Netgear DM602: web server broken?

Old April 13th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

Default Netgear DM602: web server broken?

I've been trying to help my father-in-law set up his ADSL connection.
On my advice, he ditched the Speedtouch USB modem which was freezing
his PC, and bought an Ethernet NIC plus a Netgear DM602 router from
Dabs (so I feel kind of responsible). Everything seemed to be going
swimmingly until it came to configure the DM602. When we pointed a
browser at http://192.168.0.1, a page appeared which contained four
individual frames, all of which reported "Page Not Found". I checked
the HTML source of the page that was delivered by the DM602, and sure
enough it has framesets and calls for these four frames (with names
like "Menu" and "MainPage"), but they are clearly missing or in the
wrong place.

Clearly, without even being able to get into the first page it's
impossible to configure the router. Nor can I upload fresh formware,
since that requires using the router's web configuration. I've tried
the usual stuff of pressing the reset button three times. Netgear
support suggested holding down the reset button until the lights
flash, then power-cycling. We tried this and nothing changed. I know
that the ethernet connection is working OK, as the PC successfully got
an IP address from the DM602's DHCP server, and it can ping the router
(and in any case we do at least get the initial frameset page up).

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it likely to be a rogue sample or
batch with bad firmware? Is there any way to upload new firmware
without going via the web screens?
--
Clive Backham

Note: As a spam avoidance measure, the email address in the header
is just a free one and doesn't get checked very often. If you want to email
me, my real address can be found at: www [dot] delback [dot] co [dot] uk
Old April 13th 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

In article ,
says...
[...]

Do you have any sort of firewall between the PC and the DM602, if so try
disabling it. If using IE you could also try adding 192.168.0.1 into the
trusted sites.

HTH
Andrew