Time to fix my email address - Help please

Old April 12th 04, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Cocker

Default Time to fix my email address - Help please

I am in the process of moving from NTL to ADSL, and am looking for help in
trying to avoid having to change my email address again in the future.

What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain
through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ ( are they any good?), and then transfer
the domain to PlusNet (my chosen ISP) for DNS hosting only.

Is that all that I need to do?

Old April 12th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

I am in the process of moving from NTL to ADSL, and am looking for
help in trying to avoid having to change my email address again in the
future.

What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain
through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ ( are they any good?), and then
transfer the domain to PlusNet (my chosen ISP) for DNS hosting only.

Is that all that I need to do?

No need to transfer, which will cost an arm and/or a leg. Get one with
email icluded (mine are with Easyspace) and pick up from there or forward
if needed.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
Old April 12th 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Cocker

"Joe Soap" wrote in message
.4...
:

I am in the process of moving from NTL to ADSL, and am looking for
help in trying to avoid having to change my email address again in the
future.

What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain
through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ ( are they any good?), and then
transfer the domain to PlusNet (my chosen ISP) for DNS hosting only.

Is that all that I need to do?

No need to transfer, which will cost an arm and/or a leg. Get one with
email icluded (mine are with Easyspace) and pick up from there or forward
if needed.

Thanks - I was considering that as well - 123-reg do forwarding as part of
their 2.59 deal - but I was under the impression that PlusNet allow you to
transfer for free. Is that not the case? and if so, any idea of price?

Thanks again,

J.

Old April 12th 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

No need to transfer, which will cost an arm and/or a leg. Get one
with email icluded (mine are with Easyspace) and pick up from there
or forward if needed.

Thanks - I was considering that as well - 123-reg do forwarding as
part of their 2.59 deal - but I was under the impression that PlusNet
allow you to transfer for free. Is that not the case? and if so, any
idea of price?

They might well do that. But there will be a ransom for the releasing.

Old April 12th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

"Joe Cocker" wrote in message

"Joe Soap" wrote in message
.4...
:

[...]

Still no need to transfer the domain, which could bring problems later
on. What you could do is set up an email address with a free service,
like Hotmail, then redirect your email from your new domain name, to
the hotmail address, then it could be accessed from any account.
I am with 123reg, and have an email address set up as above with no
problems

Old April 12th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

news
What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain

I'd recommend against cheap, because cheap will limit your options.

Yes it will. But when we find out what the limitations are, we can go for a
more expensive option (a new domain) with the benefit of our cheaply-
acquired knowledge.

Old April 12th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Joe Cocker wrote:
I am in the process of moving from NTL to ADSL, and am looking for
help in trying to avoid having to change my email address again in
the future.

What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain
through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ ( are they any good?), and then
transfer the domain to PlusNet (my chosen ISP) for DNS hosting only.

Is that all that I need to do?

Wy not keep the NTL account open by moving to the 0845 dial-up service which
is free. Then use your new ISP's SMTP for sending but POP from the NTL
account. Set the sender address as your current NTL address and hey presto -
no change.

Old April 12th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Joe Cocker wrote:
I am in the process of moving from NTL to ADSL, and am looking for
help in trying to avoid having to change my email address again in
the future.

What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain
through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ ( are they any good?), and then
transfer the domain to PlusNet (my chosen ISP) for DNS hosting only.

Is that all that I need to do?

I use the free email forwarding service from www.bigfoot.com and that has
served me well for 5 years or more through various ISPs from Tesco,
Freeserve, BT Openworld and now PlusNet.

Old April 12th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:55:19 +0100, in article
"Joe Cocker"
wrote:

What I was thinking about doing was to register a cheap .co.uk domain

I'd recommend against cheap, because cheap will limit your options.

Personally I use virtualnames and cannot recommend them too highly.
Gradwell also have a good name. Both allow manipulation of DNS records
which is a big plus in certain circumstances (static IP address(es) for
instance).

Hi Brian,

how would it be a big plus to allow manipulation of DNS records in certain
circumstances (static IP address(es) for instance).

cheers

Steven.

Old April 12th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

I use the free email forwarding service from www.bigfoot.com and that has
served me well for 5 years or more through various ISPs from Tesco,
Freeserve, BT Openworld and now PlusNet.

But they insist that you accept their spam as payment...