No boot with ADSL modem plugged in...

Old May 8th 04, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

Default No boot with ADSL modem plugged in...

My PC doesn't boot with the USB ADSL modem plugged in.

Luckily its a laptop so i can pull it out and push it back without too much
trouble, however is there a fix for it?

I am using a the Thompson Speedtouch 330 with a packard bell laptop running
on Windows XP.

Thanks
Domestos

Old May 8th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My PC doesn't boot with the USB ADSL modem plugged in.
I am using a the Thompson Speedtouch 330 with a packard bell laptop running
on Windows XP.

The Speedtouch is known for causing problems with power drain - basically
it tries to pull too much power from the USB port than USB ports are
designed to give :-}

This can lead to the USB ports shutting down, which can only be "cured"
by a reboot, and I would guess yours is a similar problem.

Some people have reported success by using a powered USB hub (not just a
4 way splitter), but I don`t know how you`d fare.

Old May 8th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Domestos" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
My PC doesn't boot with the USB ADSL modem plugged in.

Luckily its a laptop so i can pull it out and push it back without too

much
trouble, however is there a fix for it?

I am using a the Thompson Speedtouch 330 with a packard bell laptop

running
on Windows XP.

What version drivers for your 330

Old May 8th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

What version drivers for your 330

firmware - 330.1.1.11
STDialup.exe - 301.0.0.12
Everything else - 301.0.0.12

Old May 8th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

Bugger - now i'm getting problems where my download speeds are great..
however no pictures are uploaded with the webpages...

I've checked the check in explorer to show pictures ... this worked fine
yesterday and today now it just seems to have stopped !

Any ideas?

Domestos

Old May 8th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

Bugger - now i'm getting problems where my download speeds are great..
however no pictures are uploaded with the webpages...

Okay can somebody tell me what i've missed here?

I have just cleared out my internet history and the pictures are uploading
again?

I am flumpped!

Domestos

Old May 9th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair J. Smith

"Domestos" wrote in message

Bugger - now i'm getting problems where my download speeds are great..
however no pictures are uploaded with the webpages...

Okay can somebody tell me what i've missed here?

I have just cleared out my internet history and the pictures are uploading
again?

I am flumpped!

Domestos

Do youy mean internet history or your files in the temp directory? If it is
the files, then your cache was probably full. You need to delete these more
often or set your temporary cache to a bigger size.

Old May 9th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:17:18 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Domestos"
strung together this:

My PC doesn't boot with the USB ADSL modem plugged in.

Luckily its a laptop so i can pull it out and push it back without too much
trouble, however is there a fix for it?

Yes, it's a two two stage remedial upgrade package.

Step1, Throw crappy USB modem in bin.
Step2, Plug in proper ethernet modem.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old May 9th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair J. Smith

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:17:18 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Domestos"
strung together this:

Snip

Yes, it's a two two stage remedial upgrade package.

Step1, Throw crappy USB modem in bin.
Step2, Plug in proper ethernet modem.

Not so good, if you are already running out of power point sockets and up to
your neck in wiring already. USB cuts down on cables and mess.

Old May 9th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 9 May 2004 20:21:31 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Alastair
J. Smith" strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:17:18 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband "Domestos"
strung together this:

Snip

Yes, it's a two two stage remedial upgrade package.

Step1, Throw crappy USB modem in bin.
Step2, Plug in proper ethernet modem.

Not so good, if you are already running out of power point sockets

Buy a 4 way adaptor, plug it in.

and up to
your neck in wiring already. USB cuts down on cables and mess.

Yes, I'll half agree with you on that one. Although if excessive
wiring is the bain of your life, buy wireless. I know it costs, I
wasn't recommending it as a solution to the OP, just a general
workaround. Personally, I'd rather plug 1 extra cable into the mains
than have something that looks tidy but doesn't work properly. It's
not that much extra work.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.