work at the exchange?

Old April 15th 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

Default work at the exchange?

Sorry wasn't sure whether this was Broadband or Telecom related so posted to
both.
My exchange is due to be enabled on 28th of this month.
My dial up with freeserve has been terrible the last couple of nights. Going
through spells of kicking me off every couple of minutes. I then tried
connecting with UK2 and it was the same. So I put it down to the line.

Also on our other phone line the caller keeps going quiet for a few seconds
then back to normal and then quiet and so on.

Could this be work that is going on at the exchange?

Or, I installed a Vigor router last night and have it plugged in to the line
we use for voice. The router also has a couple of PC's networked through it
and because broadband isn't enabled yet I have ICS running. Could this be
causing the voice problems.

The line for the router has been hard wired into the phone extension that
the phone was on when the caller was going faint and loud. Am I right in
thinking I don't need a filter until ADSL actually goes live.

Thanks for any input

Steven.

Old April 15th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ric

Am I right in
thinking I don't need a filter until ADSL actually goes live.

Can people not work things out for themselves through trial and error?
Surely if you unplugged the router you would be able to tell if it was the
problem or not. Why don't you go away and try it and then come back and
answer your own question?

Old April 15th 04, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Ric" wrote in message
.. .
Am I right in
thinking I don't need a filter until ADSL actually goes live.

Can people not work things out for themselves through trial and error?
Surely if you unplugged the router you would be able to tell if it was the
problem or not. Why don't you go away and try it and then come back and
answer your own question?

It was a long day and I was knackered. It didn't seem a daft question at the
time. But now I tend to agree with you. Turns out the phone extension has a
duff connector on it that appeared at the same time the router when in!!

Doesn't answer my other query re getting kicked off with different ISP's. Is
it possible that the exchange is being worked on 2 weeks before the enabling
date?

cheers

Steven.

Old April 15th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
"Ric" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

There could be a fault on the line which affects your internet but not the
voice. I have had this before and they fixed the problem. Call 151 and
report a fault. If they find no fault, you can start to look elsewhere for
a resolve.
Make sure also you have not got an idle timeout set on your connection.
Assuming you use ie6, go to tools, internet options, click the connections
tab, highlight your connection and go to settings, then click on advanced.
Make sure there is not a tick in "disconnect when idle".
The other thing to check is to make sure you are not hanging up after
checking for email. Assuming you use oe6, go to tools, options, click on
the connections tab, and make sure there is not a tick in "hang up after
send and receive mail".
I cannot advise on these settings if you are using any other browser or
email client.

Old April 16th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

[...]

Hi Beck thanks for your suggestions. I don't have any "disconnect when idle"
boxes ticked. Or hang up after checking email. I used to always think it was
just Freeserve playing up but I have since tried 2 other ISP's now when it
is bad on Freeserve and they are just the same.
The funny thing is I sometimes but not always get a window popping up just
before I get kicked off saying "I have an incoming call but my ISP doesn't
support this, what do I want to do? hang up or ignore?" 5 times out of 10
I get disconnected regardless of what option I choose or even if I just
ignore it. I have tried to reproduce this by phoning the line while on the
net but nothing happens, no window!! All very strange

I'm just hoping when BB gets enabled soon on my other line, all will be
solved.

cheers

Steven.

Old April 16th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

[...]

aha! Thats it then. You have call waiting enabled. If an incoming call
comes in then you will be disconnected. It is advisable to disable call
waiting on your line.

Old April 16th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

[...]

I don't. If I did then surely the symptoms would be replicated when I phoned
the number while on the net. Which they weren't.
Tonight I had about 30minutes of constantly being kicked off. I would dial
in, have my username password verified and then if I click on a link or try
and check for mail, there would be no activity on the status monitor then I
would be disconnected. Tried 2 other ISPS and had the exact same symptoms.

I used to think it was just a dodgy modem I had been connected to on
Freeserve but since trying the other ISP's that rules that out.

Steven.

Old April 17th 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

[...]

You dont have call waiting? How comes you are getting the dialogue pop up
about incoming call then? I wonder if you have a V92 modem which has
enabled call waiting for you in error. Its not that call waiting is enabled
on the line, but the modem thinks it is. I have seen this happen before on
several occasions.
Your symptoms might be from 2 different problems - an invisible call
waiting, and a minor fault on the line.

Old April 17th 04, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
The funny thing is I sometimes but not always get a window popping up just
before I get kicked off saying "I have an incoming call but my ISP doesn't
support this, what do I want to do? hang up or ignore?" 5 times out of

10
I get disconnected regardless of what option I choose or even if I just
ignore it. I have tried to reproduce this by phoning the line while on

the
net but nothing happens, no window!! All very strange

That sounds like a local problem with your modems drivers - if you goggle
that error message, its common with v.92 modems - I can't remember the exact
cause but I am sure you will either find it or your line will be ADSL
enabled soon

Regards
Sunil

Old April 17th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
The funny thing is I sometimes but not always get a window popping up

just
before I get kicked off saying "I have an incoming call but my ISP

doesn't
support this, what do I want to do? hang up or ignore?" 5 times out of

10
I get disconnected regardless of what option I choose or even if I just
ignore it. I have tried to reproduce this by phoning the line while on

the
net but nothing happens, no window!! All very strange

That sounds like a local problem with your modems drivers - if you goggle
that error message, its common with v.92 modems - I can't remember the

exact
cause but I am sure you will either find it or your line will be ADSL
enabled soon

It turns out my modem drivers were out of date right enough so I have now
updated them. Unfortunately the problem is still the same. Strange thing is
it seems to be around 10:30 every night that I get kicked off constantly and
this lasts for 20 to 30 mins!!

The sooner ADSL is here the better.