Pipex query

Old April 9th 04, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KerplunKuK

Default Pipex query

Can anyone confirm whether Pipex 1Mb broadband offers a no limits service,
and allows use of newsgroups and P2P?
Can anyone explain the difference between the home user package and the
business package?
I currently am a ISDN subscriber with them on a business package.
All help appreciated.

Thanks

--
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Old April 9th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vic.

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:51:24 +0000, StarBuck wrote:

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 05:59:36 +0530, "Fox"
wrote:
"KerplunKuK" wrote in message
Can anyone confirm whether Pipex 1Mb broadband offers a no limits service,
and allows use of newsgroups and P2P?
Can anyone explain the difference between the home user package and the
business package?
I currently am a ISDN subscriber with them on a business package.
All help appreciated.

Yes, you heard correctly ! UNLIMITED usage / UNMETERED usage with PIPEX....

I'm also looking at possible pipex sign-up

Pipex do 35,000 news groups according to there web site do these
include the binary warez groups ? and how many days retention ?

Pipex do provide a full news service, in that there's all the groups
you could wish for.

Their news service falls down in only three areas:

1) Completion rate for multi-part postings.
2) Retention period
2) Bandwidth allowed/allocated for downloading from groups.

As an ISP, Pipex are pretty good, and their tech support (in my
experience) is OK.

As a news provider they are pants. Do yourself a favour and shell out
the $2.99/month for a 2 gig plan with Agent.

Vic.
Old April 9th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StarBuck

wrote:
"KerplunKuK" wrote in message
Can anyone confirm whether Pipex 1Mb broadband offers a no limits service,
and allows use of newsgroups and P2P?
Can anyone explain the difference between the home user package and the
business package?
I currently am a ISDN subscriber with them on a business package.
All help appreciated.

Yes, you heard correctly ! UNLIMITED usage / UNMETERED usage with PIPEX....

I'm also looking at possible pipex sign-up

Pipex do 35,000 news groups according to there web site do these
include the binary warez groups ? and how many days retention ?

also what is there e-mail specs with reguards server storage space?

StarBuck
Old April 9th 04, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:47:48 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband Vic.
strung together this:

I'm also looking at possible pipex sign-up

Pipex do 35,000 news groups according to there web site do these
include the binary warez groups ? and how many days retention ?

Pipex do provide a full news service, in that there's all the groups
you could wish for.

Their news service falls down in only three areas:

1) Completion rate for multi-part postings.
2) Retention period
2) Bandwidth allowed/allocated for downloading from groups.

As an ISP, Pipex are pretty good, and their tech support (in my
experience) is OK.

As a news provider they are pants. Do yourself a favour and shell out
the $2.99/month for a 2 gig plan with Agent.

I use the pipex news service and have had the odd one or two messages
be a bit delayed but I think that may be the posters ISPs. I find the
downloads quick, (from server 195.129.110.67), and have never hit any
sort of bandwidth problems with downloads or uploads.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 9th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StarBuck

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:47:48 +0100, Vic.
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:51:24 +0000, StarBuck wrote:
I'm also looking at possible pipex sign-up

Pipex do 35,000 news groups according to there web site do these
include the binary warez groups ? and how many days retention ?

Pipex do provide a full news service, in that there's all the groups
you could wish for.

Their news service falls down in only three areas:

1) Completion rate for multi-part postings.

this is important to me.

2) Retention period

I only need 2 to 5 days

2) Bandwidth allowed/allocated for downloading from groups.

not sure what this means ! The total gigs per day or the speed of
downloading?

As an ISP, Pipex are pretty good, and their tech support (in my
experience) is OK.

As a news provider they are pants. Do yourself a favour and shell out
the $2.99/month for a 2 gig plan with Agent.

Vic.

I've got 15 day retention with good to reasonable completion with
unlimited download with astraweb backed up with an easynews account,
plus text for free from both readfreenews and individual.net. My
requirement is 2 to 5 days retention with good completion that is
faster than the slow astraweb connection on ntl cable.

I may sign up with pipex or clara.net not sure which yet.

Thanks
StarBuck
Old April 10th 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Noman Nomeniscio

Last time I had the service I had no problems with large (10Mb - 15Mb)
attachments. They supposedly give you 100Mb of email storage space but it is
recommended you use POP3 to download it using a mail client (e.g. Outlook).

"StarBuck" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:58:37 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info got any ideas on the e-mail storage allowance?

StarBuck

Old April 10th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 20:27:21 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband StarBuck
strung together this:

2) Retention period

I only need 2 to 5 days

After a quick check it appears that retention is around 5 days.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 10th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
StarBuck

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:39:40 +0100, "Noman Nomeniscio"
wrote:

Last time I had the service I had no problems with large (10Mb - 15Mb)
attachments. They supposedly give you 100Mb of email storage space but it is
recommended you use POP3 to download it using a mail client (e.g. Outlook).

Thanks for this info

I use the freeware mail-news server 'Hamster' to get mail from pop3
accounts as this enables me to over come the 500MB limits of Outlook
express (ok, it will recieve more but archiving or mail deletion
becomes a problem as is virus propagation so i use agent with Hamster
instead).
Hamster is also supported in usenet newsgroups so help is available
and using it enables me to use any mail reader.

looks like a phone call to pipex after easter to get full info and
possible sign-up

Thanks again
StarBuck