If i type www i can't see my webpage, why????

Old April 12th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C. Arruda

Default If i type www i can't see my webpage, why????

I recently changed ISPs from Freeserve ADSL to NTL 1MB cable.
I have my website hosted at http://webhosting.uk.com/ and my url is
http://carlos-arruda.com.

The problem here is that i canīt almoust of the time access my site by
typing www.carlos-arruda.com or access to http://www.webhosting.uk.com/.

Now this has never happend before and i wonder if its because of the ISP
change.

I use my website, for now mainly for pop3 account (e-mail server) and even
there most of the time to retrieve my e-mails i canīt by ussing
mail.carlos-arruda.com as before but instead have to just use
carlos-arruda.com as pop3.

Does anyones has an explanation to this, has anyone experience this before?

Cheers to all....

C. Arruda

Old April 12th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"C. Arruda" wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
I recently changed ISPs from Freeserve ADSL to NTL 1MB cable.
I have my website hosted at http://webhosting.uk.com/ and my url is
http://carlos-arruda.com.

The problem here is that i canīt almoust of the time access my site by
typing www.carlos-arruda.com or access to http://www.webhosting.uk.com/.

Does anyones has an explanation to this, has anyone experience this

before?

The thing about DNS (the system that converts domain names to IPs) is that
it differeniates between carlos-arruda.com and www.carlos-arrudo.com

If I go to a commmand prompt, and type 'nslookup', I can query DNS entries.
I get this. Lines with a '' are where I've entered something.

carlos-arruda.com

Server: ns2.bulldogdsl.com
Address: 212.158.192.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: carlos-arruda.com
Address: 66.232.152.113

www.carlos-arrudo.com

Server: ns2.bulldogdsl.com
Address: 212.158.192.2

*** ns2.bulldogdsl.com can't find www.carlos-arrudo.com: Non-existent domain

So, it would appear that there is a DNS entry for carlos-arruda.com, but, no
DNS entry for www.carlos-arrudo

The domain servers listed for carlos-arrudo.com a
ns1.redbackinternet.co.uk
ns2.redbackinternet.co.uk
These ring a bell? Know who administers them? webhosting.uk.com (your host)?
Or Register.com (who you registered the name with)? Or, perhaps your ISP?

Get them to add an 'A' record for www.carlos-arrudo.com pointing to same
address as carlos-arrudo.com (66.232.152.113).

Hope this helps a little.

Baz

Old April 12th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Topper

"C. Arruda" wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
I recently changed ISPs from Freeserve ADSL to NTL 1MB cable.
I have my website hosted at http://webhosting.uk.com/ and my url is
http://carlos-arruda.com.

The problem here is that i canīt almoust of the time access my site by
typing www.carlos-arruda.com or access to http://www.webhosting.uk.com/.

I'm confused because you seem to have been able to upload your pictures last
night to http://carlos-arruda.com/pics.htm

Old April 12th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C. Arruda

Sorry mate my mistake.
The url is http://carlos-arruda.com
I just went to my url register at www.register.com and logod in and
amasingly it says there that i haven't got any domain there, could this be
it, whats caussing the problem?
Cheers,
C. Arruda

"Baz" wrote in message
news:%[email protected]

Old April 12th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C. Arruda

Yes i can but not ussing www.carlos-arruda.com on frontpage as i've always
used it now it has to be just http://carlos-arruda.com.
and for my e-mail server wich once was mail.carlos-arruda.com now it has to
be just carlos-arruda.com or it won't conect to the server....

"Topper" wrote in message
news:%[email protected]

Old April 12th 04, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Stromski

When you register a domain, you are only registering the last part, in your
case carlos-arruda.com. Thats the actual domain name, so when you do a
search on register.com and it tells you www.carlos-arruda.com is taken,
thats because it is, in fact everything.carlos-arruda.com is taken.

Now, in order to be able to look at www.carlos-arruda.com (instead of just
carlos-arruda.com) your ISP needs to insert a special record into the DNS
telling it that when you visit www.carlos-arruda.com, it is to re-direct you
to your server. (Just like when your email client 'calls'
mail.carlos-arruda.com, it's told to re-direct to your email server, that
bit is obviously set up right if you can access your email, it's just www
isn't.)
You need to contact your ISP's support department and tell them about this
problem, they should be able to correct the record for you.

