sending of email

Old April 13th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Default sending of email

Considering going broadband.

Currently I have a dial-up account with Claranet. One of
the good things about that is that we use the Claranet email address for all
personal email. But my wife also has a home-based business with her own
domain name. She connects via Claranet, and then uses her own email server
to send and receive business emails. Not all dial-up ISPs allow that. It's
something to do with allowing some port or other to be open (Port 25?). Does
anyone
know if Broadband providers will allow her to connect to her business server
and contnue as at present, or would the business need to change email
addresses (Claranet's broadband service is madly expensive)

Old April 13th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Considering going broadband.

Currently I have a dial-up account with Claranet. One of
the good things about that is that we use the Claranet email address for

all
personal email. But my wife also has a home-based business with her own
domain name. She connects via Claranet, and then uses her own email server
to send and receive business emails. Not all dial-up ISPs allow that. It's
something to do with allowing some port or other to be open (Port 25?).

Does
anyone
know if Broadband providers will allow her to connect to her business

server
and contnue as at present, or would the business need to change email
addresses (Claranet's broadband service is madly expensive)

Have you asked Claranet?

Old April 13th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Che?

Not sure what the point of your question is - no I havent asked them
because, as I intimated, their broadband service is very expensive.

Old April 13th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike H

Me wrote:
Considering going broadband.

Currently I have a dial-up account with Claranet. One of
the good things about that is that we use the Claranet email address for all
personal email.

I was in the same situation, was with Clara for dial up, gone Pipex for
broadband. Ask Clara about the 9.99 per year basic mail and news (text
only) account (it's hard to find on their increasingly business oriented
web site). That way you keep your email address, can send mail from
anywhere, via any connection, and can still use the (excellent) mail
filters.

But my wife also has a home-based business with her own
domain name. She connects via Claranet, and then uses her own email server
to send and receive business emails. Not all dial-up ISPs allow that. It's
something to do with allowing some port or other to be open (Port 25?). Does
anyone
know if Broadband providers will allow her to connect to her business server
and contnue as at present, or would the business need to change email
addresses (Claranet's broadband service is madly expensive)

Not sure whether the above addresses this issue as well. You can connect
to Clara's outgoing SMTP server via port 25 (as normal) or 2525 (which
is sometimes needed to get past over zealous network administrators !).
SMTP authentication is used to verify the sender.

Best thing is give em a ring. One thing their tech support is usually
pretty helpful.

HTH

--
Mike H
Old April 13th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McIntosh

"Me" wrote in message
Considering going broadband.

Currently I have a dial-up account with Claranet. One of
the good things about that is that we use the Claranet email address for

all
personal email. But my wife also has a home-based business with her own
domain name. She connects via Claranet, and then uses her own email server
to send and receive business emails. Not all dial-up ISPs allow that. It's
something to do with allowing some port or other to be open (Port 25?).

Does
anyone
know if Broadband providers will allow her to connect to her business

server
and contnue as at present, or would the business need to change email
addresses (Claranet's broadband service is madly expensive)

I have various mail accounts for a variety of purposes, including my own
domain, and I don't see a problem with what you're trying to do. If I've
picked you up correctly, I infer that your wife's business domain is not
hosted by Clara, but she can connect to her POP3 (incoming) and SMTP
(outgoing) mail services after getting her internet connection validated on
Clara. If this is the case then there's no reason why you can't continue to
do this. I'm presuming that as you're on dial-up you're not actually hosting
the domain and mail servers on your own PC.

However, I am a bit wary of whether you have accurately described your
scenario. Many small hosting packages (and I'm cheekily assuming your wife's
business isn't a huge one) don't really provide an SMTP service - they
expect you to use your ISPs mail server for outgoing mail, after all you can
set the e-mail address sent with a message to be anything you like. You
might get "sendmail" for use within CGI scripts etc., though. That said, you
still shouldn't have any problem - only if someone looks at the mail headers
they'll see the e-mail address as but server as relay.yyy.net
or similar.

The problem I think you're alluding to, is that most dial-up accounts won't
let you use the SMTP mail server unless you logged in via the ISPs own
portal (ie the client IP address has to be in a valid address range for the
server) - this is to help stop spamers stealing the use of mail servers.
For the same reason most "always-on" ISP accounts periodically check for
open mail relays (typically on port 25) amongst their users. There's usually
nothing to say you can't have a mail server on port 25, but it ought to be
"closed" ie needs a username/password. That's just good practice. You can
almost always get to your POP3 accounts on other services with no problem.

Ian.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old April 14th 04, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
0870 881 1554

I use oneandone to host my domains, and use pipex to connect to the net.

I am able to send receive email using my domain pop3 email, can not really
see a problem.

I have servers set as:-

Incomming: pop.oneandone.co.uk
Outgoing: auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk

and My server requires authentication - same as incomming mail

hope that helps.

Old April 15th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Thanks for all the responses guys - a lot of food for thought and a number
of alternative solutions are forming. Sorry if the question wasn't specific
enough - it's only when you start to ask, that you realise there's even more
that you didn't know you don't know!! If you know what I mean!! But your

Old May 2nd 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:52:35 +0100, guv wrote:

I note someone has said there may be a charge of 9.99 PA for this -
though I suspect a PAYG account would allow you to avoid that charge(?)

The 9.99 per year account is a mail and news account, which offers
text groups for news, and sending via Claranet's service (use port 25
or port 2525 if your ISP "traps" port 25 traffic).

In any case - if its your wifes domain mail you are concerned about,
why not just forward to your new providers supplied email address? Its
simple enough to do - as I assume you already do?

There's no need to forward it, and it can cause delays if the ISP is
having a bad day. The main question was to with sending mail via
the business server. It should be fine, but a small number of ISPs
(eg Freeserve) do block port 25 from being sent out. I guess one
needs to ask the chosen ISP, and also take note of any ISPs that
restrict use for residential accounts and would be less suitable for
the intended use. Eclipse is one of the ISPs which has no apparent
restrictions and has in the past indicated it is "teleworker friendly"