Which Modem/Router (I know...sorry...)

Old April 6th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Which Modem/Router (I know...sorry...)

Yes I know its been asked too many times but.....

ADSL just ordered and now looking for which Modem/Router.

I was looking at the Netgear DG834 but I saw mention of proplems with
FTP although recent posts here suggest a firmware update a few days ago
- I would need to be able to FTP !

I also see the D-Link DSL-504T that could be in the running ?

Help and feedback as ever always appreciated.

FF

Old April 6th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred bloggs

wrote in message
Yes I know its been asked too many times but.....

ADSL just ordered and now looking for which Modem/Router.

I was looking at the Netgear DG834 but I saw mention of proplems with
FTP although recent posts here suggest a firmware update a few days ago
- I would need to be able to FTP !

I also see the D-Link DSL-504T that could be in the running ?

Help and feedback as ever always appreciated.

FF

I have used the Dlink 504 for about 3 years - good and stable - the
occasional reboot. I got a bit more paranoid and now use the Draytek Vigor
2600 modem router for all the heavy front end stuff and then hide the pcs
behind a Linksys BEFSR81 to give QoS.

Cheers, Mike

Old April 6th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vic.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:13:17 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

I was looking at the Netgear DG834 but I saw mention of proplems with
FTP although recent posts here suggest a firmware update a few days ago
- I would need to be able to FTP !

Mine works a treat and I FTP a small file every 5 minutes 24 hours a day as
well as a larger one every 15 minutes. No doubt others will say their modem
is OK as well.

I'm happy with the DG834.

No probs on FTP's, iincluding downloading Linux ISO's.

Never been rebooted or powered down since I got it in Jan.
(although, done a firmware upgrade a day or two back, so that must
count as a reboot, maybe?)
Old April 7th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KW

wrote in message
Yes I know its been asked too many times but.....

ADSL just ordered and now looking for which Modem/Router.

I was looking at the Netgear DG834 but I saw mention of proplems with
FTP although recent posts here suggest a firmware update a few days ago
- I would need to be able to FTP !

I also see the D-Link DSL-504T that could be in the running ?

Help and feedback as ever always appreciated.

FF

Ask me next week, i just bought the Netgear one for £60 from Amazon last
night ) and i do alot of FTP

--
Regards

Krys

http://www.angelhosts.com - http://www.tssn.org
http://www.krystianwhellans.com

Old April 7th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Tavener

Also bought one and will be using ftp, vpn passthrough & port forwarding (to
access a secure server).
Arrives tomorrow. I'll upgrade it to the latest firmware and test it
thoroughly, then report back.

Graham

Old April 8th 04, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

fred bloggs wrote:

Thanks all for the feedback.

I have used the Dlink 504 for about 3 years - good and stable - the
occasional reboot. I got a bit more paranoid and now use the Draytek Vigor
2600 modem router for all the heavy front end stuff and then hide the pcs
behind a Linksys BEFSR81 to give QoS.

The Vigor 2600+ certainly seems to get the thumbs up and seems to be top
of my list now. I doin't really need the print sharing options etc and
its a little above my original budget though.

I think I'm putting the Netgear into third so the D-Link 504 miht be the
one based on cost.

Old April 8th 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

"KW" wrote in message
wrote in message
Yes I know its been asked too many times but.....

ADSL just ordered and now looking for which Modem/Router.

I was looking at the Netgear DG834 but I saw mention of proplems
with FTP although recent posts here suggest a firmware update a few
days ago - I would need to be able to FTP !

I also see the D-Link DSL-504T that could be in the running ?

Help and feedback as ever always appreciated.

FF

Ask me next week, i just bought the Netgear one for £60 from Amazon
last night ) and i do alot of FTP

--
Regards

Krys

I've had a Netgear DG834 for two months and have installed both 1.03
(initially) and yesterday 1.04 firmware with no problems. I use FTP, no
problems there either.

Cheers,

CJ

Old April 9th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Tavener

No problems with the new DG834. Upgraded to the latest firmware, set MTU to
1458 and works fine for ftp, etc..

Graham

Old April 9th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

JRS wrote:
USR9106 works fine for me and with 5410 card thrown in its a bargain
at less than £130 in VAT

Jon

Go to E-buyer. http://tinyurl.com/9bg2

DG834, £103.87. Modem/Firewall/Router. VAT included.

Mine works a treat, has done for a long time.

Cheers,

CJ