ADSL Availability - Distance From Exchange

Old April 6th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparkplug

Default ADSL Availability - Distance From Exchange

I posted this on uk.telecom and had a few answers but I thought I would try
here as well:

I live in a village and my exchange is in the next village. BT's
Availability Checker tells me that I am too far from the exchange to have
ADSL. However, the neighbour on my left is about thirty yards away and his
number is successful. My neighbour on the right is about ten feet away; the
houses were built at the same time - about ten years ago. His number too is
successful. Strangely,
he has a second number and that fails. I sent all this in an e-mail to
and got the expected stock answer.

Does anybody have any idea why this situation exists? Would the fact that I
have four (actually five) bits of kit (two (three) phones and two modems)
connected to the line make
any difference?

--
Sparkplug

Old April 6th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
K-Tel Ronco

"Sparkplug" wrote in message
I posted this on uk.telecom and had a few answers but I thought I would

try
here as well:

And the answer remains the same. You may be surprised to hear that both
groups are frequented by the same people.....

Old April 6th 04, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Start here and read the FAQs etc.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

You will probably need to get an ISP to do a manual order to see if your
line can support ADSL

Old April 7th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

I had a similar problem

People all around my area had adsl yet BT constantly told me my line was
incompatible

I went at it like a dog with a bone for over two months, i complained to BT
to BT broadband and oftel
eventually BT actually sent an engineer out to physically look at the
exchange and junction box in my street
He found that there were lines DACsed all over the place and that there were
faults on the line.
Fixed it and I now have had ADSL for over a month

Old April 7th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparkplug

"Sparkplug" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the replies.

Old April 9th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ChrisR

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Start here and read the FAQs etc.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

You will probably need to get an ISP to do a manual order to see if your
line can support ADSL

How do you know whether a manual line check has been done? I requested one
through Plus.net but I got a stock rejection and they were most unhelpful -
wouldn't confirm whether they had made the request, whether BT had actioned
it or what the result was. What feedback would you expect?

I think I had the gain on the line turned up a few years ago when I was
having modem problems (which turned out to be nothing to do with the line
quality). Would that affect a test result?

Chris R

Old April 10th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

How do you know whether a manual line check has been done? I requested one
through Plus.net but I got a stock rejection and they were most

unhelpful -
wouldn't confirm whether they had made the request, whether BT had

actioned
it or what the result was. What feedback would you expect?

You need to be persistant! I can only speak as I find and have found PLUS
support staff very helpful. In my case BT eventually sent an engineer who
located the problem in five minutes. It took him nearly two hours to sort it
all out and test it fully. Mind you I did have to lend him a screwdriver!
Ask for it to be escalated up the chain of command. The other possibility is
to ask your cosen ISP to provision a new line with the proviso that it must
support ADSL.

I think I had the gain on the line turned up a few years ago when I was
having modem problems (which turned out to be nothing to do with the line
quality). Would that affect a test result?

Probably not.