USR 9003 Router/Modem + Pipex

Old April 5th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Limbo

Default USR 9003 Router/Modem + Pipex

Trying to setup a US Robotics 9003 router/modem with Pipex Solo 500
broadband through an ethernet connection with a single computer.

The modem software installs ok and the easyconfigurator software loads
fine. After configuring, when checking the status, the current states
gets as far as "connected" and then I get an error:

"your router is connected but the internet is still unavailable.
please check your computer networking settings"

When the modem goes through the connection routine, the username and
password are accepted ok, and the correct downstream/upstream rates
are detected. Does this mean the line is ok?

The networking settings also seem ok. Default services/protocols
installed and the computer is assigned an IP by the router.

Anyone know what the problem could be?
Old April 6th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

Try the following :

1) Go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options

2) Go to Connections - depending on whether you have a modem as well, you
should see either nothing or your dial-up modem listed here. If you have a
dial-up modem installed as well, it should be displayed in the Dial-up and
Virtual Private Network settings (probably as default)

3) Select "Never Dial a Connection"

4) Click on Apply and then OK

At this point although not necessary, I'd reboot the PC

You can also try the following troubleshooting procedures:

1. Click Windows Start and then click Run. In the Run dialog box,
Windows 95, 98, and Me users: Type command and click OK. Windows NT, 2000,
and XP users: Type cmd and click OK. The command line screen opens.

2. Type Ping 127.0.0.1. This is your local host address. The address
assures that TCP/IP is installed and functions properly. If you can't
complete this ping, disconnect the router and then repeat the installation
procedure.

3. Type Ping followed by your IP address. This assures that your PC
responds to requests. If you can't complete this ping, make sure all the
cables connect properly and that all the correct drivers are installed.

4. Type Ping followed by your gateway address to check the
communication with your gateway. (The default gateway address is
192.168.1.1.) This assures that you can connect to other machines and the
router. If you can establish communication with the router, you can access
the Administration page and configure settings. If you can't complete this
ping, make sure that the router power cord is plugged in. Also make sure
that the router is properly connected to your PC.

5. Type Ping followed by the outside Internet address of your router.
This is the address that is provided either by your ISP or by the outside
LAN. This procedure will assure that your router functions properly and
allows traffic to pass through.

6. Type Ping followed by your known DNS server address. This will
allow you to resolve valid Internet host names to IP addresses and to verify
that you can access the Internet.

I also have a USR9003 and find it very good although not a very
user-friendly beast when it comes to configuring the firewall. Luckily, I'm
used to firewall configuration. You might find the following useful.

http://www.freedom2support.net/forum... threadid=1181

Not many people seem be getting this router, as there seem to be very few
references to it on Usenet and the Internet.

Let me know how it goes with the above and if you're still having problems
I'll try and help out more

Nicola
om...

Old April 7th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Limbo

Thanks for all your suggestions. I found a useful site at:
http://www.homepagez.com/usr9003/index.html

That site and your suggestions have confirmed that my networking settings
and computer are ok. Instead of using the easyconfigurator software which
was a bit basic, i have now tried the web interface through 192.168.1.1
which makes it easier to see what is going on.

The router connects to pipex and our static ip is allocated correctly, but
the device status is stuck on "negotiating". I hit refresh a few times and
once the status did change to active but then went back to negotiating.

I've tried the work arounds on the above site, but none have made any
difference.

I see there are problems with this device when using nildram, i suspect the
same is true for pipex:
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...=&view=&sb=&o=

[...]

om...