Is there a penalty to switch from HH to Broadband?

Old May 9th 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donovan Palmer

Default Is there a penalty to switch from HH to Broadband?

Old May 9th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 9 May 2004 07:34:01 UTC, "Donovan Palmer"
wrote:

I wondered if anyone knows if there is a penalty to switch from BT
Home Highway to Broadband before the minimum 12 months contract is
up? When I moved to my new home in Feb, there was no broadband in
sight, but now we are due to have it on our exchange in September.
This puts me 5 months short of 12!

It is virtually certain that, in addition to the conversion charges,
you'll have to pay the remainder of the first 12 months' rental for the
HH.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old May 9th 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Donovan Palmer" wrote in message
. ..

I wondered if anyone knows if there is a penalty to switch from BT
Home Highway to Broadband before the minimum 12 months contract is
up? When I moved to my new home in Feb, there was no broadband in
sight, but now we are due to have it on our exchange in September.
This puts me 5 months short of 12!

If you sign up with an ISP other than BT you will incure cancellation
charges. If on the otherhand you take out BT Broadband they will pay off
your existing Homehighway contract to the other BT dept..

Old May 9th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Donovan Palmer

Old May 9th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If on the otherhand you take out BT Broadband they will pay off
your existing Homehighway contract to the other BT dept

This could be interesting - are the HH side and BTBroadband classed as
different companies now ?

If so, you might have the basis of a complaint to the regulator about
unfair subsidisation of a "seperate" company.

BTBroadband is supposed to be a seperate company as of at least 18 months
ago when I enquired about obtaining data under the terms of the Data
Protection Act - they were being complete arses saying I was in breach of
an "unmetered" account, and refused to say how or by whom the decision
had been made, and couldn`t provide any figures or dates to say when I
was in breach.

Old May 9th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Meggahurtz

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
If on the otherhand you take out BT Broadband they will pay off
your existing Homehighway contract to the other BT dept

If so, you might have the basis of a complaint to the regulator about
unfair subsidisation of a "seperate" company.

I was thinking the same thing when I was offered this "Get out Clause"

Old May 9th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
banzai

When I enquired about this BT told me i'd be held to the full 12 months HH
(midband actually) contract as well as the adsl connection & monthly
charges - which i was somewhat miffed about but didn't take it further

-service-com...

Old May 10th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Meggahurtz" wrote in message -service-com...
"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
If on the otherhand you take out BT Broadband they will pay off
your existing Homehighway contract to the other BT dept

If so, you might have the basis of a complaint to the regulator about
unfair subsidisation of a "seperate" company.

I was thinking the same thing when I was offered this "Get out Clause"

I think you will find that, if you saw how this is actually done you
will see that they do work as two companies, and what they are
offering is no diferent to what ANY isp could and sometimes do offer.
Basicly BTBroadband pay off your HH account, this payment is take from
the profit that they hope to make with you a a customer. It makes for
one hell of a confusing bill after changeover but it has to show the
movement of payments.

Its little different to offering "free" modems or "free" activation.

Ian