isdn specifications

Old April 12th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default isdn specifications

Not quite broadband, but hoping someone here can answer my question.

On this website... http://www.micklebring.com/crb/alternatives.htm it
states that Home Highway has a maximum reach of 2km from the exchange. But
I am wondering if this is correct information as I have home highway but I
am just over 6km from exchange which is why I cannot get adsl.

Old April 12th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message
On this website... http://www.micklebring.com/crb/alternatives.htm it
states that Home Highway has a maximum reach of 2km from the exchange.

But
I am wondering if this is correct information as I have home highway but I
am just over 6km from exchange which is why I cannot get adsl.

Well as you have it, the information is obviously incorrect

When Home Highway was initially released the limit was something 3.5 Km but
it was later extended....

Regards
Sunil

Old April 12th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
On this website... http://www.micklebring.com/crb/alternatives.htm it
states that Home Highway has a maximum reach of 2km from the exchange.

But
I am wondering if this is correct information as I have home highway but

am just over 6km from exchange which is why I cannot get adsl.

Well as you have it, the information is obviously incorrect

When Home Highway was initially released the limit was something 3.5 Km

but
it was later extended....

Not obviously incorrect. I was hoping that the BT line checker had the
wrong information and my line was in the maximum distance allowed.

Old April 12th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Beck" wrote in message
Not obviously incorrect. I was hoping that the BT line checker had the
wrong information and my line was in the maximum distance allowed.

I've posted this somewhere else but given I know how hard you have tried to
get ADSL!..

BT are looking internally at increasing the ADSL limit to 70dB.. maybe as
soon as sometime this summer.

Assuming it happens, from memory you should then be able to get ADSL..

Regards
Sunil

Old April 12th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

"Beck" wrote in message
Not quite broadband, but hoping someone here can answer my question.

On this website... http://www.micklebring.com/crb/alternatives.htm it
states that Home Highway has a maximum reach of 2km from the exchange.

But
I am wondering if this is correct information as I have home highway but I
am just over 6km from exchange which is why I cannot get adsl.

It's not correct - the limit is actually an attenuation limit but it usually
translates to a maximum distance of around 5km. See my tutorial at
www.mckerracher.org/highway.

Keep trying for adsl - they are extending the reach all the time with new
technologies such as RADSL.

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org

Old April 12th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
Not obviously incorrect. I was hoping that the BT line checker had the
wrong information and my line was in the maximum distance allowed.

I've posted this somewhere else but given I know how hard you have tried

get ADSL!..

BT are looking internally at increasing the ADSL limit to 70dB.. maybe as
soon as sometime this summer.

Assuming it happens, from memory you should then be able to get ADSL..

I have tried my utmost Sunil, well you have seen my posts over the last year
or so. It kills me that I cannot get it. Sad thing is, I dont particularly
want it that bad, its the principal of not being able to get it makes it
worse. Kind of like a rebellion.
If they increase the loss to 70db then I am definitely in with a chance as I
am sure my last recorded db was 65db
I have read alot about the adsl 2 which looks promising but again its going
to take some time to develop into a product.
BT advise me to place an order every few months just incase changes do
happen, so today I have placed another order. But I know it will fail. I
just wait for that lucky chance to happen.

Old April 12th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Phil McKerracher" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
Not quite broadband, but hoping someone here can answer my question.

On this website... http://www.micklebring.com/crb/alternatives.htm it
states that Home Highway has a maximum reach of 2km from the exchange.

But
I am wondering if this is correct information as I have home highway but

am just over 6km from exchange which is why I cannot get adsl.

It's not correct - the limit is actually an attenuation limit but it

usually
translates to a maximum distance of around 5km. See my tutorial at
www.mckerracher.org/highway.

Keep trying for adsl - they are extending the reach all the time with new
technologies such as RADSL.

But even at 5km theoretically I should be out of range of isdn. BT say my
line length is 6.75km. So you can understand my confusion on this matter
:-(

Old April 12th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

"Beck" wrote in message
...But even at 5km theoretically I should be out of range of isdn. BT say

my
line length is 6.75km. So you can understand my confusion on this matter
:-(

As I said, there's no theoretical distance limit, there's an attenuation
limit and a signal-to-noise limit. You must have thick wires and quiet
neighbours (or else BT's distance measurement is wrong, which is also quite
possible).

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org

Old April 13th 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Phil McKerracher" wrote in message
news

"Beck" wrote in message
...But even at 5km theoretically I should be out of range of isdn. BT

say
my
line length is 6.75km. So you can understand my confusion on this

matter
:-(

As I said, there's no theoretical distance limit, there's an attenuation
limit and a signal-to-noise limit. You must have thick wires and quiet
neighbours (or else BT's distance measurement is wrong, which is also

quite
possible).

I wonder if my line is within the 6km required for adsl its just not saying
on their database.

Old April 13th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Turrell

you seem to know a lot about your line, distance, db loss etc..

How do you find this information out? Surely bt wont tell you as they gain
nothing from it by giving you this information, do they?

I would like to know my line specs, as the phone number checker says out of
range too, but by how much, i dont know!

stuart