BT Broadband (512) gone downhill over the past 6 months?

Old April 4th 04, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RancidButtChutney

Default BT Broadband (512) gone downhill over the past 6 months?

I don't know if it's just me, or BT in general, but it seems
like my BT Broadband (512) connectivity has gone
downhill over the past 6 months. When I initially installed
the kit I'd suffer no problems connecting, and very few
disconnects. These days I cannot connect without the aid of
that damn "optimizer" I found somewhere, and disconnections
are too frequent. If I thought my machine wasn't in spec. then
I'd understand, but it is *more* than capable. And I know I
am not at the edge of the exchange because if I were I wouldn't
get the thumbs up for their 1Mb package (not that I want it).

Anyone else having/had these problems?

Old April 4th 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 08:10:51 +0100, "RancidButtChutney"
wrote:

I don't know if it's just me, or BT in general, but it seems
like my BT Broadband (512) connectivity has gone
downhill over the past 6 months. When I initially installed
the kit I'd suffer no problems connecting, and very few
disconnects. These days I cannot connect without the aid of
that damn "optimizer" I found somewhere, and disconnections
are too frequent. If I thought my machine wasn't in spec. then
I'd understand, but it is *more* than capable. And I know I
am not at the edge of the exchange because if I were I wouldn't
get the thumbs up for their 1Mb package (not that I want it).

Anyone else having/had these problems?

I've had BTOpenworld BB (512) since Sept. last year and can't say I've
noticed a deterioration. Sometimes I have to do the log on a couple of
times, but that has only happened about 4 times - the last time was
last week and it took about 5 goes to log on. Never been disconnected.
I live in Sussex, about 1/2 mile from my exhange (as the crow flies).

By the way, what is, and where do I find, the "optimiser." Just in
case. In Sept., after my 12 months is up, I am thinking of migrating
to a 1Mb service. I have 3 services in mind, all cheaper than BT
Broadband. They are Central Point, Fast24, or Hi-Velocity. I wonder
whether there are any thoughts on these.
John
In limine sapientiae
Old April 4th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Parry

RancidButtChutney wrote:
I don't know if it's just me, or BT in general, but it seems
like my BT Broadband (512) connectivity has gone
downhill over the past 6 months. When I initially installed
the kit I'd suffer no problems connecting, and very few
disconnects. These days I cannot connect without the aid of
that damn "optimizer" I found somewhere, and disconnections
are too frequent. If I thought my machine wasn't in spec. then
I'd understand, but it is *more* than capable. And I know I
am not at the edge of the exchange because if I were I wouldn't
get the thumbs up for their 1Mb package (not that I want it).

Anyone else having/had these problems?

Cannot honestly say I've noticed any difference. Although I've installed
a router since so its autoconnect/always on anyway.

--
Steve Parry
K100RS SE

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Old April 4th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RancidButtChutney

"Steve Parry" wrote in message

Cannot honestly say I've noticed any difference. Although I've installed
a router since so its autoconnect/always on anyway.

I've noticed, every now and again, that if I pick up the telephone handset
there's a fair bit of noise on the line and I can clearly hear the modem
training. I tried switching the filters around but it makes no difference.
Wonder if they're both buggered? Can't say if there's a correlation
between the noisy line and the disconnects (or failure to connect). If
it keeps happening I'll tell me mum. Or get me dad to beat up Mr. BT.

Old April 4th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

I'm currently getting good service & speed from BTYahoo 512. I'm on the
extended reach ADSL too.
If you are using a USB modem then wonder if your problem is USB related ? I
initially had all sorts of speed and disconnection problems until I started
using the Ethernet connection on my ST 530 router.
Old April 4th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John Edgar" wrote in message
In Sept., after my 12 months is up, I am thinking of migrating
to a 1Mb service. I have 3 services in mind, all cheaper than BT
Broadband. They are Central Point, Fast24, or Hi-Velocity. I wonder
whether there are any thoughts on these.

Out of those 3, I would go for Hi-Velocity, based on how long they have all
been around, customer comments and Hi-Velocity's customer service - which I
have experienced and is very good..

Regards
Sunil