Virgin trying to pull a fast-one?

Old April 10th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mantorok

Default Virgin trying to pull a fast-one?

Hi

I'm with Virgin BB and I received information about my (first) direct-debit
payment, the agreement was 24.99 a month, however this is now not the case.

I've attached all correspondence so far, I still can't work out what they
are saying, are they trying to pull one over on me? Whether or not, I will
be ringing them next week, just wondering if any of the below makes sense,
cos it doesn't to me!

Thanks
Kev

*attached email*
----------- last message by me ------------------------

I still don't understand what you mean.

My broadband was active from the activation date, my DD is 24.99 a month,
nothing more, nothing less.

Again, please explain, and this time make some sense and give me the facts,
not if's and buts.

Kev
Date: 04/10/04

My DD is 24.99 a month, every 7th of the month.

Please explain.

Thanks
Kev
Date: 04/08/04

Could you advise me on what the below DD is for?

Thank you
Kevin Lawrence

Old April 10th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

I'm no DD or Virgin expert, but this seems to be due to the fact although
you went live on the 7th of a month, but they are not taking payment until
the 20th of each month. I think the "extra" balance is for the days between
the 7th and the 20th in the first month of subscription.

I'd expect the DD to be on the 20th of each month from then on for 24.99.

Jc.

Old April 10th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:47:45 +0100, "Mantorok"
wrote:

I'm with Virgin BB and I received information about my (first) direct-debit
payment, the agreement was 24.99 a month, however this is now not the case.

So on 20/04/2004 they are going to take 44.15 as your first payment
by direct debit. This surely includes the arrears element and the
advance payment for the next month, thereafter 24.99 per month in
advance.

What was your live date?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

Old April 10th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

wrote:

I'm with Virgin BB and I received information about my (first)

direct-debit
payment, the agreement was 24.99 a month, however this is now not the

case.

So on 20/04/2004 they are going to take 44.15 as your first payment
by direct debit. This surely includes the arrears element and the
advance payment for the next month, thereafter 24.99 per month in
advance.

What was your live date?

15th March

16 days in March, plus 7 days to get to the 7th is 23 days

23/30 = 0.766666

Plus 1 for a full month the times 24,99 = 44.15

Hey presto !

Old April 10th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant Crozier

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:16:13 +0100, Graham in Melton
wrote:
16 days in March, plus 7 days to get to the 7th is 23 days

23/30 = 0.766666

Plus 1 for a full month the times 24,99 = 44.15

Hey presto !

You are perfectly right here Graham but all the same companies should
state on sign up exactly what your first payment WILL be not say 24
quid and which in the end works out at 44.15.
If you get 44.15 flashing in front of your eyes on complication of
sign up then you have the chance to back out which you cannot do ten
days later when activation has taken place .
Grant .
Old April 11th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

16 days in March, plus 7 days to get to the 7th is 23 days

23/30 = 0.766666

Plus 1 for a full month the times 24,99 = 44.15

Hey presto !

You are perfectly right here Graham but all the same companies should
state on sign up exactly what your first payment WILL be not say 24
quid and which in the end works out at 44.15.
If you get 44.15 flashing in front of your eyes on complication of
sign up then you have the chance to back out which you cannot do ten
days later when activation has taken place .

You aren't paying anything extra - it's just an amortisation of the fraction
of the first month, plus the second month.

Old April 11th 04, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Howlett

Trent SC wrote:
16 days in March, plus 7 days to get to the 7th is 23 days

23/30 = 0.766666

Plus 1 for a full month the times 24,99 = 44.15

Hey presto !

You are perfectly right here Graham but all the same companies should
state on sign up exactly what your first payment WILL be not say 24
quid and which in the end works out at 44.15.
If you get 44.15 flashing in front of your eyes on complication of
sign up then you have the chance to back out which you cannot do ten
days later when activation has taken place .

You aren't paying anything extra - it's just an amortisation of the fraction
of the first month, plus the second month.

Original poster obviously hasn't signed up for a service that involves an
advance billed monthly payment (eg contract mobile, etc), because this is
standard practice IME. To be fair though, some companies explain the "extra"
initial amount better than others.

--
Richard Howlett

Mail to "newsgroups" will be rejected.
Mail to my forename will not.

Old April 11th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:50:34 GMT, Grant Crozier
wrote:

You are perfectly right here Graham but all the same companies should
state on sign up exactly what your first payment WILL be not say 24
quid and which in the end works out at 44.15.
If you get 44.15 flashing in front of your eyes on complication of
sign up then you have the chance to back out which you cannot do ten
days later when activation has taken place .

Most companies will not know the answer when you sign up. It largely
depends upon when the first driect debit will be accepted - how will
they know for sure?

Frankly I have read postings like this in uk.telecom.mobile as well
where people query their first payment. It demonstrates to me how
poor people are when it comes to knowing what they have to pay for a
service. Common sense sadly lacking.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old April 11th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:26:44 +0100, Zapp Brannigan
wrote:

If find to hard to accept that these people think the company will give
them a free service from (in this case) 15th until the 7th.. It's
quite obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that this is what
is happening, you can even calculate it simply (as someone has done)....

And no dount the original poster will appear on uk.legal or
uk.people.consumers in a few months asking about debt consolidation,
cancelling a contract early, etc. etc.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker