ADSL (PCI) Modem loses Sync, but why?...

Old April 8th 04, 10:30 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
ápuk

Default ADSL (PCI) Modem loses Sync, but why?...

Hi all,

i am STILL getting random disconnection problems with my ADSL.

heres what i've done since my last post.

changed PCI latency from 32 to 16 (and enabled delay transaction) in the
BIOS
removed SBLIVE! and tryed using onboard sound but still probs
phoned BT who say my line is fine.
emailed PIPEX (isp) who say check hardware.
checked hardware and even installed another PCI modem but still gettin
probs! (

PC is connected to a socket upstairs and all 4 sockets in house are
filtered.
I notice slight intermittent crackle on all phones with AND without the
filters!

modem stats:
Upstream Output Power = -38 dBm
Upstream Noise Margin = +15.0 dB
Upstream Attenuation = 31.5 dB

Downstream Noise Margin = +35.4 dB
Downstream Attenuation = 31.5 dB

PC Spec:
ASUS A7V8X (VIA)
AMD XP2400
ENERMAX 350W PSU
RADEO9800PRO
SBLIVE
CONEXANT PCI ADSL MODEM

what the hell do i try next ((

AP

PS: this is the most annoying problem i have ever had!!

"apuk" reply2group wrote in message
thanks for the detailed reply matey,

using an sblive and have the latest via 4in1 drivers
but i'll give the PCI latency a tweak and let you know if it works!

once again, cheers for your help.

"Andrew Portess" wrote in message

"ápuk *f" reply2group wrote in message
I've been using a DSLW700P PCI modem for nearly 2 years and every now

&
again the lights (in my systray) will turn RED for a moment while it
retrains the connection then go back to GREEN when its reconnected.

A friend suggested it could be the modem but its so intermittent that

cant
see how it can be.

I also read it could be a chipset issue (using an ASUS VIA based

system).

I've tried altering the MTU and RWIN values (using the DSLREPORTS

TWEAK
TEST) but its still happening.

Really would like to know what is causing this as its been bugging me

for
months!

Any ideas?

Do you have a soundcard fitted or are you using onboard sound. There is

an
issue with internal sound cards hogging the PCI bus for too long thus
forcing the modem to lose sync and disconnect temporarily. It is not an

IRQ
conflict simply an issue with the PCI bus which has been known for a

long
time with VIA chipsets; they supposedly resolved the problem by
incorporporating a bus master command into the latest chipsets but I

don't
think they have done it right. A talented programmer called George

Breeze
first identified the problem and came out with a patch that sorted the
problem for older VIA chipsets but it doesn't work with newer chipsets
(search on the forums at www.forums.viaarena.com for more info). The
solution is to go into the BIOS and change the PCI latency from the

default
of 32 to 16. This stops devices hogging the PCI bus for too long and

should
(all being well) stop the modem losing sync. I don't know if you have
noticed but it takes far longer to retrain after losing sync this way

than
it does when first started / booted - this is because it cannot retrain

/
sync whilst the PCI bus is being hogged by another device. I worked

this
out for myself after my internal MRI PCI ADSL modem kept losing sync and

MRI
started to offer support and suddenly went quiet once I ahd told them

the
serial number of my modem - strange as if they knew there was a major

issue
or something.

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Old April 8th 04, 10:46 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Mac

"ápuk" reply2group wrote:

[...]

A router .... seriously, even if it is borrowing one to prove its not
PC/wiring type problems.

--
Mac

Old April 8th 04, 10:47 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Zidou

Hi

Have you ever tried with the USB modem? This will narrow down if the PCI
bridge is at fault.

Also borrow another filter from a friend, see if that helps.

If you have Sky remove it, does that work?

If there are new drivers for the PCI card, grab them.

HTH
Zidou

Old April 8th 04, 10:54 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Samuria

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:30:12 +0100, "ápuk" reply2group wrote:

Just caught the thread but have you 4 phone connected? If you have
then you may be exeeding your REN. Try removing all phone temp and
plug the modem into the master socket. Make sure you have the latest
drivers. Does it disconect at random or does something trigger it? If
you are running xp/win2k anything in the event log?

If you have messed about with MTU and other setting that will make
things worse. These setting are specific to you setup and setting them
wrong will cause problems. People just dont understand what they are
messing with.

Old April 8th 04, 10:56 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Lord Kalten

An article is posted by ápuk who is old and wise,
and with the following gibber, the Holy Lord Kalten replies:

i am STILL getting random disconnection problems with my ADSL.

I can't tell from your post whether or not you've had this problem right
from the start or whether its a recent thing.

If the problem is happening only recently then don't worry, I have been
experiencing similar problems with the line. Again, BT says nothing is
wrong, but your modem should de-sync quite regularly from 11pm onwards and
only on the odd occasion during the day. I am not sure if this is BT or
Pipex meddling, but something is happening to the line.

However, I am finding that my modem appears to be working fine for the last
week or so. I was originally concerned that my modem was overheating or
something so that by the time it got to the evening it would start to
de-sync. But I don't think thats the case.

Cheers,

Kalten~!!!

Old April 8th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Andy,

I notice slight intermittent crackle on all phones with AND without the
filters

phoned BT who say my line is fine.

I believe the above two statements are the key to your problems. You may
hardly notice the crackling when using the phone, but it will seriously
corrupt ADSL data. If I were you I would report a noisy line to BT and don't
even mention ADSL.

Graham

%Profound_observation %

Old April 8th 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Buchanan

[...]

apuk,

Well, you have given a clue that there is noise on line without filter, so I
would suggest using nearest phone to BT NTE and test from there, is it still
noisy, if so contact BT on 151 and advise them of noise fault.

