BulldogDSL

Old April 6th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motorcyclesaur

Default BulldogDSL

"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message

My question is :-) can anyone give me any feedback on BulldogDSL? Prices
look very good apart from the activation fee and I see they have just won
Best Consumer Broadband ISP 2004.

Hi Gareth,

I also was with BTO and as a newly (about a month) acquired customer of
Bulldog's I feel rather disappointed.

Here is my feedback:

1. Connection:
When I ordered the service I haven't been able to connect on the expected
connection date. I had to call the support line and waited - I am not
joking - for a about 80 minutes total (in two attempts, the first time I had
to give up as I had something else to do) before a human being answered the
phone. The answer I obtained was that my account (or profile, I can't
remember) was not working, and that they had to recreate it from scratch.
Fortunately, the guy who solved the prolem sounded competent and by the end
of the call (another 20min at national rate) the service was up and running.

2. Speed.
I have a primetime 2000 package, and when I first connected I occasionally
obtained download speed well in excess of 200KB/sec, and around 130KB/sec in
busy hours, but most of the time (including now, I am downloading an iso
file from ftp.mirrors.ac.uk plus another one from an ftp in Germany, both
ftps usually fast) I am reaching max speed of 80KB/sec. when I am lucky,
that's far less than the 2Mbit/sec that I subscribed to (and pay for), and
also less than the cheaper 1Mbit/sec service. Is this a problem of
contention? Perhaps. As a matter of fact this problem persists most of the
time, and I am of the impression that Bulldog is enjoying money (my money)
that it doesn't deserve - let alone the award that God knows how they
managed to win.

3. Customer Service.
During the period when I experienced the disservice mentioned at point 1,
the email that I sent to customer service has been ignored. That's why I was
forced to pay 80min phone bill at national rate. I was thinking of claiming
the money back, then I gave up as the system finally worked, but now I am
seriously thinking of going back on my steps and send them a claim request.
And now, as you can read from this message, I am very upset. As the average
of the population, I have a life and a job that together absorb about 3/4 of
my time, and at this stage I am no longer willing to get back on the phone
and wait another 80mins to speak to a Bulldog representative. So, after
waiting for a few days to see if I could see an improvement, yesterday I
sent another email... and guess what? It has - so far - been ignored.

So, this is my feedback on Bulldog.

I am still dissatisfied, I will try again with the email and see what
happens. Then I will try yet again by phone and see if I can manage to get
in touch with someone in less than 30mins. Should all this fail, I will
write an email to Ofcom or to the telecoms ombudsman (or whomever is in
charge). I will ask what happened to Bulldog and its award, as they not only
fail to supply a service which is below standard even when compared to the
expectation of a lower performance product (namely, the primetime 1000), but
are also unable to read emails from their customers and reply.

I would like to say more, but I think I threw away enough time on this and
that I made my point on what I think of Bulldog.

By the way, I would be extremely grateful if anyone could let me know if
they had a similar experience and how they manage to solve the problem.

M.

Old April 6th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\) voom

"Motorcyclesaur" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your feedback. I have not made the switch to Bulldog yet so I may
put it off for a while and see if anyone else has problems.

Old April 7th 04, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Motorcyclesaur" wrote in message
"Gareth :-) voom" wrote in message

My question is :-) can anyone give me any feedback on BulldogDSL? Prices
look very good apart from the activation fee and I see they have just

won
Best Consumer Broadband ISP 2004.

I changed my employers ISP over from BT to Bulldog around 3 months ago.
After a few problems with the set up at the start the service has been
excellent. Customer service was a nightmare to get through to it has to be
said.

One extra thing to note is that my workplace falls into Bulldogs local loop
unbundled central London network which i am told makes a load of difference
to the quality of service.

