Which ADSL modem/router?

Old May 8th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
root

Default Which ADSL modem/router?

Hi group,

I'm looking for advice on which ADSL modem/router I should get.
I've currently got three PCs (soon to be four or five) using a single
dial-up connection (not at the same time), which tend to take over my home
phone line about 95% of the time.

I'm hoping to move to an ADSL service in the next few weeks and have
selected PlusNet as an ISP on their 15/month service (is that a good
idea?). I am in a BT broadband area.

Now, I want to set up networking between the machines so they can share the
broadband connection. I am not going to order an ADSL modem from PlusNet
for this purpose. I need an ADSL modem/router that's capable of doing both
wireless (54g) and Ethernet (minimum 4 PCs at both 10/100 speeds). I also
need all these features:-

- NAT capability
- Must be compatible with Linux (SuSe, RedHat) and possibly UNIX (FreeBSD
and HP-UX)
- Firewall built-in (ideal, but can do without).
- Easy to set up/get started.
- Reasonable price (not hundreds!)

Can anyone recommend suitable models that suite my requirements? Any help
would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old May 8th 04, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"root" wrote in message
[...]

My choice satisfies all but the last criteria.
The Draytek 2600G

Top notch features, very secure. You get what you pay for. Do NOT cut
corners on Firewall security.

Old May 8th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

- Firewall built-in (ideal, but can do without).

Extreme folly not to have a hardware firewall on ADSL.

Old May 8th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
root

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
- Firewall built-in (ideal, but can do without).

Extreme folly not to have a hardware firewall on ADSL.

OK, point taken.

So which one do I get?

Old May 8th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

"root" wrote in message
snip
wireless (54g) and Ethernet (minimum 4 PCs at both 10/100 speeds). I also
need all these features:-

- NAT capability
- Must be compatible with Linux (SuSe, RedHat) and possibly UNIX (FreeBSD
and HP-UX)
- Firewall built-in (ideal, but can do without).
- Easy to set up/get started.
- Reasonable price (not hundreds!)

Can anyone recommend suitable models that suite my requirements? Any help
would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The SMC 7404WBRA has these features including a low price - the wireless
capability is only 802.11b (11 Mb) however. It has a parallel port print
server built in as well. It's reviewed here
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...c_7404wbra.asp

I have one and it works very well on Plusnet. Its cheap and very well
featured. I bought it from www.nickknows.com

Paul

Old May 8th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
root

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
"root" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Thanks for the very useful info, Paul.
I have checked-out both links you've posted and it looks like the "nick
knows" site has a nice (but albeit weirdly-priced) variety to choose from:-
e.g. they've got the SMC 7804WBRA for 88.13, whereas the 7404 model you
suggested is listed at 116. Am I paying extra for the basic model here
because it has a built in print server? The 7804 appears to have the 802.11g
technology which is slightly newer than the 802.11b.
Anyway, lots to think about there for the weekend.

Old May 9th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

This would be a good starting point to find out more.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Old May 9th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Boo

root wrote:
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

- Firewall built-in (ideal, but can do without).

Extreme folly not to have a hardware firewall on ADSL.

OK, point taken.

So which one do I get?

Well, if you're running Linux on some of your boxes then why not use one
of them as a firewall ?

--
Boo

Old May 9th 04, 03:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

"root" wrote in message
"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
"root" wrote in message
snip
[...]

I bought my 7404WBRA before the 7804WBRA became available but as you point
out it looks like the 7804WBRA would be even more suited to your needs if
you want a simpler unit without a print server built in. If it will only be
used for internet access then 802.11b will be more than enough capacity for
a 15 Plusnet account which only works at a fraction of that speed. If you
have to transfer lots of files between machines on your network however,
802.11g will speed things along a bit more.

Paul

Old May 9th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Kappler

I would endorse the reference to the ADSL guide website to select a an
appropriate model, but then I suggest you review comments of the
different models in this newsgroup.

I looked at various options but kept getting put off by comments here.

I also had experience of a Draytek 2200USB and so I paid the extra
money and.....

I've just bought a Draytek 2600VG at 177.

Has the hardware firewall, is also an 802.11g gateway, and will
support voice calls using VOIP.

Hope this helps.

JK