However, you advise that there are 4 sockets in house, and PC is connected
upstairs, and you have 4 filters. have you connected the PC from the filter
at main BT NTE if not, there lies another problem. As a test, can you
connect PC to filter at main BT NTE and see if you get same problems. If it
works ok,, you may have to connect PC upstairs by RJ45 connection without
going through other sockets. HTH.

Tom Buchanan

Old April 9th 04, 01:28 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
ápuk

cheers for the replies guys...

I've been a PIPEX customer since May 2002 and the problem has been on an off
for well over a year (possibly since day 1) but only noticed it more
recently since i got into online gaming which as u probably know, requires a
constant connection to a server.

Downloads arent really a problem as on the odd occasion it has disconnected
mid-transfer the connection redials (once the line has resync'd) and the
download continues.

I am currently on the PIPEX 1mb service (nice) but i definatly had the
problem on 512k too.

Hope thats a bit more background, now to address your feedback...

*TRY A ROUTER/USB MODEM*

thought about this, but, i dont know anyone local enough to borrow from but
if the problem persists i will visit my local lending library (aka PC WORLD)

*SKY, NEW DRIVERS ETC*

dont have sky, got the latest drivers for both modems.

*REN, MTU ETC*

well yeah i have 4 phones connected aswell as the ADSL but how come its ok
99.9% of the time? can i do some sort of test to check?

i have 'tinkered' with the RWIN & MTU settings in the past but i sorta know
wot i'm doing (i think!) ..i used DR TCP and read the guides at DSLREPORTS,
but at the moment i am using 1500 MTU (or whatever the default is on this
conexant modem)

note: early this evening i was disconnected from 3 game servers due to the
loss of sync so i decided to go back to the BIOS and set CPU and memory
timings back to default (as i am prone to tweaking that too) and so far the
connection has been stable so maybe its that. Someone once suggested it
could be the VIA chipset or even the PSU not supplying enough power so maybe
overclocking settings etc might not help.

Testing continues....

Once again, thx for your help.
AP

Old April 9th 04, 09:15 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Jupiter

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:30:12 +0100, "ápuk" reply2group wrote:

Hi all,

i am STILL getting random disconnection problems with my ADSL.

heres what i've done since my last post.

changed PCI latency from 32 to 16 (and enabled delay transaction) in the
BIOS
removed SBLIVE! and tryed using onboard sound but still probs
phoned BT who say my line is fine.
emailed PIPEX (isp) who say check hardware.
checked hardware and even installed another PCI modem but still gettin
probs! (

PC is connected to a socket upstairs and all 4 sockets in house are
filtered.
I notice slight intermittent crackle on all phones with AND without the
filters!

On your BT master socket there will be 2 screws in the lower part.
Remove them and take off the lower cover plate carefully (because the
socket on it is wired). Inside that lower half of the master socket
is a test socket connected directly to the incoming line. Connect
your modem to that. If it works properly, then the problem is with
your internal wiring and BT will charge you for sorting that out. If
you still have problems then the BT line is at fault. Try a phone on
it as well and see if you still have this crackle.
I was recently advised to do this because of intermittent
disconnection problems I was having. The modem was fine on the test
socket. I interrogated my wife and found that she had whacked an
upstairs junction box with the vacuum cleaner. Everything's fine now.
The phones were all OK on voice and I was, as one does, blaming BT!

Old April 9th 04, 10:42 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Lord Kalten

An article is posted by ápuk, who is old and wise,
and with the following gibber, the Holy Lord Kalten replies:

cheers for the replies guys...

No probs! :0)

I've been a PIPEX customer since May 2002 and the problem has been on an

off
for well over a year (possibly since day 1) but only noticed it more
recently since i got into online gaming which as u probably know, requires

constant connection to a server.

Ah! The problems with the line haven't been going on for thaaaat long.

note: early this evening i was disconnected from 3 game servers due to the
loss of sync so i decided to go back to the BIOS and set CPU and memory
timings back to default (as i am prone to tweaking that too) and so far

the
connection has been stable so maybe its that. Someone once suggested it
could be the VIA chipset or even the PSU not supplying enough power so

maybe
overclocking settings etc might not help.

About the VIA chipset.....

The VIA chipset on older motherboards (at the time of USB 1.0 and USB 1.1)
were unstable and when using the USB ports on them, they would at times die
horribly. Once they die, all the USB ports on the motherboard would appear
to have lost power and the only thing getting them powered back up is a
system reboot.

Two things:
1) I believe that in your original post, you were using a PCI modem - this
should not have any problems (unless PCI modems use the same VIA chipsets -
I would have thought unlikely).
2) You are able to resync after desync. With the VIA chipset problem, you
need to reboot and your system may even hang when trying to reboot. Your
problem does not indicate a VIA chipset problem, IMHO.

Furthermore, I believe your PC is recent enough for this problem not to
exist - although I could be wrong here. :0)

Several things to try - some of these might seem odd:

1) When connected to the internet via broadband, use your mobile to ring
your landline which you are using to connect to the internet - there should
not be any problems if the split is functioning correctly.

2) If you are using a USB modem, get a USB 2.0 card (they're about £6) and
install it and connect it directly into that card. This will eliminate any
problems on the VIA chipset of the motherboard and also give you USB 2.0 if
you haven't already got it. I personally prefer this as the best option as
it eliminates a lot of other problems at a stroke.

3) If you are using a USB modem, make sure it is a direct connection and not
via a USB hub. Although unlikely, some USB hubs start to become unstable
when left on for a long period of time and/or in certain conditions (e.g.
the day is extremely hot).

4) Go into System Control Device Manager and switch off all power saving
options to your modem and USB devices.

Your power supply should be fine if its 300W or greater - unless you've
really upgraded your PC with a lot of stuff.

Cheers,

Kalten~!!!