Below is the results of a speed test I have just made on my employers 2MB
service via www.adslguide.org

Downstream1903 Kbps (237.9 KB/sec)
2055 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream375 Kbps (46.9 KB/sec)
405 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Paul

Old April 7th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ken Wheatley

"Paul G" wrote in message

One extra thing to note is that my workplace falls into Bulldogs local

loop
unbundled central London network which i am told makes a load of

difference
to the quality of service.

Below is the results of a speed test I have just made on my employers 2MB
service via www.adslguide.org

Downstream1903 Kbps (237.9 KB/sec)
2055 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Upstream375 Kbps (46.9 KB/sec)
405 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I'm outside London on the Stansted exchange with a 1MB 1/20. Results just
now (09:02 BST on a weekday)

Downstream 943 Kbps (117.9 KB/s) 1018 kbps (inc. overheads)
Upsteam 244 (30.5) 263.

Better than the OP was getting, but he hasn't demonstrated that the
bottleneck is in Bulldog yet, so far as I can see.

Old April 7th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Motorcyclesaur" wrote in message

By the way, I would be extremely grateful if anyone could let me know if
they had a similar experience and how they manage to solve the problem.

A few of points..

1. Its not necessary to call Bulldog on their "National Rate" number.

Bulldog can be reached on:

0870 2855364
08454 520052
020 7034 4666

All 3 numbers go to the same menu - you are then given the options of sales,
tech support etc.. and the 020/0845 numbers could well be cheaper for you.

2. As you can see from the other replies, it sounds as if you have been
unlucky the speeds you have been getting.

What exchange are you on ? It could be local contention at an exchange (it
is a contended service :/), in which case Bulldog will no doubt be planning
an upgrade.. - you can check with them.

There have also been a few cases where Bulldog have had problems with
switching users over at 6pm (i.e. uncapping the 2MB line)

In these cases, normally disconnecting for a few minutes and reconnecting
fixes that..

3. You can also see if other Bulldog customers are having problems on your
exchnage at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=bulldog -
though as Bulldog say, 98%+ odd of their customers are perfectly happy and
never have problems - regardless of what the forums appear to say!

Regards
Sunil

Old April 7th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motorcyclesaur

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

Hi Sunil,

I attach my message here for convenience, but I would also like to thank the
other users for their contribution.

A few of points..

1. Its not necessary to call Bulldog on their "National Rate" number.

Bulldog can be reached on:

0870 2855364
08454 520052
020 7034 4666

Thank you very much, I stored the number right away. That will save me a lot
of money the next time I need them (actually, I might well turn the savings
into a pint for you, if you are located somewhere in London).

All 3 numbers go to the same menu - you are then given the options of

sales,
tech support etc.. and the 020/0845 numbers could well be cheaper for you.

2. As you can see from the other replies, it sounds as if you have been
unlucky the speeds you have been getting.

Do you really think so? In my opinion, when you are sold a product that is
called "2Mbit" and you consistently get a service that could not even be
called "1Mbit", than you are not "unlucky", you are just victim of bad
service (I won't add anything to what I have already said about the speed of
answer of their customer support centre).

What exchange are you on ?

Whatever the exchange, if they can't provide that service, they should just
avoid to sell it.

It could be local contention at an exchange (it
is a contended service :/), in which case Bulldog will no doubt be

planning
an upgrade.. - you can check with them.

Having said the above - and being still dreaming the hardly awaited reply to
my email, which would be just a matter of decency by now - I have to observe
that the stream is far better today. I have no idea of whether someone read
my email (the unreplied one) or if this post has been noticed, but the
scenario has now considerably improved.
I started downloading at a speed of 240KB/sec (excellent), then it decreased
to about 160-180KB/sec, maybe for contention reasons, and now it is up again
to about 185-200KB/sec.
Whereas I can understand and accept that a 50:1 (or whatever it is)
contention rate can result in the above values, I find it unacceptable that
the data stream falls to values that I was used to when I was connected BTO
with a Home 500 package.

There have also been a few cases where Bulldog have had problems with
switching users over at 6pm (i.e. uncapping the 2MB line)

In these cases, normally disconnecting for a few minutes and reconnecting
fixes that.

