ISP which

Old April 15th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris S

Default ISP which

Hi,

I want to go on ADSL but I am not sure which ISP is the best.

I want BB at 512k which will allow P2P and have binary newsgroups for 25 in
vat.

Or BB 512k which allows P2P for a lower price but buying access to binary
newsgroups.

Please give us feedback on your experiences on which ISP is good.

Old April 15th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgoth

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to go on ADSL but I am not sure which ISP is the best.

I want BB at 512k which will allow P2P and have binary newsgroups for 25

in
vat.

Or BB 512k which allows P2P for a lower price but buying access to binary
newsgroups.

Please give us feedback on your experiences on which ISP is good.

==========

The p2p is not going to be your main problem as most do not cap the amount
you can download but ones which include binary news access is limited and if
it waa me I would go for nildram as they have a speed capped giganews feed,
you wont be able to max out your connection but you will benifit from the
massive retention and stability that giganews offer, the speed cap is 2
threads of 16kb.

Most other adsl providers do not offer outsourced feeds but have there own
news feed which is often just a single machine job which does not cope well.

Old April 15th 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

Chris S wrote:
Hi,

I want to go on ADSL but I am not sure which ISP is the best.

I want BB at 512k which will allow P2P and have binary newsgroups for 25 in
vat.

Or BB 512k which allows P2P for a lower price but buying access to binary
newsgroups.

Please give us feedback on your experiences on which ISP is good.

I got broadband after 2 years of trying & I am with PlusNet who seem to be
excellent. They offer very good facilities as part of their package and are
cheaper than your indicated price.

They got me up and running within a week. Their various offerings are
somewhat confusing but I went with the home surf at 21.99 pm which does
allow p2p and does have binary newsgroups (though I beleive, in common with
most ISPs the binary groups have a fast turnover of articles so it can be
difficult to get all of the elements - I think I saw that they were trying
to improve this). I got my own hardware as their offerings seem rather
expensive (not really surprising as they will have to add their own
overheads). I went for a top of range solution using a Draytek Vigor 2600G
wireless router but there are plenty of cheaper options. Don't stint on a
decent filter though, I got a BT approved one, lesser filters can cause
problems especially if you have caller-id, DECT, etc.

If you do decide to go with them, please use my referal id "worship".

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom