ADSL (RJ11 - RJ11) CABLE

Old April 13th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark C

Default ADSL (RJ11 - RJ11) CABLE

I need to purchase a 15 metre ADSL RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable to connect my router
to the microfilter on my downstairs main telephone socket and wondered which
is the best quality cable to buy?

What's the difference between 2 Core and 4 core RJ11 cable?

Also, what is Belkin's High Speed ADSL cable like (double shielded, CAT5
with gold connectors and a reported throughput of 100MB per sec) and do they
do this in 15 metre lengths?

Many thanks

---

Old April 13th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:09:58 UTC, "Mark C"
wrote:

I need to purchase a 15 metre ADSL RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable to connect my router
to the microfilter on my downstairs main telephone socket and wondered which
is the best quality cable to buy?

I bought a telephone extension lead with two RJ11 adaptors for about a
fiver. So, 'best' in my case was also 'most suitable' although maybe not
'highest quality'. And mine is 15 metres in length, currently
(temporarily) strug across the ceiling of one room and under the carpet
of another. It works fine and I see no errors.

Bear in mind the several kilometres of cable between the wall socket and
the exchange. Some of that may be a lot worse, and it's certainly
longer.

What's the difference between 2 Core and 4 core RJ11 cable?

One has 2 cores and one has 4 cores...you only need two for the ADSL
because it's just a telephone line (without bell connection).

Also, what is Belkin's High Speed ADSL cable like (double shielded, CAT5
with gold connectors and a reported throughput of 100MB per sec)

Overpriced. Apart from anything else, does your ADSL run at 100MB/s? Or
even 100 Mb/s, which may well be what you meant...

Honestly, try out a bog standard cable before splashing out.
--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
Old April 13th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:09:58 +0000 (UTC), in uk.telecom.broadband
"Mark C" strung together this:

I need to purchase a 15 metre ADSL RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable to connect my router
to the microfilter on my downstairs main telephone socket and wondered which
is the best quality cable to buy?

Pretty much any cable will do the job, once the ADSL signal has
travelled through miles of BT's dodgy network the few metres across
your house doesn't need to be of astounding quality, just 'adequate'

What's the difference between 2 Core and 4 core RJ11 cable?

One's got 2 cores, the other 4. An ADSL modem only needs two wires,
the 4 core would be required for telephones as they need a third wire
for the ringing signal.

Also, what is Belkin's High Speed ADSL cable like (double shielded, CAT5
with gold connectors and a reported throughput of 100MB per sec) and do they
do this in 15 metre lengths?

Extortionate, excessive and not worth the money. ou will only be using
a small fraction of the cables capacity. You only need a standard
extension\replacemnt RJ11-RJ11cable for the ADSL connection.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 13th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Mark C wrote:

I need to purchase a 15 metre ADSL RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable to connect my router
to the microfilter on my downstairs main telephone socket and wondered which
is the best quality cable to buy?

What's the difference between 2 Core and 4 core RJ11 cable?

Also, what is Belkin's High Speed ADSL cable like (double shielded, CAT5
with gold connectors and a reported throughput of 100MB per sec) and do they
do this in 15 metre lengths?

Others have already offered answers to your query - so how about
supplier? Try http://www.homestead.co.uk/rj11w.htm. I only know of
them through their supply of cables for flashing the EN5861 router.
Supposedly good service all around.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old April 13th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rogers

The cable does not need to be anything special for adsl, I can make you up a
15m cable if you want. 7.50 for the cable plus 2.00 post and packing.
Payment by Paypal to

Regards
John Rogers
www.phonecat.co.uk

Old April 14th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
blah

Mark C wrote:
I need to purchase a 15 metre ADSL RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable to connect my
router to the microfilter on my downstairs main telephone socket and
wondered which is the best quality cable to buy?

What's the difference between 2 Core and 4 core RJ11 cable?

Also, what is Belkin's High Speed ADSL cable like (double shielded,
CAT5 with gold connectors and a reported throughput of 100MB per sec)
and do they do this in 15 metre lengths?

Tescos sell 10m and 15m rj11 extension cables for GPB5 and GBP7.50
respectively.