APOP, broadband and dialup

Old April 14th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

Default APOP, broadband and dialup

I have a BB connection with Zen and when travelling the backup dialup
allows me to get an Internet connection, however from hotels/abroad this
tends to be an expensive option. Quite often I can get a network
connection at my client's or at the hotel but prefer not to use this as
Zen only supports POP and so all my account details are sent in the
clear.

Are there any BB suppliers that offer a more secure method of email
collection, maybe APOP, with a backup dialup, or any other suggestions
for a solution?

I can set up a VPN back to my home router so is it possible to set up
Windows routing so that once the VPN is established selected IP traffic
only routes through the VPN and isn't visible over the direct IP
connection?

MTIA, if replying by email please use address in sig

--
Bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old April 15th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hill

I have a BB connection with Zen and when travelling the backup dialup
allows me to get an Internet connection, however from hotels/abroad this
tends to be an expensive option. Quite often I can get a network
connection at my client's or at the hotel but prefer not to use this as
Zen only supports POP and so all my account details are sent in the
clear.

Our webmail is https if that's any use (I know, webmail is ass to use
though).

James
Old April 15th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , James Hill
writes
I have a BB connection with Zen and when travelling the backup dialup
allows me to get an Internet connection, however from hotels/abroad this
tends to be an expensive option. Quite often I can get a network
connection at my client's or at the hotel but prefer not to use this as
Zen only supports POP and so all my account details are sent in the
clear.

Our webmail is https if that's any use (I know, webmail is ass to use
though).

James, thanks for the reply, Zen's webmail is also https, but as you say
(well imply anyhow) webmail is no substitute for the real thing.

Surely some UK BB supplier must do something more secure than POP.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old April 16th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

bof wrote:

I have a BB connection with Zen and when travelling the backup dialup
allows me to get an Internet connection, however from hotels/abroad this
tends to be an expensive option. Quite often I can get a network
connection at my client's or at the hotel but prefer not to use this as
Zen only supports POP and so all my account details are sent in the clear.

Are there any BB suppliers that offer a more secure method of email
collection, maybe APOP, with a backup dialup, or any other suggestions
for a solution?

I can set up a VPN back to my home router so is it possible to set up
Windows routing so that once the VPN is established selected IP traffic
only routes through the VPN and isn't visible over the direct IP
connection?

MTIA, if replying by email please use address in sig

Unlikely as it would be difficult to set up, admin and support.

You could always rent your own host and do it yourself!

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom