Addon router

Old April 15th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

Default Addon router

I have just acquired an Addon ADSL router (Novatech 'own brand'). It works
fine, except that it opens some ports (23, 80, 254, 255) that I am unable
to close. And it responds to Pings, and I can't stop it.

Anybody out there got solutions?

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
Old April 16th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:31:57 +0000, Joe Soap wrote:

I have just acquired an Addon ADSL router (Novatech 'own brand'). It works
fine, except that it opens some ports (23, 80, 254, 255) that I am unable
to close. And it responds to Pings, and I can't stop it.

Anybody out there got solutions?

It does look alike my ebuyer (no-brand) ADSL router .. and uses ALCATEL
chip I presume. What firmware version do you have there? BTW, how did you
test it? I've tried few online port scanners and they're unaccessable (not
open) from outside .. but I can do ping from internal network for sure.

Old April 16th 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

in :

"Joe Soap" wrote in message
. 1.4...
I have just acquired an Addon ADSL router (Novatech 'own brand'). It
works fine, except that it opens some ports (23, 80, 254, 255) that I
am unable to close. And it responds to Pings, and I can't stop it.

Anybody out there got solutions?

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years, then throw away a week
before you need it.

I don't know your particular router but you ought to be able to close
down the ports. Look for "Advanced Settings" or "Miscellaneous
Settings" options in your config menu. You should find something to
set DMZ (demilitarized zone): set this to an IP address within your
local subnet that your router will never use (my router has default IP
10.0.0.2 on the LAN side and DHCP is set to allocate only IPs in the
10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.15 so I can set DMZ to 10.0.0.233, for instance).
Next, look for "Virtual Servers" and create new virtual server for
each of the ports you're worried about (typically this is 21, 23, 80,
254 and 255) setting the associated IP address to the same IP as the
DMZ. This way, all external accesses to these ports will go to a
non-existant IP and will get no response (ie stealth). You'll still
respond to pings, though, unless your router has a firewall which can
be enabled to drop them.

Yup, setting up a DMZ has made all ports non-existent. AND it has killed
PING responses.

Thanks.

Old April 16th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

news
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:31:57 +0000, Joe Soap wrote:

I have just acquired an Addon ADSL router (Novatech 'own brand'). It
works fine, except that it opens some ports (23, 80, 254, 255) that I
am unable to close. And it responds to Pings, and I can't stop it.

Anybody out there got solutions?

It does look alike my ebuyer (no-brand) ADSL router .. and uses
ALCATEL chip I presume. What firmware version do you have there? BTW,
how did you test it? I've tried few online port scanners and they're
unaccessable (not open) from outside .. but I can do ping from
internal network for sure.

Problem fixed, see response above. I use Steve Gibson's 'Shields Up'
tester, at grc.com.