Advice req re cable lengths

Old April 15th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brian j

Default Advice req re cable lengths

Please can anyone advise ...
I want to move my computer to a different room. It is attached to an NTL
wall box by a coax cable (supplied by NTL) approx ten feet long.
I made up a new extention (75 feet long) but this doesn't work!
The cable is low loss and tests OK for resistance so there are no breaks.
Is there a maximum length for the coax extension cable?
Can this be extended by using a TV signal booster?

Brian

Old April 16th 04, 01:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

brian j wrote:
Please can anyone advise ...
I want to move my computer to a different room. It is attached to
an NTL wall box by a coax cable (supplied by NTL) approx ten feet
long.
I made up a new extention (75 feet long) but this doesn't work!
The cable is low loss and tests OK for resistance so there are no
breaks. Is there a maximum length for the coax extension cable?
Can this be extended by using a TV signal booster?

Brian

The important thing is what type of cable did you use as cheapo television
coax will not work, you will need to use twin screen low loss sat coax
(sorry can't help with the numbers). Are the plugs on properly (there
shouldn't be any contact between the screens & the core)..

As for using a booster, simple answer...._NO_

Your problem will be normally be either down to shoddy cable or bad
workmanship

Old April 16th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
brian j wrote:
Are the plugs on properly

Solder the centre pin, or use a screw connection - push-on will not be good
enough.
Chris