Broadband and wireless connection/modem problem

Old April 12th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C Tate

Default Broadband and wireless connection/modem problem

We recently got bt yahoo broadband. I set up a wireless connection for with
a router and a new modem with an Ethernet connection, both of which we had
to buy. For some reason the computer keeps losing the connection with the
modem. Why would this happen?

Another problem concerns the browser. We didn't want to use the yahoo one so
I changed it to IExplorer. Yahoo used to ask for a sign in but since we went
to explorer we don't have to do this. Why not? Is this compromising
security? Should I change the configuration so we do have to sign in?

Old April 12th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"C Tate" wrote in message
We recently got bt yahoo broadband. I set up a wireless connection for

with
a router and a new modem with an Ethernet connection, both of which we had
to buy. For some reason the computer keeps losing the connection with the
modem. Why would this happen?

Another problem concerns the browser. We didn't want to use the yahoo one

so
I changed it to IExplorer. Yahoo used to ask for a sign in but since we

went
to explorer we don't have to do this. Why not? Is this compromising
security? Should I change the configuration so we do have to sign in?

I dont know about routers, but with regards to your browser problem, its not
a problem. You do not have to sign in unless visiting the BTyahoo portal.
All other internet browser activity outside of BTyahoo does not require
their sign in. Continue as you are, it is safe.

Old April 13th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:11:48 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "C Tate"
strung together this:

We recently got bt yahoo broadband. I set up a wireless connection for with
a router and a new modem with an Ethernet connection, both of which we had
to buy. For some reason the computer keeps losing the connection with the
modem. Why would this happen?

When you say 'loses connection with the modem' do you mean;

You lose internet access but can access the modems config pages?
You lose internet connection and access to the modems config pages?
Any other variations on the above?
How do you regain a connection?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 13th 04, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Another problem concerns the browser. We didn't want to use the yahoo one so
I changed it to IExplorer. Yahoo used to ask for a sign in but since we went
to explorer we don't have to do this. Why not? Is this compromising
security? Should I change the configuration so we do have to sign in?

If you weren`t going to a yahoo portal, it might be that BT were trying a
little spyware campaign - they used to make people use a "dialler" that
wasn`t of any real use, and used that to track their users activity
online. I`m not sure whether it did anything other than passing on an ID
string to their main site when you first connect, or whether it allowed
site tracking (I think some javascript can allow sites you visit to be
reported "back" but I could be wrong)

Old April 13th 04, 07:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
C Tate

What I mean is I lose Internet access and access to the modem config pages.
I only regain access after much trouble. One time I did a hard reset of the
modem. Another time I switched everything on and off a few times and it
eventually all worked again.

Old April 13th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:10:24 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "C Tate"
strung together this:

What I mean is I lose Internet access and access to the modem config pages.
I only regain access after much trouble. One time I did a hard reset of the
modem. Another time I switched everything on and off a few times and it
eventually all worked again.

Right then, and your OS, modem and router are what?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.