Dial Up

Old April 18th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Dial Up

This is the wrong group to ask this question, but I don't subscribe to
any other news groups so would appreciate a response as someone out
there probably knows the answer.

On a NTL telephone service do you have to use NTL as your ISP or can
you you use another provider - I am talking about bog standard dial up
service here, not Broadband.

Thanks a lot for any replies.

David Bradley
Old April 18th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Edmondson

"David Bradley" wrote in message
This is the wrong group to ask this question, but I don't subscribe to
any other news groups so would appreciate a response as someone out
there probably knows the answer.

On a NTL telephone service do you have to use NTL as your ISP or can
you you use another provider - I am talking about bog standard dial up
service here, not Broadband.

Thanks a lot for any replies.

David Bradley

Hi David,

When I lived at home with my folks, we had an NTL telephone line but used a
different internet service provider. I do not remember the exact company,
but I do remember it was not NTL World.

Best wishes

Gareth Edmondson

Old April 18th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

On a NTL telephone service do you have to use NTL as your ISP or can
you you use another provider - I am talking about bog standard dial up
service here, not Broadband.

You may not be able to go for the common unmetered package that relies on
a BT line, but I believe Onetel do a package you can use from any phone
provider.

Google for "alt.internet.providers.uk ISP with 0800 (not FRIACO) access"
for a recent thread

Old April 18th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
On a NTL telephone service do you have to use NTL as your ISP or can
you you use another provider - I am talking about bog standard dial up
service here, not Broadband.

If it is just a pay as you go service you are looking for then you should be
able to use any of them as they use "0845" numbers. Or at least the 5 I have
as back up all use "0845"

Old April 19th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Monro

David Bradley wrote:

This is the wrong group to ask this question, but I don't subscribe to
any other news groups so would appreciate a response as someone out
there probably knows the answer.

On a NTL telephone service do you have to use NTL as your ISP or can
you you use another provider - I am talking about bog standard dial up
service here, not Broadband.

You can use any ISP you can dial in to.

However, most unlimited access for fixed monthly fee ISPs use special
numbers starting 0808 99, which cannot be dialed from NTL cable lines.

However, if you aren't expecting to use it a lot, an 0845 dialup ISP
may be what you need - I've recently used ClaraNet from an NTL line
(http://www.uk.clara.net/homeaccess/) - the Free trial account can be
set up instantly on line.

If you think you might have mostly daytime use, the OneTel 1.5p/min
account might suit you better: http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php/1pamin
I've used this from an NTL line as well. It uses an 0808 freephone
number, and you are billed by OneTel by Direct Debit or Credit Card.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK 90% of everything is crud - T. Sturgeon
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) GPG key 68F8 6270 available from