Port Scans

Old April 4th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Franklin P Patchey

Default Port Scans

I used to be with Freeserve ADSL and moved recently to PlusNet (who seem
much better overall, especially on customer service issues), but I have
noticed an awful lot of port scan and other intrusion attempts on my PC (my
Sygate firewall alerts me to this).

A) This only occurred infrequently when I was with Freeserve and

B) The majority (not all but well over 75%) of hacker attempts are other
PlusNet users.

Does anyone have an explanation to the above?

(I must stress that I have no problem with PlusNet (who are to date the best
ISP I have encountered), just that I am receiving so many hacker attempts)

Old April 4th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Miller

"Franklin P Patchey" wrote in message
I used to be with Freeserve ADSL and moved recently to PlusNet (who seem
much better overall, especially on customer service issues), but I have
noticed an awful lot of port scan and other intrusion attempts on my PC

(my
Sygate firewall alerts me to this).

A) This only occurred infrequently when I was with Freeserve and

B) The majority (not all but well over 75%) of hacker attempts are other
PlusNet users.

Does anyone have an explanation to the above?

(I must stress that I have no problem with PlusNet (who are to date the

best
ISP I have encountered), just that I am receiving so many hacker attempts)

Stick a router in the way - that'll be the last you'll see of them.

I.

Old April 4th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:38:58 +0100, "Franklin P Patchey"
wrote:

I used to be with Freeserve ADSL and moved recently to PlusNet (who seem
much better overall, especially on customer service issues), but I have
noticed an awful lot of port scan and other intrusion attempts on my PC (my
Sygate firewall alerts me to this).

A) This only occurred infrequently when I was with Freeserve and

B) The majority (not all but well over 75%) of hacker attempts are other
PlusNet users.

Does anyone have an explanation to the above?

(I must stress that I have no problem with PlusNet (who are to date the best
ISP I have encountered), just that I am receiving so many hacker attempts)

Hi there,

We will occasionally send out requests to see if customers are online.
However you should never have too many requests to really worry about
it. If you are seeing a lot of reuqests from our IP ranges, then
please email your firewall logs to

regards

Luke
http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
Old April 4th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

"Iain Miller" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Franklin P Patchey" wrote in message
I used to be with Freeserve ADSL and moved recently to PlusNet (who seem
much better overall, especially on customer service issues), but I have
noticed an awful lot of port scan and other intrusion attempts on my PC

(my
Sygate firewall alerts me to this).

A) This only occurred infrequently when I was with Freeserve and

B) The majority (not all but well over 75%) of hacker attempts are other
PlusNet users.

Does anyone have an explanation to the above?

(I must stress that I have no problem with PlusNet (who are to date the

best
ISP I have encountered), just that I am receiving so many hacker

attempts)

Stick a router in the way - that'll be the last you'll see of them.

I.

I'd second Iain's suggestion about a router. Also contact Plusnet support,
particularly if you have evidence such as the IP address of who is scanning
you. It could also be the case of the scans being harmless - it could be a
gamer looking for a local host to compete on.

Cheers, Mike

Old April 4th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Hi there,

We will occasionally send out requests to see if customers are online.
However you should never have too many requests to really worry about
it. If you are seeing a lot of reuqests from our IP ranges, then
please email your firewall logs to

Luke, why would you want to know whether your customers were on-line or not?
Just curious

Steven.

Old April 4th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JD

"fred bloggs" wrote in message

[...]

But its not illegal to portscan, just to exploit what you find.
All you can do is email the scanner and request they dont do it again, which
then confirms your identity.

All you have to do is block all incoming requests by all protocols on all
ports unless you have a need for them.
There are obviously other techniques to help but this is the easiest.

Old April 4th 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 13:15:47 +0100, "Steven Campbell"
wrote:

Hi there,

We will occasionally send out requests to see if customers are online.
However you should never have too many requests to really worry about
it. If you are seeing a lot of reuqests from our IP ranges, then
please email your firewall logs to

Luke, why would you want to know whether your customers were on-line or not?
Just curious

Steven.

To be honest, we don't have any other way of telling if the customer
is offline. BT do not pass this information onto us, so our RADIUS
servers send out pings to establish if the customer is on/offline.

Old April 4th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:18:36 +0100, PlusNet Support
wrote:

To be honest, we don't have any other way of telling if the customer
is offline. BT do not pass this information onto us, so our RADIUS
servers send out pings to establish if the customer is on/offline.

So if somebody has a firewall running in full stealth mode you have no
idea if they are online or not? Or can you tell by monitoring whether
their computer is using the Internet?

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old April 4th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

wrote:

Hi there,

We will occasionally send out requests to see if customers are online.
However you should never have too many requests to really worry about
it. If you are seeing a lot of reuqests from our IP ranges, then
please email your firewall logs to

Luke, why would you want to know whether your customers were on-line or

not?
Just curious

Steven.

To be honest, we don't have any other way of telling if the customer
is offline. BT do not pass this information onto us, so our RADIUS
servers send out pings to establish if the customer is on/offline.

But why do you need to know whether they are on/off line? What do you / the
customer gain from this information. After all it is an always on
connection so I can't understand why you need to know this info.

cheers

Steven.

Old April 4th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

To be honest, we don't have any other way of telling if the customer
is offline. BT do not pass this information onto us, so our RADIUS
servers send out pings to establish if the customer is on/offline.

Well, that may be so - but it aint an answer to the question you were
asked.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,