Is Sagem [email protected] 800 modem any good?

Old April 4th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john.mooney

Default Is Sagem [email protected] 800 modem any good?

I very nearly hooked up to Tiscali but after two faxes (one to customer
services, and one to MD's office) managed to cancel without ever having
experienced their service (or lack of it).Despite my best endeavours they
still managed to send out a modem and software to me.I've now had a letter
from them confirming that my disconnection will take place and BT should
clear my line within ten days.It seems they dont want modem back and I
wondered whether to keep or bin it.
Comments appreciated.

Old April 4th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

"john.mooney" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I very nearly hooked up to Tiscali but after two faxes (one to customer
services, and one to MD's office) managed to cancel without ever having
experienced their service (or lack of it).Despite my best endeavours they
still managed to send out a modem and software to me.I've now had a letter
from them confirming that my disconnection will take place and BT should
clear my line within ten days.It seems they dont want modem back and I
wondered whether to keep or bin it.
Comments appreciated.

Great little modem that one. I know quite a few people connected to Tiscali
who are using that modem. Its a little square blue coloured unit, with a
shiny clear plastic cover over the LED. A friend of mine has run one for
three months, 24/7 no problems. I have one here too, but don't use it as I
have a Modem/router intead.

Jim

Can I ask, why did you sign up to Tiscali and then pull the plug on them?

Old April 4th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john.mooney

I use PC for faxes (lot of faxes between accountant and myself) , after line
was activated by BT and prior to receiving modem and filters ,fax was a
nightmare. When accountant sent faxes he was getting message RE. ADSL
incompatability , I attempted to contact Tiscali at least a dozen times
before eventually getting to speak to a chap who could only be desribed as
incompetent and uninterested , after listening to him for twenty minutes I
asked to speak to his supervisor , he went away , came back five minutes
later and said his supervisor was on a call. Fair enough I said , would he
mind taking a note of my tel.No and getting him to call me? This was agreed
and I'm still waiting on call. I contacted them again spoke to another
person who was as interested as the first Tiscali representative and I
finally got a fax number for the Customer services Manager , five days after
sending fax to her (from another machine with confirmation that it had been
received) I still waited for contact, at this point I was still going to use
the product. After seven days , patience was all used up , I faxed MD's
office , suggested perhaps they should pull the plug on their TV advertising
until they sorted out what they had and cancelled.

Now looking at Plusnet , but open to recommendations!

Old April 4th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

[...]

So did the filters cure the problem then John? If your line is ADSL enabled
then I doubt it will make any difference who you are with. The same problem
will exist if your line has ADSL.

Jim

Old April 4th 04, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john.mooney

Fax now working fine , Filter in place , I didn't have a problem with the
fact that the fax may need a filter (in fact , in retrospect, I should have
known) my big concern was the complete lack of customer support and
inability of anyone capable of contacting me and telling me either how to
resolve problem or estimate arrival time of modem/filters, but most of all
after taking the time to fax the customer services manager the "sense of
urgency" was completely lacking !It was then that I knew there was no way I
wanted to be tied to them for twelve months!

Old April 4th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

" I use PC for faxes (lot of faxes between accountant and myself) , after
line
was activated by BT and prior to receiving modem and filters ,fax was a
nightmare. When accountant sent faxes he was getting message RE. ADSL
incompatability

I am still mystified as to what mechinism was invalved in sending such an
error message to your accountents computer/fax machine.

Can someone clarify what signals are present on the line, if an ADSL card is
installed at the exchange, but the no modem installed at the other end?