Netgear support experience

Old April 7th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

Default Netgear support experience

I've had a Netgear DG834G since last November on a Pipex 1Mb ADSL
service. I have rung Netgear support only twice in all that time and
have only had to reset the router about 3 or 4 times.

I rang their support yesterday on a national rate 0870 number ( who
says it is expensive?).

The agent I spoke to may well have been in India but could have been
on Mars for all I care.

He was polite and helpful. I was on the phone for about 15 minutes.
Half of that time was taken up by him asking my details - email
address, router serial number etc. If I ever have to ring them again
I now have a customer number so that information won't need to be
supplied.

My query was about upgrading from 1.02 to 1.04 firmware. I was
advised to upgrade to 1.03 first which I did successfully. I'm now
running 1.04 and it is fine. My particular query about whether a
known issue in 1.03 had been resolved in 1.04 was answered in the
affirmative.

I'm glad I bought Netgear. It's quality kit, does the job I want with
no hassle and on those rare occasions when I have needed advice it has
been there promptly and cheaply. On both occasions I rang support, my
call was answered in less than 2 minutes of queuing time.

Well pleased and satisfied......(with Pipex as well....)

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old April 7th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Filthy Rich wrote:

: I'm glad I bought Netgear. It's quality kit, does the job I want with
: no hassle and on those rare occasions when I have needed advice it has
: been there promptly and cheaply. On both occasions I rang support, my
: call was answered in less than 2 minutes of queuing time.

: Well pleased and satisfied......(with Pipex as well....)

I have never had to phone Netgear but my experiences with first a DG814
and, more recently, a DG824M router match yours. I would go for them again!
Old April 8th 04, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Stromski

NetGear after-sales care on a scale of 1 to 5 for me: 3.

Their tech support by email is good enough I guess, although they do that
annoying thing of throwing stuff at you that you can read (and probably
already have read off their site). Their patches/updates (dg814 in my case)
are rubbish. After they release a product they need A LOT more planning,
they need to gather A LOT more customer feedback and fix the root problems,
not just the ones around the edge which no one cares about.

Alas, no more NetGear "intelligent" kit for me. Their switches and hubs
unmanaged are fine, I've used them for a long time without any problems. My

Old April 8th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Lambert

I have owened a DG814 for about a year now.
I has proved to be quite unreliable.
I am a heavy user of my broadband account, I am a software developer who
works from home.
I have never spoken to any of Netgears staff, I've been capable of solving
all of my issues myself so far.
I update my router with new firmwares as soon as they are released.

I am about to receive an eBuyer (Origio) router, which is less than half the
price but, from what I have read, is a much more stable router. This I have
yet to prove.

Since owning my DG814 I have applied more than 5 firmware releases, and yet
it still crashes and hangs.
The support for this product is bad, and has been since its launch.
I expected Netgears other prodcucts are good, but this is not. I shall
never buy Netgear again.

Old April 8th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Darren Lambert wrote:
: Since owning my DG814 I have applied more than 5 firmware releases, and yet
: it still crashes and hangs.

Not for me!

: The support for this product is bad, and has been since its launch.

Disagree entirely!
Old April 8th 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"Darren Lambert" wrote in message

Since owning my DG814 I have applied more than 5 firmware releases, and

yet
it still crashes and hangs.
The support for this product is bad, and has been since its launch.
I expected Netgears other prodcucts are good, but this is not. I shall
never buy Netgear again.

Same here. This time its their WG311 cards. The driver appears to corrupt
XP's network connections service. I'll be doing tests this w/e and contact
Netgear if necessary.

Old April 8th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
"Darren Lambert" wrote in message

Same here. This time its their WG311 cards. The driver

appears to corrupt
XP's network connections service. I'll be doing tests this

w/e and contact
Netgear if necessary.

I've just installed a WG511T and a WG311T on to two WinXPPro
(SP1) pc's. On the laptop, with the 511t, it did say it
wanted to disable XP's network control interface, which I
agreed to, but haven't had any problems so far. On the
desktop, with the 311T, it asked the same question, but
didn't disable XP's interface for some reason. In any case,
both systems are working fine, connected in Infrastructure
mode to a WGT624, bought at the same time (from Ebuyer,
excellent service & price, by the way). The only criticism I
have currently, is that having set them all up for 108MBps
working, file tranfer speeds between them isn't as good as
I'd hoped for. A 600 meg iso, currently clocks an average
speed of around 6 megabits/sec, whereas on a wired lan it
easily topped 70 megabits/sec.

P.

Old April 8th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alien Zord

"PJB" wrote in message

"Alien Zord" wrote in message
[...]

As I said, I'll be running the tests over the w/e so will reserve my final
judgement until then. Substitution of 3Com cards for the errand Netgear
completely cured the problems so there must be something.

Your achieved speed of 6Mb/s is way too low for even a standard 11g never
mind turbo. I get sustained 4.5Mb/s on 11b.

Old April 8th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Alien Zord" wrote in message

Your achieved speed of 6Mb/s is way too low for even a

standard 11g never
mind turbo. I get sustained 4.5Mb/s on 11b.

I made the mistake of enforcing turbo mode only, assuming
that would give high transfer speeds. After setting it to
auto, I got 30megabits/sec on the same files, much better
;-)

P.