Help with wireless setup on NTL

Old April 16th 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lltaylor

Default Help with wireless setup on NTL

Hello All,

I have just bought a wireless router and wireless pc card.
I am trying to connect this up to my ntl broadband via the set top
box.

I have succesfully connected the PC to the router and
am able to connect to the setup screen etc.

However when I plug the network cable into the router - I am unable
to connect to the internet.

I would be very greatful if someone could give me a few pointers of
what i need to do to get connected.

Is the reason I can't connect to the internet because IP address
assigned by ntl differs from that assigned by the router??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Lloyd
Old April 16th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

lltaylor wrote:
Hello All,

I have just bought a wireless router and wireless pc card.
I am trying to connect this up to my ntl broadband via the set top
box.

I have succesfully connected the PC to the router and
am able to connect to the setup screen etc.

However when I plug the network cable into the router - I am unable
to connect to the internet.

I would be very greatful if someone could give me a few pointers of
what i need to do to get connected.

Is the reason I can't connect to the internet because IP address
assigned by ntl differs from that assigned by the router??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Lloyd

How many set top boxes do you have? Just the one?

Old April 16th 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

lltaylor wrote:

: Is the reason I can't connect to the internet because IP address
: assigned by ntl differs from that assigned by the router??

It is perhaps more likely that the hardware MAC address of the router isn't
registered with ntl. ntl differ around the country a bit but a friend in
Manchester had to use the "fake the MAC address" option on his router
to make it match what it used to be (on the Ethernet card in his PC when
he directly connected to ntl).
Old April 16th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
shope

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
lltaylor wrote:

: Is the reason I can't connect to the internet because IP address
: assigned by ntl differs from that assigned by the router??

NTL use DHCP address assignment - you need to set your router to request an
address dynamically.

It is perhaps more likely that the hardware MAC address of the router

isn't
registered with ntl. ntl differ around the country a bit but a friend in
Manchester had to use the "fake the MAC address" option on his router
to make it match what it used to be (on the Ethernet card in his PC when
he directly connected to ntl).

i have this (in manchester as well) - no need to spoof the MAC

what you do need to do is power cycle the set top box and the router.

lotsof help on cable modems, set top boxes etc.
http://www.chetnet.co.uk

--
Regards

Old April 16th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJ

lltaylor wrote:

Is the reason I can't connect to the internet because IP address
assigned by ntl differs from that assigned by the router??

NTL use DHCP address assignment - you need to set your router to
request an address dynamically.

It is perhaps more likely that the hardware MAC address of the
router isn't registered with ntl. ntl differ around the country a
bit but a friend in Manchester had to use the "fake the MAC address"
option on his router
to make it match what it used to be (on the Ethernet card in his PC
when he directly connected to ntl).

i have this (in manchester as well) - no need to spoof the MAC

what you do need to do is power cycle the set top box and the router.

lotsof help on cable modems, set top boxes etc.
http://www.chetnet.co.uk

I asked if you had more than one set top box, since I had a hell of a
struggle when the DSL enabled box had been put in the wrong room - two
boxes, and I was trying to log on with the wrong one. Very
embarrasing.as it was for clients. A common NTL problem, apparently.

Do not make the mistake (as I did) of thinking that the red light 2nd
down on the STB is a DSL one - it indicates interactive service is
available and will be present even on a non DSL modem configured STB.

Good luck,

CJ

Old April 18th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lltaylor

Thanks Everyone.

I now have my wireless network up and running.
After your advice it was all very simple really.

I powered all the kit up in the correct sequence, clicked the renew
button the router config console, and that did it.

Thanks again.
Lloyd