--
-Lawrence Stromski.
http://www.wc3.co.uk

"C. Arruda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Yes i can but not ussing www.carlos-arruda.com on frontpage as i've always
used it now it has to be just http://carlos-arruda.com.
and for my e-mail server wich once was mail.carlos-arruda.com now it has

be just carlos-arruda.com or it won't conect to the server....

"Topper" wrote in message
news:%[email protected]

Old April 12th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"C. Arruda" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Sorry mate my mistake.
The url is http://carlos-arruda.com
I just went to my url register at www.register.com and logod in and
amasingly it says there that i haven't got any domain there, could this be
it, whats caussing the problem?

Sorry mate!! My typo!

Well, here's the nslookup info for the right names!!
;-)

carlos-arruda.com

Server: ns2.bulldogdsl.com
Address: 212.158.192.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: carlos-arruda.com
Address: 66.232.152.113

www.carlos-arruda.com

Server: ns2.bulldogdsl.com
Address: 212.158.192.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: carlos-arruda.com
Address: 66.232.152.113
Aliases: www.carlos-arruda.com

So, your 'a' records are setup correctly.

And, I can see both http://www.carlos-arruda.com and
http://carlos-arruda.com from my browser.

Have you changed the DNS entries recently?
You should allow around 3-5days (I forget the exact figure) for a Worldwide
change.

So, perhaps you have a localised problem? Caching problem in browser?
Can you open up a command prompt and 'ping'/'tracert' both addresses? What
results do you get?

Do you have entries in your 'hosts' file that is causing confusion? (Do you
know how to check/change the hosts file?)
Which OS are you using?

Questions! Questions!!

If you want to check external access to websites then these are handy:
www.samspade.org (down at present)
http://www.watchmouse.com/en/checkit.php - v.handy for checking routing to
sites from multiple locations around the world.
As the two sites listed above are located elsewhere on the 'net, they
effectively rule out localised problems you may be having.

Baz

Old April 12th 04, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C. Arruda

Hello again.
Can you guys please see pic on the link and see if it has anything to do
with this.

http://carlos-arruda.com/settings.htm

I am confused when you say ns2.bulldogdsl.com, is this my dns server? cause
if it is it shouldn't be, i have ns1.redbackinternet.co.uk
ns2.redbackinternet.co.uk as my dns servers as you also can in pic.

As for OS i'm running windows XP Pro.

Running a tracert or ping on my machine, please see link as well as it is
there to see.

Either by ping or tracert the address www.carlos-arruda.com doesn't responds
only the carlos-arruda.com.

Anymore ideias?

Cheers,
C. Arruda

Old April 12th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Baz

"C. Arruda" wrote in message

I am confused when you say ns2.bulldogdsl.com, is this my dns server?

cause

Don't worry about that. When you use 'nslookup', it queries your own DNS.
That is my DNS, you'll have a seperate one.

Running a tracert or ping on my machine, please see link as well as it is
there to see.

Either by ping or tracert the address www.carlos-arruda.com doesn't

responds
only the carlos-arruda.com.

You're definately having a dns failure for www.carlos-arruda.com
It's hard to say why.

Since www.carlos-arruda.com doesn't resolve at all, we can pretty much rule
out foul play from within your browser, or your hosts file.

Since I can resolve www.carlos-arruda.com and you can't, perhaps there is a
failure for this address in your ISPs DNS?

Open a command prompt.
Type 'nslookup'.
Type 'www.carlos-arruda.com'
(all without quotes, of course!)

What do you get?

Also from a command prompt, can you include what you see when you type
'ipconfig/all'

Old April 12th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C. Arruda

"Baz" wrote in message
"C. Arruda" wrote in message

[...]

the pics are there now, you can see what happens...
i just remembered, i have a router bettewn my PC and the cable modem, does
that helps?
Cheers,
C. Arruda