Bandwidth Sharing Software?

Old April 6th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

Default Bandwidth Sharing Software?

"Ian Bland" wrote in message
Is there such a thing as some software that will apportion my bandwidth
between different apps? I can't seem to find anything on the web, not even
sure if this is feasible. But it would be nice to be able to, for example,
limit XNews to 30kB/s so that while downloading from usenet I still have
half my bandwidth (512 ADSL) available for surfing or ftp or whatnot.

Sure http://www.netlimiter.com/

There is a trial version I believe.

Jc.

Old April 6th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bland

Is there such a thing as some software that will apportion my bandwidth
between different apps? I can't seem to find anything on the web, not even
sure if this is feasible. But it would be nice to be able to, for example,
limit XNews to 30kB/s so that while downloading from usenet I still have
half my bandwidth (512 ADSL) available for surfing or ftp or whatnot.

TIA for any replies,

Ian

--
____________________
A quality online comic strip for the discerning reader.

http://www.jaxtrawstudios.com

Old April 6th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bland

Josey wrote:
"Ian Bland" wrote in message
Is there such a thing as some software that will apportion my
bandwidth between different apps? I can't seem to find anything on
the web, not even sure if this is feasible. But it would be nice to
be able to, for example, limit XNews to 30kB/s so that while
downloading from usenet I still have half my bandwidth (512 ADSL)
available for surfing or ftp or whatnot.

Sure http://www.netlimiter.com/

There is a trial version I believe.

Jc.

Thanks!

Ian

--
____________________

Old April 6th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Ian Bland" wrote in message
Josey wrote:
"Ian Bland" wrote in message
Is there such a thing as some software that will apportion my
bandwidth between different apps? I can't seem to find anything on
the web, not even sure if this is feasible. But it would be nice to
be able to, for example, limit XNews to 30kB/s so that while
downloading from usenet I still have half my bandwidth (512 ADSL)
available for surfing or ftp or whatnot.

Sure http://www.netlimiter.com/

There is a trial version I believe.

Jc.

Thanks!

Ian

--
____________________
A quality online comic strip for the discerning reader.
With shagging in it.

http://www.jaxtrawstudios.com

Great little program that one, but I wish the author could add a facility to
hide the application and make it accessible only by the administrator. I
have tried this application on my kids PC and it works just fine. Problem
is they know its running and can also edit the bandwidth themselves. So
basically they have control : - ( I need it to run hidden and be accessed
via a username and password, so only I can edit the bandwidth on their PC!
Any chance you might implement a bit more security please NetLimiter ?

Tony

Old April 6th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Great little program that one, but I wish the author could add a facility
hide the application and make it accessible only by the administrator. I
have tried this application on my kids PC and it works just fine. Problem
is they know its running and can also edit the bandwidth themselves. So
basically they have control : - ( I need it to run hidden and be accessed
via a username and password, so only I can edit the bandwidth on their PC!
Any chance you might implement a bit more security please NetLimiter ?

Didn't you see my previous reply to you? Install netlimiter on your sons PC
and then just hide or password protect the folder that netlimiter is in.
There is literally hundreds of those kind of programs on the net.
Like this http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10...ml?tag=lst-0-6

Steven.

Old April 7th 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Steven,

Yep, I saw your reply, and I thank you very much for your help. I could do
that, as you suggest, but would much rather hope that Netlimiter would do it
inside their own program. I would like to add this feature to the wishlist
for the next update of Netlimiter. That way they will enhance their program
and make it much more useful than it is already (I'm pretty impressed with
the software as it is, but until it has an *invisible* facility and more
secure access that stops the kids doing anything they want with it, I
wouldn't consider purchasing it. If such features were added, I would most
definitely be buying a copy, as it would serve the purpose for which I need.

NetLimiter wishlist:
INVISIBLE MODE, so the software runs without anyone knowing its there!
USER CONFIGURABLE ACCESS KEYS, to let the user set up a group of keys, which
when pressed together will open the graphic interface
PASSWORD/USERNAME PROTECTED SETTINGS, so that only the administrator can
set/edit the program settings.

Thanks Again Steven, your response is much appreciated. I have also posted
this wishlist to Netlimiter too

Tony