Look no router!

Old April 11th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

Default Look no router!

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:46:05 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Baz"
strung together this:

I'm sorely tempted to build a micro-silent-PC, and run IPCop on it once
again!

I use IPCop and can't fault it. I keep heading over to
www.mini-itx.com for new ideas on building silent servers and
firewalls. (Be careful though, I've got a couple of projects on the go

It occurs to me that an old laptop with a broken screen (which can be
had for peanuts) would be a good, small, silent device for this purpose.

Anyone got any thoughts on this before I buy one (and a monitor/
keyboard switch) and try it out?
Old April 11th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:46:05 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Baz"
strung together this:

I'm sorely tempted to build a micro-silent-PC, and run IPCop on it once
again!

I use IPCop and can't fault it. I keep heading over to
www.mini-itx.com for new ideas on building silent servers and
firewalls. (Be careful though, I've got a couple of projects on the go

It occurs to me that an old laptop with a broken screen (which can be
had for peanuts) would be a good, small, silent device for this purpose.

Anyone got any thoughts on this before I buy one (and a monitor/
keyboard switch) and try it out?

Utilising a USB DSL modem?
Should work a treat.
As long as it has onboard ethernet, or you have a suitable USB/PCMCIA
ethernet card (that will work/install in Smoothie/IPCop).

With a laptop, it's not so easy to install a DMZ (orange), unless you can
add another network interface. But, not many people require DMZs.

Let me know how you get on, and where you source your cheap laptops from!!

You should only need a keyboard/screen for the setup/install phase. Once the
machine is setup, it's all configurable via HTTP, or you can switch on SSH.

Baz
barry underscore mccauley at hotmail dot com

Old April 11th 04, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:39:56 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband Jacqui or
(maybe) Pete strung together this:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:46:05 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Baz"
strung together this:

I'm sorely tempted to build a micro-silent-PC, and run IPCop on it once
again!

I use IPCop and can't fault it. I keep heading over to
www.mini-itx.com for new ideas on building silent servers and
firewalls. (Be careful though, I've got a couple of projects on the go

It occurs to me that an old laptop with a broken screen (which can be
had for peanuts) would be a good, small, silent device for this purpose.

Hmm. Good idea, I think I'll stick that on the 'to-do' list. It
doesn't even have to have a broken screen, a early pentium laptop can
be had for peanuts also.

Anyone got any thoughts on this before I buy one (and a monitor/
keyboard switch) and try it out?

Why the monitor\keyboard switch?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 13th 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:39:56 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband Jacqui or
(maybe) Pete strung together this:

In article ,

says...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:46:05 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Baz"
strung together this:

I use IPCop and can't fault it. I keep heading over to
www.mini-itx.com for new ideas on building silent servers and
It occurs to me that an old laptop with a broken screen (which can be
had for peanuts) would be a good, small, silent device for this purpose.

Hmm. Good idea, I think I'll stick that on the 'to-do' list. It
doesn't even have to have a broken screen, a early pentium laptop can
be had for peanuts also.

True.

Anyone got any thoughts on this before I buy one (and a monitor/
keyboard switch) and try it out?

Why the monitor\keyboard switch?

Not essential, but handy given the broken screen.
Old April 13th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:16:37 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband Jacqui or
(maybe) Pete strung together this:

It occurs to me that an old laptop with a broken screen (which can be
had for peanuts) would be a good, small, silent device for this purpose.

Hmm. Good idea, I think I'll stick that on the 'to-do' list. It
doesn't even have to have a broken screen, a early pentium laptop can
be had for peanuts also.

True.

Anyone got any thoughts on this before I buy one (and a monitor/
keyboard switch) and try it out?

Why the monitor\keyboard switch?

Not essential, but handy given the broken screen.

You only to plug a monitor and keyboard in if the ones on the laptop
are broken, and even then only for a few minutes while you set it up.
After that you can log in through the web interface or with ssh, my
IPcop box hasn't had a monitor or keyboard plugged into it since the
day it was installed.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.