blue and blue/white
pair 2 are typically whire/orange and orange/white

10baseT doesn't need one of the two pairs, but these days, who uses
10baseT?

Unless you're wiring for 1000baseT you can use the other 4 wires for
another cable run, or for phone, or for audio.

Old April 7th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:12:49 +0000 (UTC), "NFI"
wrote:

Hi,
if it ain't got 4 pairs, then it ain't cat5 Unshielded Twisted Pair
cable...probably some phone cable or whatever.

The cable has printed on the sheath the following:

Multimedia cables 03/2001 E 120P2+ Evolution - 2 pairs patch FTP AWG26
120 ohms - iso/iec 11801 Category 5+ extended frequency 200MHz

So I would hazard a guess it is indeed cat 5

If were you, I'd try to get hold of some proper UTP cable, failing that
connect it up like this:-

Looking at the RJ connector pins uppermost, pin 1 is on the left.
1st pair (they should be a colour & a white wire with stripes of the same
colour) go to pins 1 &2, white+colour goes to pin 1, & the plain colour wire
goes to pin 2.
The other pair should go white + colour to pins 3, & plain colour to pin
6.

Thanks

Are the pairs blue & orange? If so, it is phone wire.

No, it's not 4 - wire phone cable

N.B. those cheap RJ45 crimp tools are rubbish, they don't crimp evenly -
oneside gets properly set whilst the other is not punched down fully. Try to
hire/borrow a pro tool - I find Telemaster ones work well.

I have a pro crimper - borrowed it from work

HTH

It does - many thanks

--
Cheers