DSL-504T Username Character Limit

Old April 8th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

Default DSL-504T Username Character Limit

Demon Internet has some pretty long username strings (39 characters for some
of my clients)

When trying to enter this into the router, it will only accept 32
characters!!!!!!!!

Wasted 30 minutes waiting to get through to d-link technical support
When I did get through, the Indian girl could not understand why I did not
want to talk about the problem the PC and Mac was having with my internet
access!!!!

I made sure I spoke slow, explained the issue was the amount of characters I
was trying to type in.... then I get "yes I understand the problem, so what
type of mac do you have?"

I give up!

D-Link - I like your products, but the technical support is an utter
disgrace.

Has anyone else managed to get a solution to this issue???

Old April 8th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"Mr_K" wrote in message
Demon Internet has some pretty long username strings (39 characters for

some
of my clients)

When trying to enter this into the router, it will only accept 32
characters!!!!!!!!

DSL-504T?
I'm not familar with the 'T'?

Well, I've got a DSL-504 Rev. B.
Firmwa R2.21.002.06.b14uk

My username when I was with BT Yahoo was 34 chars.
I know that BT didn't use all of the chars of the username (they only
accepted the bit up to, and including, @hgxx)
But, my details would save ok on my 504.

Which revision you running? And which firmware?
You using the web interface to set it up? Have you tried it via telnet?

I've just tried entering a test PVC entry with 40 then 60chars, worked fine
for me. I appreciate this doesn't help you much. But, I reckon you should be
ok. We just need to work out where our setups differ.

Barry

Old April 8th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"Baz" wrote in message
"Mr_K" wrote in message
Demon Internet has some pretty long username strings (39 characters for

some
of my clients)

When trying to enter this into the router, it will only accept 32
characters!!!!!!!!

DSL-504T?
I'm not familar with the 'T'?

Found it.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...roduct ID=912

Strangely enough, the first place I went looking for the 504T was
www.dlink.co.uk, and found nothing there.
Go figure!

Looks like an updated version of the 504 Rev.B that I have.
Some nice new features. Quite different to mine (I suppose), so no idea if
details of my setup is going to help.

Old April 8th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....10629&thread=2

KNOWN FAULT!!

Terrible user interface ( I love the dsl-504 its excellent)
also
enter more than 12 port re-directs and it kills the router and it wipes
everything!!!!

Old April 8th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"Mr_K" wrote in message
http://www.expansys.com/forumthread....10629&thread=2

KNOWN FAULT!!

Terrible user interface ( I love the dsl-504 its excellent)
also
enter more than 12 port re-directs and it kills the router and it wipes
everything!!!!

Geeze, that's terrible!
You'd think that they'd test simple stuff like that!!

Keep at it with D-Link (calling/emailing them), don't just be put off by
that one unhelpful person.

See if you can get hold of someone helpful. Explain that you know it's a
known problem. But, you just need to know if there is any workaround in the
meantime. Perhaps even tell them you'd be willing to beta test any firmware
prior to it being released?

Keep your eyes peeled at:
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-504t/
They may leave firmware upgrades there before they get a mention elsewhere.

The PSU on my 504 packed up last Summer. Strangely enough, it was around the
time we had that hottest day!!
My suspicions were that the PSU couldn't take the heat.

I wanted D-Link just to send me another PSU. But, in the end had to post
them the whole lot, router & PSU. Took a couple of weeks before they
ultimately sent me a brand new & boxed 504! Thankfully, a colleage at work
lent me a right old cheapo modem/router so's I could remain online.

I was rather perplexed by this, as I'd found out that D-Link's headoffice
(for the UK) is located on the Edgware Road (about 5mins from my living
room)!
http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/interna...al_offices.asp

I'm still fearful of the fact that my DSL modem/router is my one point of
computing failure (have backups/spares for everything else).

Old April 8th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr_K

[...]

Thing is, I have x2 major installs on at the moment and we have been let
down badly with these units.
The Netgear ones we are using are ok, but these lose connectivity after a
while so we don't really want to use them
As a re-seller of these products we get zero priority... its pathetic.

I think its time to find a new brand!!!!