BT 17070 line test accurate?

Old May 8th 04, 04:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sid Fishes

Default BT 17070 line test accurate?

story: our exchange has just gone live on Wednesday 5th May.

Plus Net give me an activation date for 12th May.

Friend who lives around the corner from me tells me this evening he checked his line using the BT line test procedure (17070), the
call back reported that the line could not be tested. So he installed his router, and low and behold, he is now enjoyin the benefits
of a 1MB line on Eclipse. (he was due to be activated this Monday).

So i try the BT line test, and i get the same call back report, "line cannot be tested". So i *think* my line is ADSL enabled too.

As i don't have the modem from Plus yet, i got a PCI Connexant ADSL modem and new filter, installed fine, setting used from the
PlusNet site, get a "line not active" report.

Rang Plus support, and they say the line won't be enabled until the date they stated. fair enough.

Q: how accurate is the 17070 BT line test regarding the "cannot test line" report and an ADSL enabled line?

Old May 8th 04, 06:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message
Q: how accurate is the 17070 BT line test regarding the "cannot test line"

report and an ADSL enabled line?

Its not.. 17070 works on my 2MB ADSL line - I just tried it...

Keep trying your PCI card/modem though - I would expect you to be activated
before the 12th...

Regards
Sunil

Old May 8th 04, 06:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sid Fishes

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message ...

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message
Q: how accurate is the 17070 BT line test regarding the "cannot test line"

report and an ADSL enabled line?

Its not.. 17070 works on my 2MB ADSL line - I just tried it...

Keep trying your PCI card/modem though - I would expect you to be activated
before the 12th...

Regards
Sunil

thanks Sunil. i was under the impression the test was 100% positive.

modem is constantly trying to synch, obviously nothing to synch with *just* yet.

Old May 8th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sid Fishes

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message ...

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message ...

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message
Q: how accurate is the 17070 BT line test regarding the "cannot test line"

report and an ADSL enabled line?

Its not.. 17070 works on my 2MB ADSL line - I just tried it...

Keep trying your PCI card/modem though - I would expect you to be activated
before the 12th...

Regards
Sunil

thanks Sunil. i was under the impression the test was 100% positive.

modem is constantly trying to synch, obviously nothing to synch with *just* yet.

beginning to wonder now is the new modem i bought (PCI Connexant ADSL) on the fritz?
have installed the latest XP drivers and all settings seem ok (0,38, tried all modulation settings)

taskbar icon just keeps alternating "ADSL connecting/disconnected", with or without the
RJ11 cable plugged into the modem.

Old May 8th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 8 May 2004 03:54:45 +0100, Sid Fishes
wrote:

[...]

Hi,

The last I heard about 17070 was that it was being withdrawn so I wouldn't
rely too heavily on the information you get from it.
Sometimes we do find that ADSL lines are activated early, sometimes it
isn't done until the activation date. It really depends on the
availability of a frames engineer at the exchange and whether any extra
work (DACS removal, extra line checks) needs to be done.
I'd recommend that you double check that your wiring and filters are all
set up correctly, take a look at the Tuturial forum on our portal at
http://forums.plus.net for more information as it might already be active,
if not keep an eye on the modem and it should come on by Wednesday.

--
Regards,

Old May 8th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Luvly Jubly

Just out of interest ... what are all the other options on this 17070 line
test I noticed one was 'Line cleanse' anyone know what they do?

--
'In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King'

Old May 8th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message
Q: how accurate is the 17070 BT line test regarding the "cannot
test line"

report and an ADSL enabled line?

Its not.. 17070 works on my 2MB ADSL line - I just tried it...

Keep trying your PCI card/modem though - I would expect you to be
activated before the 12th...

Regards
Sunil

thanks Sunil. i was under the impression the test was 100% positive.

modem is constantly trying to synch, obviously nothing to synch with
*just* yet.

Which test on 17070 are you guys using??

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old May 8th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Sid Fishes" wrote in message

[...]

I suspect the "cannot be tested" means you are down in the database as
being ADSL, not that you are actually connected yet.

Old May 9th 04, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sid Fishes wrote:
[...]

It isn't, as 17070 can & does run on DSL lines. Please rememeber that if
you do feel the need to run any line test (or indeed BT run one) your ADSL
service may drop synch, caused by the polarity changes inherent in the line
test...

Old May 9th 04, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
"Sid Fishes" wrote in message

[...]

It just means that for some reason the line can't be tested & the reasons
are many.....