US Robotics 8000-02 Broadband Router Firmware Upgrade

Old April 7th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.security.firewalls
Richard Dungan

Default US Robotics 8000-02 Broadband Router Firmware Upgrade

Hi, all.

My apologies for the cross-posting.

I have a US Robotics 8000-02 broadband router, I think also identified
as a USR018000A. This has been absolutely rock-solid since I bought it.

I recently succumbed to the temptation, for a good reason, to upgrade
the firmware from V2.5 to V2.7. There does not seem to have been a V2.6.

This has made the router unstable, and every few hours or days it
suddenly switched back to its default parameters (filters, MAC address,
DHCP setup, etc, etc).

I have now reverted it to firmware V2.5 and it is fine, but it annoys me
that the more recent firmware is bad, and it annoys me even more that US
Robotics' support are incapable of answering emails.

Has anyone else had any experience of this firmware upgrade, or getting
sense out of US Robotics?

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Richard

--------------Richard Dungan--------------
Radix Electronic Design Ltd, Orpington, UK
ngsATradixDASHdesignDOTcoDOTuk
Old April 8th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,comp.security.firewalls
arthur

Richard Dungan wrote:
I have a US Robotics 8000-02 broadband router, I think also identified
as a USR018000A. This has been absolutely rock-solid since I bought it.

I recently succumbed to the temptation, for a good reason, to upgrade
the firmware from V2.5 to V2.7. There does not seem to have been a V2.6.

This has made the router unstable, and every few hours or days it
suddenly switched back to its default parameters (filters, MAC address,
DHCP setup, etc, etc).

I performed this upgrade recently and found I couldn't clear various
modem settings via the we interface (I use the router with a 56k modem).
The problem appeared to go away when I switched web browser from Opera
7.20 to Netscape 4.7 (both on Windows).
Arthur