(Hopefully!) simple question no 1

Old April 9th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Hancock

Default (Hopefully!) simple question no 1

I'm just starting to get into ADSL/wireless networking. I have two
laptops - one running XP Home and one running XP Pro and with wireless
networking capabilities. I'm currently waiting for my ADSL service to
be enabled and I've been trying to set up my modem/router (3com
OfficeConnect). To configure the router I need to open Internet
Explorer and enter the router IP address (192.168.1.1). When I do
this, IE complains that I can only access this address if I go online.
If I connect to my dialup service I am able to connect to the IP
address and talk to the router. I'm sure I shouldn't have to connect
to the internet to access the router. Is there some simple setting
that lets me talk to the router without having to connect to the
internet? There must be some way otherwise how would anyone set up
their modem/router if that was their only interface to the internet.

TIA
Old April 9th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Simon Hancock" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From IE - Tools, Internet options, Connections tab, check radio box never
dial a connection.

Old April 10th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Hancock

"John" wrote in message news:[email protected]
[...]

From IE - Tools, Internet options, Connections tab, check radio box never
dial a connection.

Thanks. I knew it would be something simple!