BT Broadband Installation with Non Pentium Processor

Old April 7th 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Reardon

Default BT Broadband Installation with Non Pentium Processor

Help,

Just brought BT Broadband Basis (19.99pm & 50 modem fee) and I've tried
to install the software and it says my Processor's specification is
inadequate! I have a brand new BCR laptop with a TM5800 950mhz chip in -
fully adequate I would have thought.

I called BT and they said I need to call the Technical Helpline (50p pm) for
a solution)....Why should I have to spend money on a call to BT to discuss
the faults on their software??? They said they were aware of the problem as
a Pentium IV chip also shows as under spec!!

Is there any way I can bypass this system check and install the
software......or should I just go back to NTL - who's customer service was
bad but they never actually designed substandard software that cost the
customer money to fix!!

Regards

Tony

Old April 7th 04, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Tony Reardon wrote:

Help,

Just brought BT Broadband Basis (19.99pm & 50 modem fee) and I've tried
to install the software and it says my Processor's specification is
inadequate! I have a brand new BCR laptop with a TM5800 950mhz chip in -
fully adequate I would have thought.

Hi Tony,
Certainly is suitable (more than in fact).

You dont _have_ to install the software - do you know this ? Quite
suitable and workable to simply setup a DUN connection manually, and not
have the "bloatware" that BT provides.

If your stuck on how to create the DUN yourself, reply back.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old April 7th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

"Tony Reardon" wrote in message
Help,

Just brought BT Broadband Basis (19.99pm & 50 modem fee) and I've tried
to install the software and it says my Processor's specification is
inadequate! I have a brand new BCR laptop with a TM5800 950mhz chip in -
fully adequate I would have thought.

A 950mHz chip would be totally underpowered for anything.

Of course, if you meant 950MHz that's a totally different beast.

Old April 7th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Reardon

Whats the difference between 950mhz (what I wrote), 950mHz (what you thought
I wrote) and 950MHz (what you wrote)..???

Whatever.....I'm sure I meant its a decent processor and should be capable
of running BT Broadband software of any description...

Cheers

"Anton Gysen" wrote in
message ...

Old April 7th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:31:01 UTC, "Tony Reardon"
wrote:

Whats the difference between 950mhz (what I wrote), 950mHz (what you thought
I wrote) and 950MHz (what you wrote)..???

'm' means 'milli' (one thousandth). 'M' means 'mega' (one million).

'hz' is plain wrong. It is supposed to be 'Hz'. It's a contraction of
'Hertz', which was a person's name.

I thought the idea of a 950 milliHertz CPU was funny, anyway...a billion
times slower than what you meant...

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Old April 7th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

"Tony Reardon" wrote in message
Whats the difference between 950mhz (what I wrote), 950mHz (what you

thought
I wrote) and 950MHz (what you wrote)..???

about 9 orders of magnitude Hz is the correct way of writing hertz, m =
milli 10^-3, M= mega 10^6

you cain out more here http://www.bipm.org/en/si/

Whatever.....I'm sure I meant its a decent processor and should be capable
of running BT Broadband software of any description...

it's a common problem in their software. It's been discussed on
btopenworld.broadband.support several times. Not sure if you have access to
that group or not. It suddenly seems to have stopped working for me. I'll
re-load it and see if I can get it back again.

cheers

"Anton Gysen" wrote in
message ...
martin wrote:

"Tony Reardon" wrote in message

Help,

Just brought BT Broadband Basis (19.99pm & 50 modem fee) and I've

tried
to install the software and it says my Processor's specification is
inadequate! I have a brand new BCR laptop with a TM5800 950mhz chip

in -
fully adequate I would have thought.

A 950mHz chip would be totally underpowered for anything.

Of course, if you meant 950MHz that's a totally different beast.

FFS!

chill out man. I was correct. And informing the OP will educate

Old April 7th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Reardon

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I can set up a DUN but I cannot get the phone no. required

Any ideas where I can find the dial-up number for BTBroadband basic?

Thanks for the help.

Old April 7th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tony Reardon" wrote in message
I can set up a DUN but I cannot get the phone no. required

Any ideas where I can find the dial-up number for BTBroadband basic?

There is no phone number or password needed.

In WinXP, you can leave the field blank.

In other MS OS's you may need to put some dummy data in - it doesn't matter
what you use - it won't actually dial it.

Regards
Sunil

Old April 7th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Tony Reardon wrote:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I can set up a DUN but I cannot get the phone no. required

Any ideas where I can find the dial-up number for BTBroadband basic?

Hi Tony,

There's no telephone to dial with broadband, as the link between you and
the stuff at the exchange is done via something called Line
Identification, where your telephone number and username is used to
authenicate you on the network.

Hence, you should be able to stick anything in the telephone number
section of the DUN connection, and similar for the password bit too.