Would BT reroute a cable to give 170 punters broadband?

Old April 8th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

Default Would BT reroute a cable to give 170 punters broadband?

One of the villages we're still trying to get BB for has, at its
Southern Edge a road of 170 houses about 10 years old, whose occupants
are demographically just the sort who would dearly like to get
Broadband. Unfortunately BT brought the telephones in by a slightly
circuitous route (down to the main road along for 400m, then back up
again) and so they are all just over the 6km. Had they taken the lines
directly from the older part of the estate, (along a pre-existing paved
path, blocked presently by a locked gate) almost all of them would have
got BB.

What's the odds on BT providing a rerouted cable?

--
robert w hall
Old April 9th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , George
writes
"robert w hall" wrote in message

What's the odds on BT providing a rerouted cable?

In Caithness we have had trigger levels set and reached in many small
villages. One which had a trigger level of 100 just received an rfs date
that is 1 year away, the reason being that new cabling has to be laid,
coming from a neighbouring village.

Have many of the 170 pre-registered?

I'm sure they've tried - but I suspect the BT checker won't let them at
present.

--
robert w hall
Old April 9th 04, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

robert w hall wrote:
One of the villages we're still trying to get BB for has, at its
Southern Edge a road of 170 houses about 10 years old, whose
occupants are demographically just the sort who would dearly like
to get Broadband. Unfortunately BT brought the telephones in by a
slightly circuitous route (down to the main road along for 400m,
then back up again) and so they are all just over the 6km. Had they
taken the lines directly from the older part of the estate, (along
a pre-existing paved path, blocked presently by a locked gate)
almost all of them would have got BB.

What's the odds on BT providing a rerouted cable?

Snowball & hell or Cow & moon spring to mind.....

Old April 9th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Stromski

Maybe either Satellite or ISDN? A couple of bonded ISDN lines running into a
router would give you 256k you could spread around. Satellite runs at 512k,
but it's only one-way, you still have to dial-up to be able to send
information back, which could get quite packed between 170 houses. (Me has
visions of people staring at the 'Contacting web site....' tip line for
hours on end :-) )

Could you pay another company to put in a fibre line? It only has to run
from the nearest town with an exchange or PoP theoretically.

Orrr, you can get these line-of-sight radio transmitters that can transmit
up to 2km I believe? (Check out http://www.blackbox.co.uk/) You'd need one
in the nearest town/village that does have high-speed internet access and
one in your village with a router on it.

If you know the people that own the fields between your village and the next
village/town along, run your own fibre or copper line between the two,
either connect it to somewhere in the next place or pay a company to take it
from there and hook it up.

I dunno, it's all very costly, I can't think of a cheep way to do it really.
Look at some of the other community broadband projects that are around, see
how they did it.

-Lawrence Stromski.
http://www.wc3.co.uk
http://www.helpforce.com

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Old April 9th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Lawrence Stromski
writes
Could you pay another company to put in a fibre line? It only has to run
from the nearest town with an exchange or PoP theoretically.

the rest of the estate, which should get broadband once we've triggered,
is just 20m through a (locked) gate, on a parallel lane - probably
doesn't even need a wayleave negotiating, just a cable duct making. But
the present cable route is (it appears) taken from 400 yards further
down, at the main road. The added run (400m down to the main drag then
the same back!) just scuppers everything.
snip
If you know the people that own the fields between your village and the next
village/town along, run your own fibre or copper line between the two,
either connect it to somewhere in the next place or pay a company to take it
from there and hook it up.

Yes, it's probably no distance between the two sets of lines! I could
probably trench it myself (in a century of gardening)

--
robert w hall
Old April 9th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

"robert w hall" wrote in message
In article , George
writes
"robert w hall" wrote in message

What's the odds on BT providing a rerouted cable?

In Caithness we have had trigger levels set and reached in many small
villages. One which had a trigger level of 100 just received an rfs date
that is 1 year away, the reason being that new cabling has to be laid,
coming from a neighbouring village.

Have many of the 170 pre-registered?

I'm sure they've tried - but I suspect the BT checker won't let them at
present.

I don't know what the checker is but I pre-registered here long before our
exchange was given a trigger level. In fact a year ago BT reckoned the two
main towns here had no chance of being BB enabled but one has been for a
couple of months now and the other will be enabled in June. I didn't think
the villages had any chance but after a big effort from Broadband4Caithness
it's looking good. Our exchange which required a trigger level of 100 is
awaiting an rfs date. Maybe they could give you some tips?
http://www.broadband4caithness.co.uk/

Old April 9th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mebalsa Ritchy

robert w hall wrote:

In article , Lawrence Stromski
writes

fat snip
Out of curiosity Where is this etherial place? It's kind of like asking
Stagecoach to re-route buses to where people want them..........

--
begin reformed_user.exe
Old April 9th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article m, Mebalsa
Ritchy writes
robert w hall wrote:

In article , Lawrence Stromski
writes

fat snip
Out of curiosity Where is this etherial place? It's kind of like asking
Stagecoach to re-route buses to where people want them..........

Charfield, near the Glos/South Glos county boundary (the village is
split, along the line of the main Birmingham-Bristol railway, between
two exchanges, Wotton, which is enabled, and Falfield, which is
presently at 220 o/o 350)
--
robert w hall
Old April 9th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Lawrence Stromski" wrote in message
Maybe either Satellite or ISDN? A couple of bonded ISDN lines running into

router would give you 256k you could spread around. Satellite runs at

512k,
but it's only one-way, you still have to dial-up to be able to send
information back, which could get quite packed between 170 houses.

Satellite is now two way.

Usually, Down-512 Up-128 £85 a month from http://dsl-sat.co.uk/quantum.htm
.. You and two neighbours sharing would be under £30 a month. The drawback
is you would have a set-up fee of over £2500 pounds though :-(

Steven.