Internet Access in Hotels

Old April 14th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mike

Default Internet Access in Hotels

This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

I have broadband at home, but is broadband an option while on the move?

Old April 14th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
mike wrote:
This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

Er - the same way you do in hotels all over the place..

I was in a hotel in London a few weeks ago... (Novotel next to Excel)
I plugged the supplied Ethernet cable into the back of my laptop and I
was connected. (Sure, they billed me what I felt was a bit too much,
but it was added to my room bill and I wasn't paying for it, so ...)

I was at a meeting in a hotel in Swinedon a while back and that hotel was
WiFi enabled throughout. (BT OpenZone I think, I didn't actually use it,
just checked to see if I had a signal)

I don't think theres any great magic or issues in these enlightened days...

Gordon
Old April 14th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

In message , mike
writes
This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

Do you mean with your own laptop, or do you want a 'public' PC in the
hotel, as in an Internet Cafe?

Most will have something, but if it's important ask before you book.
Some have no more than a telephone socket into which you plug your own
laptop modem, some have ethernet and provide a drop line to plug into
your network card, some will have a wireless network, some will loan kit
like a PCMCIA wireless or network card (some wont), some will charge for
ethernet or wireless access (some wont), some will have a PC or two in
cubicles for guests to use.
--
Malcolm

Old April 14th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
aj

This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

If you are expecting any free broadband via wireless or ethernet as seen in
the states you can pretty much forget it.
The handful that do offer broadband usually charge relatively hefty charges
for it.
I use hotels all over the UK and rarely see it as an option - the one area
you may get it more is in London (which is one of the few areas I do not
stay often.) but you can bet they will be charging for it.

Old April 14th 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Gradwell

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:25:16 +0100, "aj" wrote:

This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

If you are expecting any free broadband via wireless or ethernet as seen in
the states you can pretty much forget it.
The handful that do offer broadband usually charge relatively hefty charges
for it.
I use hotels all over the UK and rarely see it as an option - the one area
you may get it more is in London (which is one of the few areas I do not
stay often.) but you can bet they will be charging for it.

www.bonnington.com is excellent for internet access if you are in
london.

peter

-- engineering & hosting services for email, web and usenet --
Old April 14th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The Brittania Airport hotel in Manchester, UK, has wireless broadband
and in December, lent me a wireless card since my inbuilt card
wouldn't connect - there was no charge, but I did have to move rooms
twice until I got one in range of the access point.

Where are you planning to stay?

Old April 14th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"mike" wrote in message
This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

Depends on the Hotel. Usually at great expense.

I have broadband at home, but is broadband an option while on the move?

Its been a while, but more seem to have this as an offer. Last time I stayed
at the Majesky in Reading they had broadband at 12.00 per day. Several also
seem to be becoming wireless enabled.
http://www.btopenzone.com/locations/index.jsp has info.Again it seems pretty
pricey at around 15/day.

However I have frequently had to fall back to dialup connection. Usually
slow, usually expensive. Some of the real cheap places have either no phones
or hard wired ones so you have to use the mobile. O.K. for a quick mail
check but too expensive for anything else....

Old April 15th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:39:28 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "mike"
strung together this:

This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

I have a GPRS enabled mobile for out and about use. Quicker than
dialup and a lot cheaper than internet access at hotel prices.

I have broadband at home, but is broadband an option while on the move?

Only if the hotel you're at has it, and distributes it to its guests.
Your home BB account is tied to your home phone line.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old April 15th 04, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

Lurch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:39:28 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "mike"
strung together this:

This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

I have a GPRS enabled mobile for out and about use. Quicker than
dialup and a lot cheaper than internet access at hotel prices.

I have broadband at home, but is broadband an option while on the move?

Only if the hotel you're at has it, and distributes it to its guests.
Your home BB account is tied to your home phone line.

How is GPRS quicker than dial-up or cheaper than hotel internet?

I thought GPRS was 43.2kbps, and it's not cheap what O2 charge!!!

--
eusty
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net

(`._. All Outgoing Mail Scanned Virus Free ._.)
Old April 15th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"eusty" wrote in message
Lurch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:39:28 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "mike"
strung together this:

This is gonna sound super newbie, but how does one go about accessing

the
net while staying in a hotel room in England?

I have a GPRS enabled mobile for out and about use. Quicker than
dialup and a lot cheaper than internet access at hotel prices.

I have broadband at home, but is broadband an option while on the move?

Only if the hotel you're at has it, and distributes it to its guests.
Your home BB account is tied to your home phone line.

How is GPRS quicker than dial-up or cheaper than hotel internet?

I thought GPRS was 43.2kbps, and it's not cheap what O2 charge!!!

I usually only get 32K or even 28.8 in many hotels. 43 sounds quicker.
As for "What O2 Charge" then it depends on the tarrif. Check out the
business tarrifs.
It appears that as usual "normal people" get ripped off.....