I don't think that's the case, I have done all that and it didn't work.

3. You can also see if other Bulldog customers are having problems on your
exchnage at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=bulldog -
though as Bulldog say, 98%+ odd of their customers are perfectly happy and
never have problems - regardless of what the forums appear to say!

I'll have a look later, and I renew my gratitude for having provided me with
a phone number that I can dial without having to ask for a mortgage.

Thank you again, I will keep the newsgroup informed about any further
developments of the above.

Regards.

M.

Old April 8th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Motorcyclesaur" wrote in message
Bulldog can be reached on:

0870 2855364
08454 520052
020 7034 4666

Thank you very much, I stored the number right away. That will save me a

lot
of money the next time I need them (actually, I might well turn the

savings
into a pint for you, if you are located somewhere in London).

lol - you're welcome and I am

2. As you can see from the other replies, it sounds as if you have been
unlucky the speeds you have been getting.

Do you really think so? In my opinion, when you are sold a product that is
called "2Mbit" and you consistently get a service that could not even be
called "1Mbit", than you are not "unlucky", you are just victim of bad
service

Hmm - unlucky yes - based on the experiences of mne and others.

However, you are also correct and agree that you should see speeds faster
than those you mention

What exchange are you on ?

Whatever the exchange, if they can't provide that service, they should

just
avoid to sell it.

True, I only asked to see if I had heard of other problems ( contention)
or something else at that exchange

I have to observe
that the stream is far better today. I have no idea of whether someone

read
my email (the unreplied one) or if this post has been noticed, but the
scenario has now considerably improved.
I started downloading at a speed of 240KB/sec (excellent), then it

decreased
to about 160-180KB/sec, maybe for contention reasons, and now it is up

again
to about 185-200KB/sec.

Am glad to see things have improved for you - lets hope it continues.

It could be that an Virtual Path upgrade has gone in - it takes about 2
weeks for BT to install these at Bulldog's request or it could be some other
problem has been fixed.

For instance, I have a friend with Bulldog on the Willesden exchange (North
London). He is also on the Primetime 2000 service and for a period of time
was getting poor speeds - which he put down to contention.

I believe Bulldog upgraded the bandwidth to that exchange twice in that
period and had another upgrade planned - when I asked someone at Bulldog to
look into why he had noticed little improvement

I was unhappy at the speeds he was getting - still better value than BTO but
as I had suggested moving to him, I wanted, like you, to make sure he got
closer to what he was paying for..

Bulldog came back and said there was 30% spare capacity at the exchange
(with another upgrade already ordered) and traced some other fault that they
fixed.. his speeds then become what I would expect..

Hope your speed improvements also continue.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 8th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Savage

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:16:03 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

In these cases, normally disconnecting for a few minutes and reconnecting
fixes that..

3. You can also see if other Bulldog customers are having problems on your
exchnage at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=bulldog -
though as Bulldog say, 98%+ odd of their customers are perfectly happy and
never have problems - regardless of what the forums appear to say!

My exchange becomes active on the 26th May.

How soon should I place my order with Bulldog, before or after this
date?

Thanks.

Bye for now.

Clive.
Old April 9th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Clive Savage" wrote in message
My exchange becomes active on the 26th May.

How soon should I place my order with Bulldog, before or after this
date?

Well, technically you should be able to place an order now and any ISP
should accept it as you know when your exchange is going live.. though
Bulldog may prefer you to wait until the 26th May..

However - what service are you thinking of getting?

The reason I ask is that not all Bulldog services are available at all
exchanges - in particular, if your exchange is only just being enabled, I
doubt it will have the full range of Bulldog services immediately (even all
the non-LLU services won't be available)

Though you can register your interest in Bulldog's services at
https://secure.bulldogdsl.com/shop/pre-register.asp which may help them
decide to supply your exchange sooner..

Regards
Sunil