Pipex Binary Newsgroups

Old April 6th 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

Default Pipex Binary Newsgroups

Does anyone know what the retention is like with Pipex binary groups?
2 to 3 days?
Old April 6th 04, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

And what is the maximum number of simultaneous connections?

Old April 6th 04, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Does anyone know what the retention is like with Pipex binary groups?
2 to 3 days?

Last thing I heard about the Pipex binary groups was that they sucked
big-time...

Old April 6th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

Last thing I heard about the Pipex binary groups was that they sucked
big-time...

Last thing I heard was that Pipex as a whole sucks big-time )))))))

Simon

Old April 6th 04, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Last thing I heard was that Pipex as a whole sucks big-time )))))))

I`ve got nothing but praise for them - I think i`ve had one down-time in
14 months, and 2 email outages. Neither lasted for more than a couple of
hours.

Old April 6th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Last thing I heard was that Pipex as a whole sucks big-time )))))))

I`ve got nothing but praise for them - I think i`ve had one down-time in
14 months, and 2 email outages. Neither lasted for more than a couple of
hours.

I support 100s of customers and thus indirectly experience dozens of ISPs
and haven't come across anything yet that would make me want to move from
Pipex. Connectivity is the most important thing to me and nobody beats Pipex
in that. I have no doubt that most of the posters that complain about Pipex
are incapable of setting up their gear properly or diagnose their own
faults. Despite having dozens of customers with Pipex, through my
recommendation, I have never ever had to call Pipex support.

Old April 6th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

Thanks for all the Pipex input - but does anyone know where I can find
the info about the usenet support? retention and connections.

Old April 6th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"zeebop" wrote in message
Thanks for all the Pipex input - but does anyone know where I can find
the info about the usenet support? retention and connections.

news server:
news-text.dial.pipex.com

NG:
pipex.xtreme.support

Old April 7th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

I find the Pipex binary server to be very good in terms of completion (very
high rate of complete multipart binaries). The retention is around 3 days
(about average for an in house ISP news feed). You are allowed up to 4
simultaneous connections to the server.

However, there is an ongoing (and acknowledged) problem with downloading
from the binary server. It can take up to 30 seconds for an article to start
downloading. Once it starts it comes down about as fast as the connection
allows. Pipex have acknowledged the problem, but as yet there is no
resolution.

--
/Slugsie

Old April 14th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dolphin Boy

Pipex Binary newsgroups - retention is fair, but I use Claranet news
service as a backup
(30 per year? - 10GB per month)
Max simultaneous connections = 3 or 4, I can't remember for sure.

I use Binary News Reaper (google is your friend!) and this allows more
than enough
confriguration :-) of binary newsgroups for anyone. And its free.
All I know is, with my setup (Pipex & Claranet, BNR & Pipex 512 ADSL)
I can
almost always get 55-60 KB / sec
HTH