newsgroups?

Old April 13th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Default newsgroups?

Not sure if I'm picking up an issue (from lurking) that there is an issue to
do with newsgroups once you go broadband. What's the score hear? Do
broadband providers give free access like dialup ISPs do? Or is there an
extra fee - or what?

Old April 13th 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Me wrote:
Not sure if I'm picking up an issue (from lurking) that there is an issue to
do with newsgroups once you go broadband. What's the score hear? Do
broadband providers give free access like dialup ISPs do? Or is there an
extra fee - or what?

Depends really. Some ISPs provide usenet servers - some dont.
Typically, I think you'll be looking at BTBroadband and Bulldog as two
of the few that have offerings that provide no access to their usenet
servers (although access is available to other 3rd party ones - or due
to insufficient network boundaries, access can be achieved anyway).

Do you have an ISP in mind ?

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old April 13th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DC.

Me wrote:
Not sure if I'm picking up an issue (from lurking) that there is an
issue to do with newsgroups once you go broadband. What's the score
hear? Do broadband providers give free access like dialup ISPs do? Or
is there an extra fee - or what?

What on earth are you talking about?

Old April 13th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

try reading the question? simple enough

Old April 13th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Foster

"Me" wrote in message
Not sure if I'm picking up an issue (from lurking) that there is an issue

do with newsgroups once you go broadband. What's the score hear? Do
broadband providers give free access like dialup ISPs do? Or is there an
extra fee - or what?

Most ISPs are crap for binary NGs - not much of an issue without broadband.
For text only newsgroups I use the news.individual.net anyway.

Old April 14th 04, 02:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry L

"Me" wrote in message
Not sure if I'm picking up an issue (from lurking) that there is an issue

do with newsgroups once you go broadband. What's the score hear? Do
broadband providers give free access like dialup ISPs do? Or is there an
extra fee - or what?

Your post makes no sense and has no explanation of what you are *getting at*
exactly.

Some ISP's offer newsgroups and others do not. If they don't then there are
plenty of free news servers that can be used instead.

The connection speed is not relevant. Be it broadband or dial up, it makes
no difference to whether you get newsgroups or not.

Old April 14th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Thanks Guv - I only ever use text newsgroups, so didn't think to clarify
that.

Which free server do you use?

Old April 14th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Terry L
writes

"Me" wrote in message
Not sure if I'm picking up an issue (from lurking) that there is an issue

do with newsgroups once you go broadband. What's the score hear? Do
broadband providers give free access like dialup ISPs do? Or is there an
extra fee - or what?

Your post makes no sense and has no explanation of what you are *getting at*
exactly.

It makes perfect sense to me. He/she is only asking a question.

Some ISP's offer newsgroups and others do not. If they don't then there are
plenty of free news servers that can be used instead.

Yes, but once migrated to broadband, it would appear, at least from the
volume of news feed complaints in here, that the service offered by some
ISPs is not satisfactory. The shortfalls in the service offered by some
ISPs doesn't become apparent until the benefits offered by broadband are
explored.

The connection speed is not relevant. Be it broadband or dial up, it makes
no difference to whether you get newsgroups or not.

Your opinion is clearly not shared by all. It isn't accurate either.
--
Pete Devlin
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Old April 14th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian & Hilda Dedic

guv wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:00:49 +0100, "Me" wrote:

Thanks Guv - I only ever use text newsgroups, so didn't think to clarify
that.

Which free server do you use?

http://news.individual.net/

Has most text groups and you can ask to add. Good retetion and
completed threads which is also important. It is a German uni site but
is also in English. Highly recomended - and used by many people.

I also use -- and can recommend -- this for accessing newsgroups through
your mail/news reader. An alternative which is especially useful for
finding older articles (having effectively infinite retention) is the
Google usenet archive at http://www.google.com/grphp.

Ian

--
"From:" is antispammed, please make sure you use "Reply-To:"
Old April 14th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

guv wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:00:49 +0100, "Me" wrote:

Thanks Guv - I only ever use text newsgroups, so didn't think to
clarify that.

Which free server do you use?

http://news.individual.net/

Has most text groups and you can ask to add. Good retetion and
completed threads which is also important. It is a German uni site but
is also in English. Highly recomended - and used by many people.

Can I access this site using Mozilla Firefox? It's not listed, so does
anyone have information?

Thanks,

CJ