Simple(?) question no 2

Old April 9th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Hancock

Default Simple(?) question no 2

I have just bought a wireless router/modem. I have two laptops, both
running XP (one Home, one Pro). What's the simplest way to set them up
so each machine can see the other and allow me to share and exchange
files? A quick look through the network wizard settings doesn't seem
to offer the option I want. It all seems to be based on sharing an
internet connection. Once my ADSL line is set up, I assume both
machines will be accessing the modem directly. Until then, I'd just
like some way of connecting the two machines without getting the
internet involved at all.

TIA
Old April 9th 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Simon Hancock" wrote in message
om...
I have just bought a wireless router/modem. I have two laptops, both
running XP (one Home, one Pro). What's the simplest way to set them up
so each machine can see the other and allow me to share and exchange
files? A quick look through the network wizard settings doesn't seem
to offer the option I want. It all seems to be based on sharing an
internet connection. Once my ADSL line is set up, I assume both
machines will be accessing the modem directly. Until then, I'd just
like some way of connecting the two machines without getting the
internet involved at all.

TIA

Set-up both machines with the same workgroup name - you will probably need
to disable the firewalls on both machines to get them to see eachother.
Obviously install file and printer sharing and make sharing available on
folders / printers. Either in ad hoc mode without the router or
infastructure mode with.

Old April 9th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

John wrote:
[...]

If these machines are going to access the internet do NOT disable the
firewall, unless you want to catch a virus or be hacked.

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
Old April 9th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Andrew Welham wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

If you're using personal firewalls on each laptop (such as Zone Alarm, or
maybe the one which comes with XP) you'll need to define a trusted zone
which includes the IP address range of your local network. Otherwise they
won't be able to communicate with each other.

--
Cheers,
Tim