Which ISP is best for Broadband?

Old April 14th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Champagne Charlie

Default Which ISP is best for Broadband?

I'm with Blueyonder (Telewest) and on a 24/7 DialUp, but want to move over
to broadband. The problem for me is that I don't know too much about what's
on offer, nor for that matter what it is that they ARE actually offering
after I've read some of their adverts on their respective websites! I don't
need a really fast connection, but it must be always on, and reliable. I am
also out of work at the minute, so want to keep the price as low as pos too.
Anyone got any suggestions for me? I have a Telewest (Non-BT) telephone line
which my wife is reluctant to give up as all her friends and family are with
Telewest so here calls are cheaper. This is a major 'headache' for me. If
anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, will you?
Thanks!
C.C.

P.S.
The main reason I don't want to use Blueyonder's broadband package is that
they send one of their so-called engineers out to install the modem! After
my dealings with them in the past, there is no way I would let one of those
morons inside or near my PC! I would prefer to hook up with an ISP who will
either give me a modem to install myself, or let me buy my own!

;o)

Old April 14th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Henderson

"Champagne Charlie" wrote in
message ...
[...]

here is one to consider this is the lowest price I have seen.
http://www.metronet.co.uk/

I have cancelled my Blueyonder Broadband and plan to go with either Metronet
or Pipex I think.

Old April 14th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Champagne Charlie wrote:
P.S.
The main reason I don't want to use Blueyonder's broadband package is that
they send one of their so-called engineers out to install the modem! After
my dealings with them in the past, there is no way I would let one of those
morons inside or near my PC! I would prefer to hook up with an ISP who will
either give me a modem to install myself, or let me buy my own!

The modem doesn't fit inside your PC.

It's a separate box which is connected to the co-ax cable (assuming BY
in your area supports it in the first place) You then get an Ethernet
connection, so all you then need is an Ethernet card in your PC (or a
router) and off you go. BY will need to know the MAC address of your
PC or router, but thats all - they don't need to install any software
if you don't want them to, although they will only actively support a
small number of systems.

I got installed directly onto Linux box when I was using their service
and was generally quite happy with it. I was quite surprised at the pair
who came to do the install, one did the mechanical bits of terminating
the co-ax and splitting it (I already had cable TV) and did a good job
of re-routing the existing cable to where I wanted it, the other was
the PC expert. They wern't morons by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't use it now because I moved outside their coverage area.

Gordon

Old April 15th 04, 05:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

P.S.
The main reason I don't want to use Blueyonder's broadband package is that
they send one of their so-called engineers out to install the modem! After
my dealings with them in the past, there is no way I would let one of
those morons inside or near my PC! I would prefer to hook up with an ISP
who will either give me a modem to install myself, or let me buy my own!

;o)

www.adslguide.org

Dave

Old April 15th 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Champagne Charlie" wrote in
message ...
Anyone got any suggestions for me? I have a Telewest (Non-BT) telephone

line
which my wife is reluctant to give up as all her friends and family are

with
Telewest so here calls are cheaper. This is a major 'headache' for me. If
anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, will you?

If you have a Telewest line, Blueyonder is your only option for Broadband.

For anything else (i.e. ADSL) , you will need a BT line...

Regards
Sunil

Old April 15th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Champagne Charlie

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

P.S.
The main reason I don't want to use Blueyonder's broadband package is

that
they send one of their so-called engineers out to install the modem!

After
my dealings with them in the past, there is no way I would let one of
those morons inside or near my PC! I would prefer to hook up with an ISP
who will either give me a modem to install myself, or let me buy my own!

;o)

www.adslguide.org

Dave

Did I say I used Windows?..........
Actually, you don't need ms windows to install a modem, my question was
purely internet-related.
I ran a 14.4Kbps modem on my old Amiga, using Amiga-Dos only.
As for the morons from BY, they do a week's course in installation of modems
and that's that.
I have more experience of modems than they have, but I don't honour myself
with the title of 'engineer'.
For engineer status you require a minimum of HNC/HND and preferably a
degree.
BTW, my last Sony 28" widescreen was completely annhialated by those BY
'engineers and it was only a month old!
They were only installing Digital TV and managed to blow up my telly in the
process.
You think I want to be bitten by the same dog twice?
Not a chance.
C.C.

P.S. I'll leave ms windows to 'geniuses' like yourself.

Old April 16th 04, 05:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Did I say I used Windows?..........

P.S. I'll leave ms windows to 'geniuses' like yourself.

If you looked at the delimiter, you would see that the line you seem to be
upset about is not aimed at you personaly, its a signature line. Its aimed
at all those that bleat on about windows being so user friendly. The
advice I gave you is OS independant, wwww,adslguide.org. Stop getting so
uptight and get a life.

Dave

Old April 16th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Champagne Charlie

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news

Did I say I used Windows?..........

P.S. I'll leave ms windows to 'geniuses' like yourself.

If you looked at the delimiter, you would see that the line you seem to be
upset about is not aimed at you personaly, its a signature line. Its aimed
at all those that bleat on about windows being so user friendly. The
advice I gave you is OS independant, wwww,adslguide.org. Stop getting so
uptight and get a life.

Dave

Exactly my point! It's these 'signatures' which are so childish. What's the
point in using them if you don't expect folks to reply to them? I
know....'half the world and their bro is doing it, it's fashionable, but
it's pretty much for the kids imho. I did check out the link you posted, so
thanks for that. Yeah, I'll get a life, but first I need to get a job!
Xcuse the 'uptight' bit.
Cheers.
C.C.

Old April 17th 04, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Exactly my point! It's these 'signatures' which are so childish. What's
the point in using them if you don't expect folks to reply to them? I
know....'half the world and their bro is doing it, it's fashionable, but
it's pretty much for the kids imho. I did check out the link you posted,
so thanks for that. Yeah, I'll get a life, but first I need to get a job!
Xcuse the 'uptight' bit.
Cheers.
C.C.

Ok, point taken. I suppose I have to agree about the sig. Its just I see
so much bull*** about windows being so easy to use. If this is so, why in
the UK at least do we have so many courses to teach people how to use
windows ?. I wish someone would point them in the direction of the Mac if
they want ease of use. No, I don't use mac. I am Linux guy for 10 years.

Anyway thanks for being good spirited about it.
Oh and good luck with job hunting, I know how hard that can be.

Dave

--
Linux, breaking the pain of Windows