No Dial Tone message

Old April 5th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alistair

Default No Dial Tone message

I know that this has been asked many times, but on Saturday morning
when trying to connect to Virgin Broadband, the old "Error 380 - No
Dial Tone" message appeared. Strange, 'cos we had been connected
earlier in the morning.

We tried the following:

Reboot - No Joy (normally works).
Tried another Filter - No joy (Dialtone heard from handset in both
filters).
Direct USB connection rather than 4-port powered hub.
Removed Device & redetected
Removed software & reinstalled
Checked status with Virgin
Checked line with BT
New connection in Network connections.

All the above have failed. Any ideas anyone? Could this be a WinXP
reinstall in the offing? Any help no matter how bizarre would be
gratefully received.
Old April 5th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

Alistair wrote:
I know that this has been asked many times, but on Saturday morning
when trying to connect to Virgin Broadband, the old "Error 380 - No
Dial Tone" message appeared. Strange, 'cos we had been connected
earlier in the morning.

We tried the following:

Reboot - No Joy (normally works).
Tried another Filter - No joy (Dialtone heard from handset in both
filters).
Direct USB connection rather than 4-port powered hub.
Removed Device & redetected
Removed software & reinstalled
Checked status with Virgin
Checked line with BT
New connection in Network connections.

All the above have failed. Any ideas anyone? Could this be a WinXP
reinstall in the offing? Any help no matter how bizarre would be
gratefully received.

The "no dial tone" message is dialup modem related. Are you sure that
the machine is set to "never dial a connection" in "internet options"
"connections" - or whatever your operating system demands?

Old April 5th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Alistair" wrote in message
om...
I know that this has been asked many times, but on Saturday morning
when trying to connect to Virgin Broadband, the old "Error 380 - No
Dial Tone" message appeared. Strange, 'cos we had been connected
earlier in the morning.

We tried the following:

Reboot - No Joy (normally works).
Tried another Filter - No joy (Dialtone heard from handset in both
filters).
Direct USB connection rather than 4-port powered hub.
Removed Device & redetected
Removed software & reinstalled
Checked status with Virgin
Checked line with BT
New connection in Network connections.

All the above have failed. Any ideas anyone? Could this be a WinXP
reinstall in the offing? Any help no matter how bizarre would be
gratefully received.

You CAN get a 'no dialtone message' from dial-up networking when connecting
via ADSL, but it doesn't mean dialtone in the conventional (analogue) sense.
Rather it means 'no ADSL signal detected'. Think about it, if the telephone
was in use when you tried to connect there would be no dialtone, but you
wouldn't expect an error message to tell you so. Its just that DUN was
designed primarily for analogue modems and the verbose messages aren't 100%
applicable to DSL.

Is the ADSL light on solid on the modem?

Graham

%Profound_or amusing_footer%

Old April 5th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alistairr

[...]

I forgot to mention that the Modem in question is a Speedtouch 330 ADSL
Modem. We moved to a powered hub as the onboard USB was a bit flakey... to
much demand on the power.
The modem is plugged into a 4-port USB hub, and the USB light on the modem
is permanantly green. The ADSL light is flashing green, and the
corresponding port light on the USB hub is flashing also.

In the connections tab, I have tried setting to 'Do not dial a connection'
and still no joy. The person on the BT faults line suggested trying another
dial up number, so confidence in BT was immediately lost.
Really struggling now....

Alistair

Old April 5th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Alistairr wrote:

I forgot to mention that the Modem in question is a Speedtouch 330
ADSL Modem. We moved to a powered hub as the onboard USB was a bit
flakey... to much demand on the power.
The modem is plugged into a 4-port USB hub, and the USB light on
the modem is permanantly green. The ADSL light is flashing green,
and the corresponding port light on the USB hub is flashing also.

Well if the ADSL light is flashing the you are not in synch with the
exchange & so you will not be able to connect, (as Graham suggested)..

As for a falshing light on a hub, the last time I saw that was when the hub
had developed a fault...

Suggest you stop wasting your time attempting to connect until you can get
synch'd with the exchange (ADSL led will be lit solid, not flashing), first
choice, from what you've posted, is to try another port on the hub (making
sure that the leads & power supply are plugged in correctly/fully) & if that
doesn't work try another powered hub...