ADSL + a second line and Wireless + DECT questions!

Old May 9th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Default ADSL + a second line and Wireless + DECT questions!

Hi all,

Just a couple of noob questions:

1). If I get ADSL in, can I at a latter date get a second phone line in?
And if so, does it involve BT digging up the road and/or additional cost?

2). I'm planning to get a Netgear GD834G ADSL modem/wireless jobbie, and
just want to make sure... it won't interfer with my DECT phones will it?

TIA!

--
Peter.
Old May 9th 04, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter X" wrote in message
1). If I get ADSL in, can I at a latter date get a second phone line in?

Yes.

And if so, does it involve BT digging up the road and/or additional cost?

It will involve the same amount of work as it would, if you didn't have
ADSL.

A new BT line costs around £75 - its not normally necessary for BT to
install new wiring - as the BT wires coming into houses often have two (or
more) spares in the cable - but they would need to fit a 2nd master socket.

If they do need to install new wiring, its included in the fee..

2). I'm planning to get a Netgear GD834G ADSL modem/wireless jobbie, and
just want to make sure... it won't interfer with my DECT phones will it?

No.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 9th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow, Sam J

"Peter X" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just a couple of noob questions:

1). If I get ADSL in, can I at a latter date get a second phone line in?
And if so, does it involve BT digging up the road and/or additional cost?

If you currently have just one line installed then it would be subject to a
fee, generally it wouldn't mean digging up the road as BT put in more pairs
than are needed to cover extra lines usually anyway, it would generally make
no difference to the cost as its bt's problem how they provide it - that
said they could refuse if it was too difficult as they are only obliged to
provide the one line if I recall.

If you currently have a second line and cancel it you can later have it
reconnected, if the wiring is all there so no visit is required this is
normally free of charge, however you would be subject to a 12 month
contract.

2). I'm planning to get a Netgear GD834G ADSL modem/wireless jobbie, and
just want to make sure... it won't interfer with my DECT phones will it?

No, it works on different frequencies, I use a wireless network and two dect
systems in close proximity with no problem.

TIA!

Sam

--
Peter.

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.

Old May 9th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Albrow, Sam J wrote:

No, it works on different frequencies, I use a wireless network and two dect
systems in close proximity with no problem.

Actually, like wifi, UK DECT uses the 2.4GHz band but the DECT system is
pretty good at dodging anything else on the band - we have wifi + 5 DECT
phones inhouse and no problems.

Old May 9th 04, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Linker3000" wrote in message
Albrow, Sam J wrote:

No, it works on different frequencies, I use a wireless network and two

dect
systems in close proximity with no problem.

Actually, like wifi, UK DECT uses the 2.4GHz band but the DECT system is
pretty good at dodging anything else on the band - we have wifi + 5 DECT
phones inhouse and no problems.

Actually, DECT phones in the USA/North America use the same frequency as
WiFi - which can cause problems.

However, in the UK, DECT phones operate on a different frequency to WiFi.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 9th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
Actually, like wifi, UK DECT uses the 2.4GHz band but the DECT system is
pretty good at dodging anything else on the band - we have wifi + 5 DECT
phones inhouse and no problems.

Actually, DECT phones in the USA/North America use the same frequency as
WiFi - which can cause problems.

However, in the UK, DECT phones operate on a different frequency to WiFi.

Which of course is to do with the fact that US Cordless phones are not DECT
ones - given that stands for Digital *European* Cordless Telecommunications

So I should have said:

Cordless phones in the USA/North America etc use the same frequency as
WiFi - which can cause problems.

However, in the UK, DECT phones operate on a different frequency to WiFi.

Regards
Sujnil

Old May 9th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

So I should have said:

Cordless phones in the USA/North America etc use the same frequency as
WiFi - which can cause problems.

However, in the UK, DECT phones operate on a different frequency to WiFi.

Regards
Sujnil

Thanks everyone for replying -- thats great!

Best regards,

Peter.
Old May 12th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Peter X" wrote in message
1). If I get ADSL in, can I at a latter date get a second phone
line in?

Yes.

And if so, does it involve BT digging up the road and/or
additional cost?

It will involve the same amount of work as it would, if you didn't
have ADSL.

A new BT line costs around £75 - its not normally necessary for BT
to install new wiring - as the BT wires coming into houses often
have two (or more) spares in the cable - but they would need to
fit a 2nd master socket.

If they do need to install new wiring, its included in the fee..

Just a little appendum, on some estates (early 60's I think & fed UG) it was
standard practice to use a 2 pair feed to feed 2
semi detatched properties (in those days they didn't foresee the growth of
the telecoms market). So if both properties have got a phone line it could
get interesting.

The problem with the question is there isn't enough information for a full
complete answer only a generalised one.

So as for digging up the road, unlikely, digging up the pavement & garden
possibly but more information is required before any deffinite answer can be
given.....

Old May 12th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Peter X" wrote in message
1). If I get ADSL in, can I at a latter date get a second phone
line in?

Once you have adsl in rather than getting a second line you could look at
getting BT broadband voice instead of a second line.

See www.btbroadbandvoice.com for details

Paul

Old May 12th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hudsterou

Linker3000 wrote:
Albrow, Sam J wrote:

No, it works on different frequencies, I use a wireless network and
two dect systems in close proximity with no problem.

Actually, like wifi, UK DECT uses the 2.4GHz band but the DECT system
is pretty good at dodging anything else on the band - we have wifi +
5 DECT phones inhouse and no problems.

Actually, unlike wifi, UK DECT doesn't use the 2.4GHz band but don't let
that get in the way of something you want to make up.

--
Brand New Netgear RT328 ISDN router
Suitable for ISDN, Midband or Home Highway