London Hotels w/internet access

Old May 5th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mike

Default London Hotels w/internet access

Can anyone recommend some nice central london hotels that have internet
access in rooms? Searching for hotels on the net isn't much fun I'm finding
out :/

I wanna be as close to Tottenham Court Rd as possible.

cheers

Old May 5th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Apparently the thistle at Charring Cross has some access, but you need
a PC. The Chesterfield in Mayfair used to have some kind of cut down PC's
that did internet access. Not stayed there for many years though

Old May 5th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

mike wrote:

Can anyone recommend some nice central london hotels that have internet
access in rooms? Searching for hotels on the net isn't much fun I'm finding
out :/

I wanna be as close to Tottenham Court Rd as possible.

cheers

Marriott Marble Arch has wifi available.

L3K
Old May 5th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

mike wrote:

Can anyone recommend some nice central london hotels that have internet
access in rooms? Searching for hotels on the net isn't much fun I'm finding
out :/

I wanna be as close to Tottenham Court Rd as possible.

cheers

This may help too:

http://www.hotspotted.com/directory/

L3K
Old May 6th 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Reid

On Wed, 05 May 2004 21:22:03 +0100, Linker3000
wrote:

mike wrote:

Can anyone recommend some nice central london hotels that have internet
access in rooms? Searching for hotels on the net isn't much fun I'm finding
out :/

I wanna be as close to Tottenham Court Rd as possible.

cheers

This may help too:

http://www.hotspotted.com/directory/

L3K

Most reasonable standard hotels now have modem access points in their
room, although you will need a laptop of course. A growing number have
ethernet connections. Costs vary enormously (usual hotel telephone
rates to flat fees per 24 hours)

Some have access through the telly (again payable)

If the hotel has a business centre, then there will be access there
which may be free, but extensive web surfing is usually frowned on.

Info on such services is difficult to come by without checking
individual web sites or phoning the hotel, especially since it may
vary between different standards of room in the hotel. In general, if
the hotel caters for the business traveller there will be some sort of
access available. If it is aimed at the budget tourist, it's unlikely.

Ron
Old May 6th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Ron Reid
writes

Most reasonable standard hotels now have modem access points in their
room, although you will need a laptop of course. A growing number have
ethernet connections.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tend to steer clear of these for email download to avoid account and
password details running across the hotel n/w. Do others here worry
about this? or don't consider it's a problem?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old May 6th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Haigh

In article , bof
writes
In message , Ron Reid
writes

Most reasonable standard hotels now have modem access points in their
room, although you will need a laptop of course. A growing number have
ethernet connections.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tend to steer clear of these for email download to avoid account and
password details running across the hotel n/w. Do others here worry
about this? or don't consider it's a problem?

If using any sort of open system (public ethernet, WiFi), I either use
VPN into my network or SSH tunnels (less overhead if paying per byte for
transfers). Either way the entire session is then encrypted, making it
far more difficult to eavesdrop.

Obviously this is not an option if you don't have VPN access to your
office or home, or access to a "friendly" server to use as the
destination of your SSH tunnel (i.e. where you pop out unencrypted on
the internet).

Matt
--
Matthew Haigh --
GCRSoft, providing SMS solutions since 1996...
Old May 6th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , Matthew Haigh
writes
In article , bof
writes
In message , Ron Reid
writes

[...]

I can VPN into my homeoffice network, but if I then start a POP session
to the server at my ISP how can I ensure POP traffic is only routed via
the VPN, and doesn't appear directly on Ethernet link? (Any advice for
Win ME or XP welcome)

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old May 6th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

bof wrote:

In message , Ron Reid
writes

Most reasonable standard hotels now have modem access points in their
room, although you will need a laptop of course. A growing number have
ethernet connections.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I tend to steer clear of these for email download to avoid account and
password details running across the hotel n/w. Do others here worry
about this? or don't consider it's a problem?

Not really, but you can easily scan the hotel's TV channels with a
laptop and USB TV adapter and occasinally view the screens of other
people surfing the net, so Web-based TV is one to avoid if you're doing
anything business confidential (or illegal!)
Old May 6th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Haigh

In article , bof
writes
In message , Matthew Haigh
writes
If using any sort of open system (public ethernet, WiFi), I either use
VPN into my network or SSH tunnels (less overhead if paying per byte
for transfers). Either way the entire session is then encrypted,
making it far more difficult to eavesdrop.

I can VPN into my homeoffice network, but if I then start a POP session
to the server at my ISP how can I ensure POP traffic is only routed via
the VPN, and doesn't appear directly on Ethernet link? (Any advice for
Win ME or XP welcome)

Windows should just handle this for you (updating your routing when you
bring up the VPN). You can check by making sure that you have no other
network traffic running, then collect your mail. Both of the network
status indicators in the tray will flash simultaneously, showing that
the traffic is going over the VPN on top of the ethernet connection.

Depending upon how often you are likely to travel and your use of the
internet, you might find it far more cost effective to get either an
Orange mobile office card (25/month for 100MB) or a Voda 3G card if you
transfer more. From what I've seen, one night's ethernet in a reasonable
hotel seems to be around 25, so if your actual data quantities aren't
too heavy then using a mobile card is a cheaper as long as you use it
more than once a month.

Matt